“Stunning Rooms + Friendly Staff = Return Visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Gates Hotel | Key West

You added The Gates Hotel | Key West to your Saves list
The Gates Hotel | Key West
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3824 N. Roosevelt Blvd., Key West, FL 33040 (Formerly Quality Inn Key West)   |
Announcement
Brand New Hotel!
Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in Key West
Miami, Florida
“Stunning Rooms + Friendly Staff = Return Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Listen, I love a good B&B as much as the next gal. Truly. And Key West is chock full of 'em. Some stand out, while others, well...anyway. It's a roll of the dice––looks and service-wise. You know what I mean.

First thing you should know is that The Gates is *not* a B&B. It's a renovation of a former Comfort Inn. Don't freak out. There's nary a shadow of its former incarnation lingering about. I noticed the differences beginning with check-in, where I was greeted with a rum cocktail using liquor that had been distilled on the island (hat tip, Key West Legal Rum). The vibe in the lobby: Hamptons-esque. Whitewashed wood, wicker, and lots of natural light illuminating the space. Just a beach-y, light and airy feeling all the way around.

That same vibe continued into my room. Spacious. Well appointed. Clean. The bath products (Paul Mitchell Awapuhi) and Turkish cotton towels were incredibly luxurious. My bed featured a particularly firm mattress covered in deliciously crisp, cool white sheets. It was hell bent on convincing me to take a pass on the pool and linger inside all day.

While tempting, the lure of Rum Row proved to be too much. The staff kept the Champagne flowing, making sure my glass was in a perpetual state of "full." (Danger Will Robinson, Danger!!) They also provided my husband and I with a robust stogie from the island's oldest operating cigar manufacturer, Rodriguez Cigars. (And if you happen to run into David, the owner of Rodriguez Cigar, count yourself as hella lucky. Sit back and shoot the breeze with him for a bit. You'll see why.)

When I visited, the food and beverage program had yet to launch, but should be available by now. It's catered by a permanent food truck and has plenty of promising offerings (braised-beef arepas and pulled-pork sliders, hello).

Con: it's located in New Town, so the hike down to the action could get cumbersome. Maybe an opportunity for shuttle service? Until then, rent yourself a scooter and vacation the heck out of Key West.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Chelsea V, Manager at The Gates Hotel | Key West, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Jackie G,
Wow! Delighted to hear that you enjoyed our hotel- both the rooms and the welcome drink! Would love to have you back again soon!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Good rooms and brand new. Very comfortable beds. And a very friendly barman who prepares the best drinks. Thanks Jesus. Unfortunately constructions on the other side of the street. No breakfast, just coffee in the lobby. No food available at the moment.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Chelsea V, Manager at The Gates Hotel | Key West, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Enjoygoodlive,
I am happy that Jesus took good care of you at Rum Row! We are working on a food option that will be ready very soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

This is a new hotel that was fantastic! The rooms are well appointed, clean and comfortable. The bed, linens and pillows are a dream. The staff was helpful and unforgettable. You are two miles from Duval street which is a plus when you want to escape the traffic, noise for a relaxing evening. They have live entertainment every evening during the week with a fantastic pool and bar. The price is reasonable, we will stay here on our next visit. the only downfall is not having a restaurant.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Chelsea V, Manager at The Gates Hotel | Key West, responded to this review, 5 days ago
csglassford,
Thank you for the great feedback! Glad you were very comfortable in our rooms! We have some great food options that are coming very soon! I apologize that they were not up and running for your stay. Please return and let me know so I can ensure you can experience this!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Fresh and clean rooms topped off by an excellent staff. We will be back for sure and the fact they are dog friendly is a bonus. The pool and Rum Row Bar are a great place to unwind and relax with friends.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
superhawk996,
I hope your travels bring you back here soon! Fantastic that you got a chance to relax and enjoy our pool and Rum Row!
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The welcoming lobby is adorable, chic and very boutique. I arrived in the late evening, the lobby was very ambient and the staff was welcoming, and very helpful.

The rest of the week, the entire staff was amazing. Nice, friendly, extremely helpful, checking in and asked about our stay whenever we saw them around.

Although a bit on the smaller side (because the hotel is the shell of an old Quality Inn), the rooms were pristine and had the most amazing decor. And I was obsessed with the bathroom products provided! I would 100% come back to this hotel, with friends or on a romantic trip.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Taylor N,
Thank you for the great feedback! Happy you liked the products we use in the bathroom- we love them too! Please return again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed here with my parents this past Friday night. Its only one month old, and if it stays as great as it is now it will be a top competitor to all hotels in key west. Its location is great, right as you come into key west but away from the craziness of downtown, yet only a 5 min drive from anywhere (great beach or old town). The room was top notch...very trendy, comfortable, and clean. Great wifi with tablets in the room in case u don't have ur own. The pool and bar area are very nice. The only complaint I have is there is no jacuzzi:) I slept on couch that makes a bed (my parents slept in king size bed) and it was one of my best nights sleep! Feels like a real bed. The price is great too...however I can imagine it will only go up as it gets more popular:/ I would 100% recommend this to families or singles!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Amy C,
I am so glad you and your parents had a great stay! Happy that you enjoyed our pull out sofa as well. Please return again and let me know when you plan on staying!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I've wanted to go back to Key West for a long time. And now that I have, I agree that it is one of the most magical places I have ever visited. Last time I stayed in Key West the options were all very similar. So when I noticed the Gates Hotel on Facebook I was surprised how slick it looked, and my experience in person was just the same.

First the staff were great. We were greeted at the door of the Gates by a team who overextended themselves to welcome us and make our stay enjoyable. Even though the hotel has only just opened, the team (and even the General Manager) were visible and enthusiastic through out the weekend and made every effort to make sure all our needs were met - even grabbing me a Martone Cycling bike (how chic!) to potter around on when I asked about bike hire near the hotel. How fantastic!

Our room had a have a great look and feel, with ash-wood boards and pops of yellow and purple. Loved the throwback to Key West history and the clever additions (like the tablet next to the bed and the books) - it is clearly well conceived. The hotel felt modern and a breath of fresh air and I did like the location - it is far enough away from Duval Street to be a more classy experience, but a few min away by car or a nice bike ride if you need to go. The resort is a must-stay, and Key West is worthy of your bucket list! Will be back!!!!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
MrGChr,
How great to hear! Made all of us here at the Gates Hotel smile that you enjoyed your stay! Please return soon!

Been to The Gates Hotel | Key West? Share your experiences!