“Average for me, Excellent per my Husband” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 291 activities in Key West
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: We have the only glass bottom Kayaks in Key West. Explore the remote islands of the Key West wildlife refuge with us and see Eagles, stingrays, Cormarants,Nurse Sharks, Herons, Lobster and lots of fish!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Woodridge, Illinois
10 attraction reviews
“Average for me, Excellent per my Husband”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I found this adventure to be average, but my husband loved it, so I compromised and rated them "Very Good." The crew was very nice--no doubt, but I am guessing all the companies need to give good customer service or they would be out of business. We departed the dock late, but the ride out to the National Refuge was fast. Then they loaded the kayaks into the water. We had about 12 couples/kayaks in our group, and if you were not right behind the guide (while in the kayaks) you could not hear what the guide was saying and couldn't see the sharks and other "creatures" he was pointing out. It was nice having the clear kayaks, but I am not sure it is worth the extra $ you pay as compared to some of the other companies. My husband and I had never been snorkeling before, so it was nice that the captain took us aside and gave us personal instructions before we left the boat. The snorkeling was a little boring, since we had to stay near the boat and so we saw the same things over and over again. Plus, with 20+ people all snorkeling in the same place, a lot of debris was getting kicked-up. Don't get me wrong, this was very interesting and I am glad we went, it just didn't "knock my socks off." Here's a tip: the bathroom on board the ship was disgusting, so make sure you go before you get on board.

Visited January 2013

Arlington, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“Clear kayak tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

We decided to do this on the spur of the moment. Just walked up with no reservations. I'm do glad we did. Sam and Matt were friendly and accommodating. The kayak tour of the mangroves was awesome. I'd been around the mangrove islands before but never cut through them in the narrow channels he took us through. He also new just where to find all the most interesting birds and underwater life. Then the took us to a sunken boat for snorkeling. If you've never dived on a shipwreck before, it's worth the experience. I always greatly prefer these small boat operators to the huge boats that take out a hundred people at a time. Ours was a nice group of about 8 people. . .

Falls Church, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“Best thing I did while in Key West”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This kayak/snorkeling trip gives you an excellent opportunity to interact directly with the natural beauty of Key West, and Chris and Sam are stellar guides. They steer clear of the cheesy schlock offered by a lot of tour companies and instead spend the time imparting their knowledge, which I really appreciated. The ride out to Archer Key is worthwhile in its own right, along with the history Chris gave us on the way. As we kayaked through mangroves (a welcome contrast to the chaos and tourism of Duval Street), Sam did an excellent job pointing out the various species of marine life and birds, much of which was new to me. It felt like we were much further than five miles from mainland Key West. I also enjoyed the snorkeling, but the best part of this trip is the kayaking. And the ride there and back. I'd go again in a heartbeat.

Visited January 2013
Chesapeake, Virginia
“glass bottom kayak tour in Key West”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We spent a week in Key West in May and we spent every day taking in the beauty and interesting attractions Key West had to offer. We loved it all: the charm, the history, the culture, the nature, the food and drink --- but our absolute favorite adventure was our trip with Clearly Unique Charters. The guys running the tour were outstanding. The ride in the Beachcat out to the refuge was amazing and we had such a good time kayaking around and exploring the mangroves. While snorkeling, we saw a sea turtle and a large ray or skate, as well as fish. Great highlight of Key West stay.

Visited May 2012
“Chris and Sam provided a friendly and interesting trip to a beautiful location in a relaxing and safe environment.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We loved that they customized the trip based on weather. The water was glass so they extended the kayaking instead of rushing into snorkeling. We saw sharks, turtles, sting ray, baracuda, crab, and birds from the clear kayaks. They stopped boat on return trip when they spotted dolphins - which swam right up to us. Highly recommend this!