“Great Sea Food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Flaming Buoy Filet Co.

The Flaming Buoy Filet Co.
1100 Packer Street, Key West, FL 33040-3263
305-295-7970
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 361 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
East Aurora, New York
“Great Sea Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was a nice out of the hub-bub restaurant that had great menu. We each had one of the two fish specials of the evening, snapper with a banana salsa and mahi mahi with a butter lime sauce. Both delicious. Sides of grilled corn and mashed potatoes were delicious. My only minor complaint was that the waitress was somewhat lacksadasical. The owner came out several times and talked to us, so overall the service was very good. A definite try if you are in Key West and want to get off of the tourist circuit.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

london
“The specials were exactly that... Special!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Had the trio of fish to start ... The macaroni and lobster is delicious and then the ribs which were tasty too.... Great service off the beaten track but busy and worth finding...

Visited March 2013
“Hits and misses but worth the visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is an upscale version of Grunts. At our table two of us liked FB meal and 2 liked Grunts better. The trio appetizer is solid for the lobster Mac (Grunts with the truffle oil is a cut above) and the shrimp over a very tasty chutney. The key west ceviche concept of serving with fruit just does not work for me. The watermellon overpowers the fish. Ceviche should be as simple a fish dish as they come. Fish lime and cilantro and stop there. I had the grilled Mahi with lime butter sauce. Very fresh and clean taste. Love the grilled corn and mashed. Also try a side of the maple sweet mashed. The disappointment for us was the bacon wrapped scallops with maple glaze. What the chef called carmalized I would call burnt. Gritty charcoal taste just not appetizing. To their credit the owner came out and graciously took off our bill and was very accommodating.

Wine list and beer list excellent. I would go back for the Canadian ale alone. Nice and spicy and paired well with the food. Also very inventive and tasty desert menu. Atmosphere also very cozy. Located on a quiet residential street away for the Key West craziness.

Glastonbury, Connecticut
“A little bit of paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

If you are looking for an upscale experience with a unique menu, you will truly enjoy The Flaming Buoy. We had a wonderful meal that was well presented, filling, and extremely tasty. Our server, Amy, was outstanding, and the owners were so friendly. The restaurant is small, so make a reservation. It is worth it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Neenah, Wisconsin
“Spicy stir fry was unexpectedly good but bring milk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

We stumbled upon the Flaming Buoy by searching for gluten free options. This is our third trip to Key West and we had yet to dine here. The place is very small but nice. The service was fine. Not overly friendly but not rude. The meals came out quickly. I had the bacon wrapped scallops and while the dish was tasty the whole plate was sweet. I had no mix of salty/savory. It was too sweet for my palette so I shared with my table. My husband had the catch of the day and he described it as "ok." My son had Mac and cheese and it was homemade and looked really good. My parents both had the stir fry with shrimp and chicken. It was super HOT like 5 alarm hot. Not mentioned in the description my mom could barely eat it. It's a nice option but make sure you know what you order :)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere