“I wish Room 204 Was My Apartment!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Click for Summer Special
Ranked #19 of 41 hotels in Key West
Cocoa Beach, Florida
“I wish Room 204 Was My Apartment!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I had initially/ blindly reserved at The Inn at Key West; I am so grateful I continued to reaserch and came across the Silver Palms Inn. It's fantastically located just north of Duval Street, walking distance from the shops, pubs, and restaurants. The hotel is simple and clean on the outside, but let me tell you, I wish I lived in room 204. Beautiful, clean Jr. King suite with a balcony overlooking the activity on Truman Ave. It's says a lot when an active couple in their late 20s choose to come cozy up in their room vs hit the night action. Thank you for being conventiently located not directly on the main strip, but in just the right location for R&R and to easliy walk or bike to everything. Love the cleanliness, clean color scheme and how comfortable the bed and linens are. And the lemonade in the lobby, don't ever get rid of it! I'll be back just for that! Thanks for making our stay so easy, comfortable and memorable!

Room Tip: Our room (204) was beautiful and overlooked Truman Ave. If was fun to watch all the foot traffic, bu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jennifer S, General Manager at Silver Palms Inn, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Bewitched22:

Thank you for choosing to stay with us as the Silver Palms Inn. We're glad to hear that you felt that your research paid off! We are delighted that you fully enjoyed your stay in room 204. Please feel free to give us a call the next time you plan on coming to Key West. We'll be more than happy to try to reserve 204 for you again. As for the lemonade...no need to worry. That is one of our special touches that won't be going anywhere! We'll be sure to have a nice cold glass waiting for you the next time you arrive.

846 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Sebring, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The silver Palms was a beautiful hotel. It was very close to Duvall and situated close to the center. The rooms were very nice with lovely balconies. The pool looked great, although I didn't get to try it this time, a lot of people were enjoying it. The parking was great and seemed more private then street parking. It had a nice breakfast. Boiled eggs for protein and danish, bagels, cereal for us carb people. Staff was very friendly. Alittle noisy one night from next door B&B, Buti its Key West. Don't go if you want a quiet time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear marissa l:

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review about your stay. We're sorry you weren't able to take advantage of using the pool. Now that just gives you another reason to come back to Key West and stay with us again! Please feel free to give us a call to make your future reservations. Our friendly staff will be more than willing to assist you.
Myrtle Beach SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel is stunning. It is clean, fresh, beautifully furnished, and updated. The pool area is gorgeous and the breakfast was wonderful too. The hotel staff went to Croissants de France in Key West to get some of their breakfast items, which were delicious (Hint: try the almond croissants)!! The staff were the most friendly and professional staff I have seen yet. Free parking. A couple of blocks from Duval. Very safe. The only downside was the location of our "city view" room, whose balcony overlooked an unattractive laundry service with roosters running around everywhere. Still, sitting out on the porch was very nice (and a rare instance, as we did not have time to stay in the room much!). The room had plantation shutters...no need for screens as I never saw a bug or fly flying in my room or anywhere in Key West, for that matter! If the balcony view is really important to you, get a pool view, not a city view. On a side note, after owning a small construction company, I can honestly say that the grout job in our bathroom was perfect. Impressive bath. Next time I go to Key West, I will be very disappointed if Silver Palms is unavailable. FYI: Key West hotels will add a resort tax to your bill, no matter where you book (hotels.com had a great price for the 2 nights I was there, but did not include the $15 per night resort tax). I stayed after Fantasy Fest but before the Parrothead convention. Take the City Tour bus and go to 12 stops around Key West all day whenever you want to and get on and off whenever you want to! Gil and his crew were very informative and happy to do what they do!

Room Tip: The only downside was to the location of our "city view" room, whose balcony overlooked an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear dunebugandmissbug:

You make us feel like gold for writing such a nice review about your stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We're glad that you enjoyed the breakfast that we offer every morning. The almond croissants that we get delivered fresh every morning from Croissants de France are always a favorite with our guests. It looks like we just gained another fan! Please feel free to call us the next time you come to Key West for a visit. We'd love to make reservations for you!
Plainfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the Silver Palms in Key West. Great location off Duval just far enough away to be quiet yet close enough to walk to all the attractions and resturaunts. Room was large and very clean. Pool was a tad small but I was happy they had one!! Continental Breakfast was provided daily so this added value in my eyes. Staff was friendly and helpful. Overall we had a great stay and I would recommend this hotel for the budget minded traveler.

Room Tip: The hotel provides ear plugs for guests to help drown out the crowing in the morning but that is par...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sue R:

Thank you for the great review about your stay with us! It's a pleasure to hear you enjoyed the amenities that we offer such as the continental breakfast to our guests. We truly appreciate your recommendations to your friends and colleagues. We just hope that you come back to visit us again too. Hope to see you soon!
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I decided to stay at the Silver Palms Inn for our destination wedding. It was nice, but if you're looking for super friendly concierge or quality breakfast (the orange juice in this tropical paradise was disgusting here), find another place to stay. If you want to be close to downtown, but off Duval, and want to stay in a super nice motel, this place is perfect. We had a nice, small room with a nice balcony. The pool was also nice, but it is attached to the parking lot.

Basically, if you don't care where you're staying and want basic, no hassle accommodations then this place will work for you. If you want something a little nicer (say, you're getting married and don't know what you're getting yourself into), find another place to stay.

Room Tip: There are cute B&Bs for the same price to less right around the corner that offer WAY more than...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear HKF86:

On behalf of the entire staff at the Silver Palms Inn, we'd like to congratulate you on getting married. We are glad that you chose our hotel for your special trip to Key West. However, it is disappointing that your stay did not meet your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We wish you the best of luck and may you have continued happiness in beginning this new chapter of your lives together.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

For what you pay, I think this is as good as it gets in Key West. Comfortable, spacious room (just as big or bigger than our friend's room at the Waldorf), clean facilities, free parking and breakfast, and #1 selling point--you are perfectly located halfway between beach and Duval St buzz. Keep in mind it's not supposed to be the Ritz, and you'll be happy :)

My boyfriend and I decided to go here last-minute trip for a friend's wedding. We didn't want to spend too much on the hotel because we knew we wouldn't be in the room hardly at all. This was my boyfriend's first trip to Key West so I wanted him to have easy, WALKABLE access to the activity of Duval St and also to our friends' hotel on the beach at the Waldorf Reach resort. This was halfway between the two--maybe a bit closer to Duval buzz. So, this was absolutely perfect for our purposes.

Perfection:
1. Location. SInce it was my boyfriend's first time to Key West and I knew he'd love the mix of party and relaxation, I wanted him to easily experience it ALL in the short amount of time we had...and I did it! This hotel was within walking distance to both Duval Street activity and the beach. Specifically, for us it was perfect because our friends were staying at the Waldorf Reach resort, so we were able to hang out with them there on the resort beach which was great. Otherwise, the "walk" to Smathers Beach would have been a bit longer, but do-able.
2. Price. Key West accommodations can be moderately expensive, especially the closer you are to Duval St area. Some "nicer" places are a bit old and show it. Our basic "king city view balcony" room at Silver Palms was clean, spacious, and well-kept. You can get a hotel just as cheap or cheaper further away from Duval but I've done that and you end up paying the difference cab fare or parking anyway BUT you aren't in the middle of it all. No thanks. Plus there's free simple breakfast here, so that's money saved too.

Leaves Much to be Desired:
1. Neighborhood. Eek. During the day, a tad sketchy but seemed safe and walkable from Duvall St area. After dusk--no thanka. I was with a big, strong boyfriend so felt safe. But we literally walked past either a drug deal or a prostitution planning session, lol. So there is crime and where there is crime statistically you don't want to walk amongst it. Don't walk it alone, especially if you are a female. I wouldn't.
Mitigation: On slightly-sketchy neighborhood, no big deal, at night just take a cab or as I would suggest--a pedi cab! We had a super cool pedi-cab driver, er...peddler...from Serbia. Said he lives part of the year in Key West and part in his home, Serbia. Cost about $10-15 from Duvall St to our hotel w/tip.

2. Pool. If I'm at a beach location, I prefer a pool by the beach. This pool is in the middle of the parking lot. The pool itself is ok, but we didn't use it.
Mitigation: We hung out at our friends' hotel pool at the Waldorf. You can also just go to the beach--it's within walking distance.

3. Coffee. Sucked. Period.
Mitigation: Bring your own--there is a regular coffee maker in your room so you can just make your own. OR go to the coffee shop just a block away on your walk to Duvall St--I didn't try it, so not sure how it is. OR grab something at Starbucks on Duval--walkable distance.

Room Tip: I really don't think it matters much. It might be noisy if you had a room on the far right side...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Jennifer S, General Manager at Silver Palms Inn, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Country-n-City-Nash:

We are so happy to hear that you achieved your goal of making your boyfriend's first trip to Key West a memorable one! Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review about your experience at our hotel. We truly appreciate it! We hope that you and your boyfriend will choose to stay with us again on your return trip to Key West!
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Clean rooms, bright and modern decor/facilities. Grest location, good parking on site, only 5 min walk from the action yet quiet. Only negative is the breakfast - while free, is not much to write home about

Room Tip: Ask for room away from the street - preferably overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear martynrj:

Thank you for choosing the Silver Palms Inn for your accommodations for your trip to Key West. We truly appreciate your nice review about your recent stay with us. It is disappointing to hear that our breakfast that we offer was not to your standards. We here at the Silver Palms Inn like to think we have a very nice spread for our breakfast that we offer to our guests. We apologize that it was not to your expectations. We hope that the next time you come to Key West, you'll choose to stay with us again!

Been to Silver Palms Inn? Share your experiences!