“POONIN'....” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 326 Activities in Key West
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Spend a relaxing day in the beautiful backcountry off of Key west. You can either go on a 16ft flats skiff chasing tarpon, bonefish, permit and sharks or take out the 23ft Hurricane deck boat and have a custom made trip for up to 6 people.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Trenton, New Jersey, United States
“POONIN'....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Even though i was on the tail end of the tarpon season, capt. Tony Skinner still put me on fish..Not only did we encounter multiple schools of tarpon rolling on the surface within cast-able distance, but we also encountered many smaller schools roaming the flats...After landing a few tarpon on the capt.'s supplied 12wt, we pressed on for greater things...(wading and stalking permit on a huge flat with incredible scenery). I enjoyed every second of my trip! Tony is knowledgeable guide who understands the water, tides, gear, and most importantly the fish! I am counting the days until i can make next trip down to fish with him!.....Tight Lines!!!

Visited June 2012

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Best guide in Key West”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I fished with Tony recently on a trip to Key West and have nothing but positive things to say. We had a fantastic day on the water, jumping two tarpon before the sun even came up on a fly. After an hour long fight with some good-natured jokes from the back of the boat, I had my first tarpon at the boat; an 80 pounder. After multiple looks and one more tarpon in the boat, we switched to bonefish and eventually found a few. Tony was a fantastic guide. great fisherman, and phenomenal fly caster. He's laid back and fun to fish with, but willing to provide advice if warranted or requested, but never with any condescension. I'm already looking forward to my next trip to the Keys so that we can fish with Tony again. Highly recommended!

Visited June 2012
Miami, Florida, United States
“Went the extra mile .. literally.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Tony was awesome. We headed out in the morning for some tarpon fishing and hooked into a nice one. After the tarpon quit feeding we went out for shark, but it was a slow day on the water and Tony took us to several places. He went in over time for us to make sure we got a fish on the line that day, and we did ... we caught several sharks.

Tony was a pleasure to be around all day and was very patient with my rusting casting skills. Definitely plan to do another trip with him in the future!

Whitefish, Montana
“TARPON TONY!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

If you are looking for a flats fishing guide in Key West you need look no further. Captain Tony is your man. I am an avid fly fisherman living in Montana among some blue ribbon trout streams. As with most fisherman, we dream of big fish caught on the fly. One of the most prestigious is the TARPON.....Silver King. For years tarpon have made their way into some of my best fishing dreams. I found myself in Key West in May, the prime time for big tarpon migrating through the flats of Key West. By luck I found Tony and scheduled a trip. We left the dock before first light and I was as excited as a kid in a candy store. If you have ever seen the keys from the air you know how expansive they are........literally thousands of square miles of habitat for these fish to move through. Well, within 15 minutes of leaving the dock I was standing on the bow of Tony's flats skiff with fish rolling and slapping all around us. Needless to say I was very impressed that Tony knew exactly where these fish would be. After a few minutes of getting used to casting a 12 wt rod and getting some good casting pointers from Tony, it was ON! Bear in mind that my cast is mediocre at best, but no matter, Tony got me close enough to fish that my casting didn't need to be spot on like in the fishing movies. What I am getting at is that from the videos and articles I have seen and read it looks like only pro fly casters can get to fish. Not true. 15 minutes after finding fish I hooked up. It was unbelievable, for about 3 seconds! Being a trout fisherman I made the brutal mistake of trying to set the hook by lifting the rod tip. Bad plan. Tony explained, with incredible patience and professionalism, how to properly set the hook and "bow to the King" when they jump, which is often and with fury. A few casts later I had another one on. This time, aided by Tony's advice and incredible boat handling, I had the pleasure of fighting a beautiful fish all the way to the boat for a few pictures and a minute of silent awe and contemplation. I have spent a lot of time with fishing and hunting and river guides over the years. I have come to appreciate the good ones because there are some lousy ones out there. Then there are a few really great ones. Tony falls squarely into that last category. If I am lucky I will make my way back to this beautiful edge of the world to chase some other species of flats fish..............I only hope Tony will be available when I do.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Awesome Fishing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I surprised my husband with a trip to Key West in early May for Tarpon fishing. Something he has always dreamed of doing. Due to weather conditions, fishing was challenging, but still, my husband and I both caught our first Tarpon and also a 40 lb. king fish. Tony knows the area's best fishing spots and when to be there. Tony is very friendly, patient, professional and a great instructor. He also has a great sense of humor-- We really enjoyed our two fishing trips.We really feel like we lucked out in our choice of guides and made a new friend, and are already planning our next trip with him.