“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Flaming Buoy Filet Co.

The Flaming Buoy Filet Co.
1100 Packer Street, Key West, FL 33040-3263
305-295-7970
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 337 Restaurants in Key West
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Scotland
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

We dined here on our first night in Key West and thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the laid back atmosphere.

Waitress was excellent, and helped with our menu choices and wine selection.

Enjoyed the trio starter and loved all three dishes. For main course, my wife had a local fish speciality which was very subtle in taste and I had the Lobster Thermidor - delicious.

Whilst the meal was not cheap it was worth every penny, and we would certainly recommend this restaurant to visitors to Key West.

“The best lobster I have ever eaten!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We wanted a memorable dinner for our last night in Key West and this was it. They were full inside but the hostess was great to pull some tables together on their patio to accomodate our party of 6. We were a little rowdy yet our waiter stayed good humored and gave us great service. Now to the important stuff, the food. We tried the lobster mac and cheese, lobster thermidor, steaks, grilled fish with banana salsa and avacado cheesecake. The main items were cooked and seasoned perfectly. The sides were just as heavenly in texture and flavor. The lobster thermidor was one of the best things I have ever eaten and I am a "foody" so that is a bold statement for me. It had the perfect blend of cheese, large chunks of lobster and seasonings so that it was a symphony to your taste buds. I actually ordered the grilled fish with banana salsa and found myself saddened to not have ordered the lobster but I stole enough bites to lighten my mood. The grilled fish was great but banana salsa not to my liking. The only thing not good was the cheesecake. I am sad to say it lacked any flavor and we ended up throwing the whole thing out. It is pricey so keep that in mind but worth every bite.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
North Carolina
“Quiet and classy away from the hubbub of Duval St”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The things I enjoyed most about the Flaming Buoy were the cozy, intimate atmosphere and the lobster mac n cheese! This was a nice, calm, relaxing break from the party atmosphere of Duval St, which was much needed by our third night in Key West. The food here was good, but there was still a bit of room for improvement - my fresh catch (mahi) in lime butter was outshined by the side dishes. The fish itself was a bit dry and lacked in flavor, however, the spinach, carrots, and "broccoli cake" that came with it were amazing. My husbands dish was similar - he ordered the caribbean stirfry and found his fish a bit bland while the rest of the dish was packed with flavor. I venture this place might be a vegetarian's dream! Our appetizers (lobster mac & cheese) were divine, and the half price wine special was the best price we'd seen in the city all week! The staff is knowledgable and experienced. For apps and dinner, our meal was well over $80 with tip.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Memphis, Tennessee
“underwhelmed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Bland food and unfriendly waitress made for a dissappointing evening.

Had heard good things about Flaming Buoy, but must have hit an off night.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
“Overpriced, Underwhelmed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Went for dinner during an evening in Key West. Food was bland. I paid $32 for filet that was dry and overcooked. The service was good but not enough to make up for the food. Other diners have raved, so perhaps the kitchen was just having an off night.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere