“20 Thumbs Up!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Navy Lodge Key West

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Navy Lodge Key West
You added Navy Lodge Key West to your Saves list
Bldg 4114 Arthur Sawyer Rd, Key West Naval Air Station - Sigbee Park, Key West, FL 33040-5000   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“20 Thumbs Up!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I can not say enough good things about the Navy Lodge on Sigsbee! It really is a hidden gem!

Before my trip I searched for hours to try to figure out a place to stay. I was going to stay at the Travel Lodge because I wanted a full kitchen but for my 6 night, 5 day trip it would have cost me close to $1300.00. So I called the Navy Lodge. For the same trip I paid $80 a night equaling $480.00.

My room was 215, and it came complete with a full kitchen (Everything down to pots and measuring cups, with a full sized fridge), a really comfy bed, and a sparkling clean bathroom. Base was super quiet and relaxing and it was in a good location to either drive down to Duval or head to other keys.

I rented a car and flew into Miami because I was told the drive was beautiful and it is. I recommend everyone makes the drive at least once. We went on the Freedom II to the Dry Tortugas National Park and did the Ultimate Adventure with Fury which I highly recommend. There is a restaurant right off base called The Stoned Crab which is good. You are also right next to grocery stores and even a post office. On base you have the Sunset Lounge right behind you and the NEX and Commissary right across from you. Gas as always was cheaper on base. P.S. do not speed on base!

Room service was fabulous and kept our room clean daily. The people at the check in desk are a wealth of information. There is a soda and snack machine in the Lodge as well as a laundromat. You get a free bagged breakfast which includes bottled water, yogurt and a granola bar. There is free coffee all day too.

There is a deck outside for a smoke shack and a hammock with two charcoal grills. Parking is a breeze.

The only down side I can think of is that there is no elevator, so my very heavy bag had to be lugged by me. But all in all I really can not complain about anything.

I will most certainly save money again and stay here!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
GM-NLKW, General Manager at Navy Lodge Key West, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have an award winning staff that pride themselves in customer service. Your positive comments are appreciated. Hopefully we will see you again should you come back to beautiful Key West.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
North America
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Although the accommodations are a little ways away from the "main attraction" areas this place is really a gem. Located feet from the ocean water in a nice quiet area it is a great place to relax and unwind after a day visiting Key West. The building and rooms have some age to them but they are well kept and the staff is very nice and helpful. Rooms were some of the quietest I have been in for years. The base marina is a block away from the lodge where you can rent motor driven water craft and kayaks. The Ticket and Tours office is also just a block away where you can purchase discount attraction tickets. Last but not least the PX and commissary are also about a block away so you can stock up the fridge and cook in the kitchenette in the Lodge. One of the main reasons we stayed here was the price and the fact that they allowed us to bring our pet which is very rare for a military base. They even provide a small brown bag breakfast in the lobby in the mornings. Yes, it's not a name brand hotel but I am not sure I would want to stay anywhere else. If you don't mind a short trip to the main attraction areas this is a real gem that should be on your list.

Room Tip: If you do decide to bring your pet make sure you call 2 months in advance as they only have 4 rooms...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
slidell,la
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

The Navy Gateway Inn at Trumbo Point Ket West was a great place to stay,rooms are completely redone. The rooms are come are well appointed and clean. The hotel is located close to down town(not really in walking distance) but real close. The staff is the best Ive seen in a long time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Navy Lodge in Key West recently. It was the equivalent of an older Holiday Inn or LaQuinta on the inside BUT the front desk people treated everyone like we were like a Ritz Carlton; they would do anything they could to help out, provide directions, suggestions for places to eat and things to do. The maintenance of the hotel was was good and everything worked as expected. This is on an active annex so you will need your CAC (or retiree ID) and your passengers/friends will need to produce ID when visiting you at the annex.

We had a standard room with 2 beds, makeup area, a dark shower/potty area and a bright kitchenette. The rate could not be beat; it was 1/2 a comparable commercial hotel and 1/3 the cost of the Doubletree. Servicemembers can make reservations any time and retired servicemembers and DoD Civilains are welcomed as well and can make reservations up to 60 days in advance. ...and you better not forget because that 59th day is packed.

The kitchenette had a small fridge/freezer, one and a half countertops with plenty of room, a cooktop, and a microwave. We accidentally left a Cheerio on on the counter and there were lots of ants that showed up. This could have been corrected with occasional baiting with the ?Tero (orange and blue) ant baits inside or outside. ...no more ant problems...

A small bagged breakfast was provided and consisted of a danish, water, yogurt or granola bar, yogurt, and water. They also had cofee and tea available.

The WiFi internet in the hotel was $14 for the week though it was possible to use it for free in the lobby. The price was worth it as many hotels charge $9.99 PER DAY or couple it with their $12-20 "resort fee".

The floor was vacuumed clean but the carpet was filthy/dirty like months of grime buildup dirty. We walked in the room in our socks and barefoot once. The white socks were nearly black after a 15-20 minutes walking around and my feet were filthy. The tile in the bathroom and kitchen was spotless!

Got Babies? ...they better be small...
They do have a small pack and play that they can put in your room. The only pack and Play at the PX was the small variety as well, so we could not buy a larger one and leave it behind for soldiers, sailors, and airpeoples. If your baby is long or needs a larger pack and play to get comfy you may have the bite the bullet and ship yours or pay the ransom fee from the airlines. We were fortunate and found a friend of a friend that let us borrow their larger pack and play.

Overall we were very happy with the accomodations, the people were fantastic, and it was a nice place just a few minutes from the ever-so-great sunset lounge! Everywhere in Key West is 5-15 minutes away; you will spend more time looking for a parking spot than you will driving from the base to the city.

Save your money (hotels in Key West are NOT cheap) and support MWR; stay at the Navy Lodge!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

the Navy Inn and Suites has well-appointed, updated rooms. the common areas aren't that great but the rooms are alot like Hampton Inn at about 1/3 the cost. It's very clean and about a mile or so to the Duval Street area. you can get to duval or anywhere else on the key in 10-15 minutes on a bike. cars are a hassle here.

Room Tip: consider flying into key west rather than miami or fort lauderdale. the flight is more expensive but...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
U.S.A.F.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Way to go Navy. Lodging is very convenient to get to downtown Key West.
Rooms are a spacious size with a little kitchenette area for convenience
Staff was super friendly and helpful

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

This is for Military/DOD only with base access.
We stayed at two locations over the New Years break. First was
Navy Lodge at Sigsbee point. The lodge does not have many rooms, kind of small. Call ahead for sure. About 98 a night, compared to 800 in town over New Years, no joke!
The Navy Lodge has many pros: the exchange and commissary are right there. MWR is just across the way, the boat slips and rentals are well within walking distance, including the Sunset lounge ( never went there but it looked nice right next to water). The boat house rents out 21 foot fishing boats, not pontoons or family style cruisers, however you could you do it in these boats. They are cheap and available during non busy periods. We rented kayaks and snorkel gear on base, very helpful and friendly enlisted guys there. The only con is you will have to drive into the main area of Key West such as Mallory Square and such. Other than that, I enjoyed the lodge. FYI, the staff leaves at 8pm, you have to use the side entrance to get in and out. I do recommend the lodge without any reservation!

Trumbo Condo: These were great. Right inside the gate and about a 20 minute walk to the main area of Key West (just an estimate, I never walked it). Trumbo point is mostly the Gateway Inn, the condos, and a small mini mart that is open till about 7 pm. The location is nice, but there isn’t much else on this base called Trumbo point.
Driving to Duval street. Most parking is about $4 an hour. I’m from Chicago so that’s not bad. However, I parked inside of Truman Annex (Navy) and it was free.
Lodging overview: If you can get the condos, go for it. If you can’t, not a big deal. I liked the Navy Lodge just as much, and your not going here to sleep or stay in the room. We liked the condo because we had 7 people in our party with us. All of the staff was just fine everywhere we went. If you have a RV or camper, this is heaven for you. They are all over the Navy bases down there.

Commissary and NEX. The main ones are located at Sigsbee, which is about a 5 minute drive from Trumbo point.
Truman annex also has a MWR but was closed for the New Years weekend.
One major point: NAS Boca Chica is about 8 miles out from Key West. If you stay at the Navy INN, you could wind up out here. I think the Navy INN was 70 a night, the condo was 90 a night with a ton of room to move around.
Side notes. I stayed at Trumbo Point, if you take Bertha St. right across the island, you will wind up at Smathers Beach, just off of South Roosevelt BLVD. Is less than a 5 minute drive, and is a public beach. The was plenty of parking and we didn’t have to fight any crowds to find an open beach spot. The sand was real smooth and easy to walk on. We went to Naval Station Truman annex which also has beach but is was way too rocky, I do not recommend going there to swim. Other wise its ok. Smathers beach is also a good place to bring your kayak(from the base), sit in the water and watch the sunset. That’s what my three kids did, about 30 yards out from shore (kids are 14, 11,10).
My recommendations are:
Do Mallory Square for the sunset one night, then all the other nights at Smathers beach. Rent kayaks from one of the bases for the day, 18 dollars I think and you can take them in your car to another location (like we did). Bikes are 18 dollars a day at MWR too. Check out all MWR locations, Boca Chica, Truman annex, and Trumbo point (at the condos). They basically rent the same items, bikes and scuba gear.
Maps. Once you get in town, grab a map. They are free and everywhere. Once you come in town there is a CVS, Walgreens, Food Lion, Winn Dixie, and Public. Dominos Pizza has 5 dollar specials, we got three and ate and ran.
We stayed four nights and 5 days, that was just about enough. We had jet skis, parasailed, and kayaked. We all had a great time. For us, water stuff during the day, Duval Street, Mallory Square, and nightlife at night.
If you thought this was helpful, give me a thumbs up for an approval in the rating section.
Alternate lodging: About 2 and half hours out, the Air Force has homestead Air Force Base. 39 a night. This maybe useful for those who can’t make it in or have to leave early. Check it out at dodlodging.net. Its clean and safe.

Room Tip: There were no bad rooms at this price, if your picky then stay home!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Navy Lodge Key West? Share your experiences!