“Home Away from Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Key West Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Key West Bed and Breakfast
You added Key West Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
415 William Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #1 of 94 Key West B&B and Inns
Newark, Ohio
“Home Away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We love the Popular House in Key West ... simply love it. From the minute we arrive, we feel welcome. The rooms are clean and interesting. The breakfasts are amazing. The outside "cool tub" is refreshing. The guests are always friendly and interesting. We've stayed here twice and are going back in the fall. Key West is calling us and there's no place like our "home away from home" at the Popular House.

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice. Don't be discouraged by sharing bathrooms. I was and there is absolut...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Orient, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

After one year at Nassau House, my partner and I have made the Key West Bed and Breakfast our home-away-from-home for New Year's. We are lucky they have been able to accommodate us for the last 4 years and will be welcoming us home again this December. My partner is slightly conservative when it comes to lodging (gay B&B's are a little too much for him to try) and we've found an open, welcoming staff in the Key West Bed & Breakfast. Jody, the owner, and Goo, her dog, always provide a warm welcome and wet tongue (Goo, not Jody!). Liz is friendly, energetic and gregarious. She has a warm smile, an infectious laugh and a great sense of humor and, if she doesn't make you smile, there's something wrong with you!

The house is quaint and well decorated. Front porch is a nice place to people watch. Love the hammock on the upstairs balcony. Be careful on the side stairs. It's not the alcohol. They're sloped. It is an old house so, yes, wood floors and stairs do creak! HINTS: If you walk towards the sides of the steps instead of the center, they creak less. Also, take hard-soled shoes off if you're concerned about disturbing others. Some reviews say the walls are 'paper thin' but I've never heard enough through them to disturb me. We prefer fresh air when possible but the windows are as old as the house and the one in our room is held open by a board. Be careful. Each year, I drop it out the window at least once. One of these days, it's gonna fall on Tana and she's gonna come up and kick my butt!

Yes, parking is difficult but we realized years ago the way around that, if you don't fly into Key West, is to do a one-way rental, unload and take the car to the airport. Barring physical restrictions, there is nowhere in Key West that is more than a good walk or bike ride away. There is no need for a car so why hassle with one?

Our room is the pink room (no wisecracks, please). It is small but quite adequate with a bureau, dresser, garment hooks, mirror and wall mounted cabinet. The bed is fairly comfortable though it would be the one thing I would change. I like to sink into a soft mattress. That said, I've never had trouble sleeping there...even when I had to sleep on the couch downstairs. Okay, it was an early morning wakeup call when Jody got there to start breakfast but I digress. There is A/C and they provide a space heater which has actually come in handy a couple times. The room shares two bathrooms with three other rooms but, in 4 years, I've rarely had to wait on one to open up. (There are also rooms with private baths.) They are well stocked and kept clean. Tana must do a bathroom touch-up twenty times a day. HINT: Often, much of what you forgot can be found in the 'orphaned' supplies drawer by the sink.

Breakfast is continental as described so no one should expect fried eggs or French toast. (Fire code regulations prohibit them from cooking anything that produces grease laden vapors, anyway.) The fresh baked goods, however, are always awesome. Liz's sour cream apple pie (Yes, for breakfast) is scrumptious! I prefer to squeeze my orange juice but my partner prefers to pour his and they now have both options available each morning. The selection of fresh fruit is varied and bountiful. Fresh breads and bagels are always provided. Of course, coffee is kept brewed through the course of breakfast. I tend to put my dishes in the dishwasher and sometimes get growled at so just put them in the sink. And, yes, you don't necessarily get to sit at your own table on the deck, depending on the time and number of guests. But, it's a bed and breakfast so sit with someone new and talk. You may discover some awesome thing to do or some great restaurant that's worth a try. (I have a whole list of those to be reviewed in the appropriate spot...but go to Santiago's Bodega!)

The housekeeping staff is exceptional. Tana in particular has her radar tuned and, usually, our room is cleaned before we get back upstairs from breakfast. She takes pride in her work. She is friendly and always has a beautiful smile. (She's very easy on the eyes for those who like that kind of stuff! She does have a studly boyfriend though so don't try anything!) We don't see Dianna (I think I'm recalling her name correctly) that much but she also does an excellent job. Okay, I couldn't tell you the handyman/Mr. Fix-its name but he gets things done pronto. (I did think that he was Tana's boyfriend at one time but have been corrected on that account.)

The sauna and whirlpool are a great way to relax in the afternoon/evening. We used to think they were the best kept secrets in Key West because we pretty much had them to ourselves for the first three years. Last year, the word got out! The hot tub is turned on in the afternoon and the heat goes off at 11. You have to get instructions on sauna operations...or just stay away so I can have it to myself.

The staff is always quick to help with reservations and suggestions for dining. They also can steer you in the right direction on activities worth doing and gladly assist with booking those as well. Just ask. Arrange for bikes first thing. We typically rent them for the week.

Come home and sit a spell. You’re in for a great experience for your holiday. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Duebendorf CH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

This beautiful Bed & Breakfast is situated just a few minutes walk from Duval Street (shops & nightlife) and also from the waterfront (restaurants) in the old part of Key West. The staff are amazing, the room (2nd floor front) was large and beautifully furnished. The freshly prepared breakfast (fresh fruit, cakes, bagles & more) layed out in the kitchen and eaten in the back garden are the perfect start to the day. Would/will advise anyone planning a visit to Key West to stay here.

• Stayed July 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I can't imagine why anyone would choose to stay in a hotel instead of a quaint, classy, perfectly located place like this! From the moment we walked in the door, we were made to feel comfortable and welcome. We were given a tour of the home, along with a map of must see sites and eateries in the area. Our room was wonderfully equipped with a comfortable bed, great linens, and a window unit that kept us comfortable. We were on a hallway with a shared bathroom, but that never posed a problem. I have to say that what impressed us the most was the cleanliness of this home. It didn't matter when I went in the bathroom, it was wiped down, towels removed, trashcan empty, and the toilet paper folded. We would go down for breakfast, which was always beautiful and delicious, and when we returned to our room, the bed was made and everything was in its proper place. Back to the breakfast, it was always beautiful and delicious. We ate every morning in the lush, tropical garden out back. It was such a tranquil place with a water feature and great music. It really made me want to come home and replicate the feel. We can't wait to return and would recommend this place to anyone planning a trip to Key West!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Essex, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Super warm welcome, comprehensive tour of house, lightning explanation of where to go, where to eat and what to see from the moment we checked in.
A beautiful room - the travellers photos don't do the place justice. It's warm and welcoming and very homely, with a unique authentic feel to it. Would love to return.
Bathrooms really sweet, with good amenities and decor. Pool area just right after a days street pounding, towels for beach provided too.
Breakfast fresh, healthy and plentiful.
Good location, just a few minutes walk from anywhere in town, in a quiet, upmarket residential area.
Only niggle if I really had to find one would be the slightly saggy bed, but overall this did not detract from our enjoyment of the stay.

Room Tip: Mo's room on second floor is right across from two lovely bathrooms, and has a street view. It a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Prior Lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

The Popular House

It’s no mistake this place has the name it does!!

I began my stay in the Blue Room for one night – and loved it. Then because of incoming reservations I was moved to the Yellow Room which I had been made aware of when initially booking my trip. The Blue room was bigger but I actually enjoyed the Yellow Room even more!

Never have I stayed somewhere with so much attention to cleanliness. Truly amazing how clean and how quickly everything is maintained!!! I would go down for breakfast in the morning and my room would be made up most days by the time I returned. Comfortable beds and pillows. Cozy sheets! Big shout out to Tanya for this fabulous service!

I met these fabulous people who worked there (in order of appearance – Lynn, Liz and Tricia!!!) Any question I had was eagerly answered (and I had many), maps were marked, and suggestions were made!! These three women were amazing – friendly, helpful, kind, considerate and generous. Thank you!

It was an especially fun treat when the delightful dog, Goo, came for the day!

Breakfast was delicious, along with a treasure – a do it yourself juice maker! Every day there was a different homemade item to eat – pies, cakes, breads! Totally tasty!! These are made on site by Lynn, Liz or Tricia!

I rented a bike for the week from them which was in good working order. Most mornings I biked, afternoons and evenings were spent walking. This is a wonderful location to the Wharf and Duvall Street, and really anywhere in Old Town is accessible from this spot.

My stay was for 7 nights and it truly felt like I was leaving my home in Key West when it came time to return to my actual home Minnesota!

Thanks so much for a wonderful stay. It was truly a fabulous experience. On my next trip to Key West, The Popular House, is the only destination I have in mind!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We don't remember how many times we have stayed there at this point but the Key West Bed and Breakfast - The Popular House is without question THE place to stay in Key West. Jodi (the owner), Liz (doer of all things) and the rest of the staff continually go out of their way to make sure we have a great visit every time (and always welcome us "back home!). Centrally located, bikes available on the premises, a delicious (and healthy) breakfast to start each day, lots of quaint places to relax, refreshing soak in the spa, or lounge in a hammock...who could ask for more. Of course, this IS Key West so how much time to spend hanging out is up to you. Regardless, we just had another great three days with much thanks going to KWB&B! We love you all!

Room Tip: Range of rooms available pending how much you want to spend. All are quaint and comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Key West Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!