“Second Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 92 Key West B&B and Inns
Cincinnati, OH
“Second Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay at the inn. The first time we had a King Suite and this time we had a Queen Room by the pool. So we expected it to be smaller, but we loved the location and the back pool area, so the size of the room was not an issue. We were disappointed that the room had no working windows and an older and noisy air conditioner. This made the bathroom and even the room very hot and stuffy. The noise of the air conditioner turning on woke us up frequently through the night. The pool area was still lovely and the breakfast Mimosas are still a nice touch. But this time there were ashtrays on every single table in the small area which is basically enclosed. I do not remember the ashtrays being there last time, and I really do not like smoke, so I think I would have noticed it last time. Several guests chose to smoke and it was quite unpleasant in the small area. Even the housekeeper smoked out on the front porch with the front door open to a breezeway which caused smoke smell to permeate the small area where breakfast was served by the back door to the pool. So my rating was a five last time, but somewhere between a 3 and 4. I understand there are new owners. We may consider other lodging the next time we travel to Key West if we cannot get a room with windows away from the smoking area. We were in room 3 and do not recommend it.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
420Service, Manager at Seascape Tropical Inn, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
It's upsetting that your most recent visit left you feeling disappointed, especially since you have such fond memories of your first. We can completely understand why you were bothered by the smoke smell, Sue, and we apologize. While we wish that we could have resolved this during your time with us, we will certainly keep your comments in mind in the hopes of showing all of our future guests a 5-star experience. Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We hope to have another opportunity to impress you during your next trip to Key West.

Seascape Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Newport Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 3 day stay at Seascape.The place is located auround the corner from Duval St.and is close to everything. We had the King Room with a terrace upstairs, it was OK. The bathroom was tiny, and the sink was in the BR but I did not mind. There were no chairs in the bedroom so if you want to sit down you only have the bed. When you deal with an older home that has been modified to be a guest house you must understand its uniqueness so all those things were not a major issue for me.
The issues I have are with the front desk, they just are not trained in the hospitality business. The guest should not feel that he or she is bothering the person at the desk because she is constatly on a private phone call or that they are intruding because they have their friends hanging out side or sitting inside in the breakfast area. Afterall this is a business and the guest should be that one that feels comfortable.I think that the owner has a nice property in a good location but needs to rethink who is hired for the front desk.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
420Service, Manager at Seascape Tropical Inn, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Charlie and Ro,

We couldn't agree more: Guests should always feel comfortable. We're very sorry that we were unable to uphold this value during your stay, and we will certainly remind the rest of our team to be gracious at every turn. This is completely unlike us, so we hope to have another opportunity to welcoming you back next time you're looking to get away. Until then, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. We know that your words will only allow us to better ourselves.

Fort Pierce, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I (along with our dog) stayed here last summer and had the BEST time! The owners were very nice and personable, as well as, the employees. Excellent breakfast, and there is always wine and drinks available. Very quiet and private, yet close to Duval Street. Very clean and reasonably priced, too. Getting ready to book another vacation there this summer~CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us last summer! As you said, there is no better location to enjoy a peaceful getaway, while still being near the fun of Duval Street. We can't wait to have you back, Betsy! Thanks for the fabulous review.

Warm wishes,
Haverhill, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

After driving all morning down to KW from FTL, I was delighted to find a parking spot on Olivia in close proximity to the Guesthouse. There is no on site parking and you get lucky or you don't. Since I was in the neighborhood, I decided to drop in use the bathroom, having drove quite a while before arriving. This was several hours before check in time so consider the merits of this for yourself. I was told "No" and this was one of the 2 words that were "in common" for experiences going forward. Was booked through Expedia and could not escape the reservation or would have told the unhelpful host at the desk to cancel. No need to beat a dead horse. Breakfast should start at 7 but that also is their business. Another guest's question about breakfast at about 8:00 AM was untranscribable to the host and when reduced to the word "food" was answered with "No". Food was out at 9:00AM when I went in. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the property, its upkeep or ammenities based on reasonable sensibilities. It is beautiful and I hope the the normal staff was enjoying the holiday. But can you turn away travelers who need a comfort break because it is an inconvenience and can lack the necessary communication skills to answer simple questions fly? Later, back at the Baiha Mar in FTL, I thought, "way to wreck it".

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
420Service, Guest Relations Manager at Seascape Tropical Inn, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Sir, Thank-you for staying with us . After reviewing your comments, it appears that your experience was a bit mixed. We wish that your time with us had yielded a better impression, but we will certainly take your comments regarding our parking and breakfast times into consideration and aim to be clearer on these topics as we move forward. Thank-you for leaving such detailed feedback. We hope to have another opportunity to earn your business next time your're looking to get away.

Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I was so looking forward to my second stay at The Seascape and I was not disappointed - I had a wonderful time and Lyn was the most fantastic hostess! I feel that The Seascape has been excellent value in a perfect location, with a delicious breakfast to boot! When I was staying there (Dec 6 - 10), I learned that the inn had been sold and the new owners had taken over about 2 weeks previously. I had the chance to meet the new owner, who seemed very nice, and I told him not to change a thing - The Seascape is perfect the way it is! I hope he'll listen, and take note of the Tripadvisor reviews.....although I noticed on the website that the prices have already been raised.....

Room Tip: The front porch room is the largest, with Dade County pine walls and a queen bed. Very nice!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Glad to hear that we didn't disappoint! Thank you for the wonderful review, and for staying with us last December. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We love The Seascape and have already made reservations for a return in March. Marcia, Dave and Lynn all very helpful and location great. Rooms are a bit snug, but we don't go to Key West to sit in our room. Looking forward to returning in March.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
The team will be delighted to hear your kind words! Thank you for the excellent review.

Warm regards,
Livonia, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed in the Havana Suite, which has a king bed in the living room, a king bed in a loft, and a kitchenette. Note - The spiral steps up to the loft might be difficult for older people to negotiate. The inn had a large jacuzzi, several lounge chairs, and a breakfast area. The breakfast was good, featuring several kinds of rolls, bagels, fruit and mimosas. I thought the room was clean and the daily maid service was good. The inn is less than a block from Duval, so it was a great location. We were far enough down Duval that it was very quiet at the inn, but a short walk to the bars. All of the people we encountered were very friendly. I also like the friendly cat that lived on the property, since I was missing my dogs. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Seascape Tropical Inn? Share your experiences!