“The Grand Guesthouse is more than Grand!” 5 of 5 stars

Free parking
Ranked #36 of 96 Key West B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lake Worth, Florida
“The Grand Guesthouse is more than Grand!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

A much needed “get-away” for my husband and I became a magnificent experience. Derek, definitely has a heart for what he does and we felt “right at home” from the moment we walked in the door and were asked if we would like a complementary beverage! Derek answered all our questions about all the fun and interesting places that we wanted to visit in Key West; and also gave us some very good suggestions for alternative places “off of the beaten path” to visit, that otherwise we would have not known about; the sunset was spectacular, (thank you). We loved the fact that we were right in the middle of everything, yet there was enough “space” to relax; unwind; and enjoy peace and quite time. We parked our car and didn’t even need to use it during our entire stay.

Everything was so special – the “Old Key West ambiance”, the great breakfast and soaking up the charm of Key West. Derek is the perfect host…congenial and good natured. We sure did enjoy our all-too short stay at The Grand Guesthouse (the best of all places in Key West to stay!) Derek has a lot to share with others, and he does a fantastic job. Thanks for making our stay so pleasant. When we visit Key West again The Grand Guesthouse will be the only place we consider staying at. See you again soon!

Luis and Regina

Room Tip: Room number 3 was an advantage because once you returned from exploring Key West, you could walk rig...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Doral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We were welcomed by Derek who gave us all the tips we needed to get around, where to eat, what to visit. We spent 2 nights in Key West, the Grand Guesthouse is located in the Old Town but away from the noisy part of the city. The room was very comfortable and cozy and breakfast was great. Nice and quiet place to stay! Thank you, Derek!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I am very big on Tripadvisor and follow its recommendations as I did here and I am amazed at how different my experience was and is. I booked two nights to be in Key West so that I could meet up with my daughter and her friend who were staying elsewhere. Upon making my reservation I got an immediate email to reply to about my arrival time which I responded to with my time and they said good, see you then. When I showed up then after a 5 hour drive I was told my room was not ready and since it was horribly hot, back in the car I went for a hour. When I got back with my groceries and luggage to check in there were no parking spots out front of the hotel, first come first served! so I had to park a block away in horrible heat and treck my stuff there, not good. My room was a disaster. For what I spent per night I wish had gone elsewhere. Location is not good, a mile walk in August, crazy. No amenitys at the hotel at all, no pool, nothing. The room had dated furniture with indoor outdoor carpeting, peeling paint and the bed was very uncomfortable. There was one AC unit in the bedroom of the two room suite so freezing in the bedroom and hot siting in the other room where my daughter and her friend were for a visit! So we sat and sweat indoors at 180 per night! Honestly, I regret this stay and that takes a lot for me to say. Sorry guys. And one more thing, when you have nothing to offer at your place, trying to then charge for bikes is not cool, you should just let people use them, sad.

Room Tip: dont bother
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
TheGrandGuesthouse, Owner at The Grand Guesthouse, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
We are very sorry that this guest did not have an enjoyable stay with us here at The Grand Guesthouse. We strive to make each and every guest's experience both pleasant, and memorable. While this guest's visit was certainly memorable, I’m both confused and slightly frustrated by how un-pleasant he felt his stay was. Additionally, I find that several of his unkind remarks are both unwarranted and simply not factual.

First, I would like to explain in detail our check-in procedures.

Our check in and check out times are stated clearly on The Grand’s website, on the policy page you must click in agreement to complete an online reservation (as this gentleman did), and in our confirmation letter. Our normal check-in hours are between 3:00pm and 6:00pm (5:00pm on Sundays). We inquire about a guest's arrival time for two very important logistical reasons:

1) If we are notified by a future guest that they will be arriving at a time after our office has closed for the evening, we are then able to make arrangements in advance for a “late check-in.” This is a common procedure with small hotels, and bed and breakfasts, but explaining the procedure ahead of time to guests makes for a simple and problem-free check-in.

2) If a guest informs us that they will be arriving -before- our check-in time of 3:00pm, we will then try our very best to offer them the courtesy of an early check-in, by cleaning and preparing the room ahead of schedule. This guest arrived two hours earlier than normal check in. We try to accommodate each individual guest as best we can, but we do not ever guarantee a room will be ready before 3:00pm. This is why we do not state such a promise anywhere on our website, or in our confirmation letters.

As clearly seen in this situation, when a guest arrives under a false assumption, and consequently has raised-expectations, a disappointing and awkward situation will undoubtedly occur. I strongly believe this was the catalyst for the bitterness felt from the words of this review.

Parking: We have 6 parking spaces directly in front of the guesthouse. This free parking is first-come, first-served, with extra free parking spaces just 3 houses down from us (less than a 1 minute walk). Any visitor to Key West will find that 6 complimentary parking spaces located directly in front of a bed and breakfast is 6 more parking spaces than normal. Parking is extremely difficult in Key West, and almost never free. We are very fortunate to be able to offer complimentary parking to all of our guests. This is one of many great advantages of staying in a quiet residential neighborhood such as ours. Another example, is if all six parking spaces are occupied in front, and guests have multiple pieces of luggage, or possibly groceries, they are encouraged to park right on-street in front of the house, switch their hazard lights on, and unload their vehicle with ease.

Air Conditioning: Our A/C wall units are less than one year old, and work properly, and efficiently. Again, as this guest did not bring any issues of discomfort to our attention, I can only speculate as to the variables that caused his complete discomfort. If the bedroom was as cold as stated, but the living area was warm, it would seem to me that the A/C’s vents had been adjusted to face either at the ceiling, or the floor. We could have easily fixed this problem by readjusting the vents back to their original direction of the living area, followed by switching on the ceiling fan found in the second room. This would have cooled both rooms evenly, making for a relaxing and enjoyable August family visit.

On the subject of August heat, this guest’s numerous complaints about the island’s hot summer days leave me flabbergasted. We would like to take this moment to highly suggest that if a guest has an aversion to warm temperatures, that they should not visit Key West during the hottest month of the year. While our staff here at The Grand creates a warm and welcoming atmosphere, we have yet to gain actual control of the weather.

This guest also makes several references to the price he paid for his 300 sq. ft. Suite. At one point he states that he paid $180 per night, when in fact, he paid $158 per night + 12.5% tax. Our rates are very competitive with other bed and breakfast offerings in Old Town, and this rate is one of the more reasonable rates in town for the level of room and amenities offered.

He also states “a mile walk in August,crazy”. In fact, we are, by actual measure, slightly over ¼ mile from the quiet end of Duval Street, and just over ½ mile to the Hemmingway House, the Southernmost Point, the Butterfly Conservatory and Higg’s Beach. There are at least 10 of the best restaurants in town within a 10 minute walk from our location. The raucous bars closer to the Gulf side of the island and the loud music that goes on until 4 a.m. are located a little over a mile from our location. We are proud to say that most of our guests choose to stay with us because of our location. We are in a nice, quiet, residential neighborhood, where a peaceful night's sleep is more important than an all-night party.

Pool: We have never had a pool, and we have never advertised such. I find it unfair to criticize a lodging for something like this, when a guest knows there isn't one at the time of booking. Had the guest mentioned his desire for a pool however, we would have explained that we have a partnership with a beautiful hotel about a 10 minute walk from us, which offers our guests day passes for use of their heated pool, and surrounding grounds.

Bikes: We are happy to offer our guests bicycle rentals right on property. They are not however, our bicycles. They are owned by a local company, who maintains them weekly, and who charges us accordingly each time a bike is used. Our prices are fair, and comparable to other rental companies on the island. To offer complimentary bicycle rentals would mean raising our prices year round. For those who do not wish to use a bike, and choose to walk, drive, skip, or teleport, this would terribly unfair.

Amenities: We offer many amenities at The Grand, such as property-wide free wireless internet, an expanded continental breakfast, free domestic long distance anywhere in the US or Canada, extensive concierge services, complimentary printing of boarding passes, and many more which can be found listed thoroughly on our website.

In conclusion, I feel saddened that this guest had such an apparently unhappy visit with us. But, I also feel that this gentleman would have had a considerably more positive Key West visit if he had simply communicated his complaints to us at the time. We are many things, unfortunately mind readers is not one of them.
Warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were made very welcome when we stayed here. Despite the name, it is small and very nicely done. The breakfast was wonderful, the service was faultless.
We found the Grand in the Frommers Guide, which we found to be accurate and very helpful

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Bremerton, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Grand Guesthouse is the perfect location in Old Town Key West if you want the option of quiet reprieve from the unbridled celebration known as Duval Street. Yet the alcohol fueled madness is just a few blocks away when you feel the need to mix it up.

Derek, the Grand Guesthouse manager and conceirge-extraordinaire, had great recommendations for dinner to include The Flaming Buoy. He made the reservations for us, recommended a couple of their signature dishes. He was correct on all...Derek is the Man!!

Go to this Hotel if you are looking for:
-Key West history
-Elegance of simplicity
-Quiet rejuvenation
-Comfortable bed
-Relaxation

Do Not go to this Hotel if you are looking for:
-Swim up pool bars...or a pool
-an attached lounge or night club
-a "spring break" singles scene
-Room Service menu
-a place to stay when I'm wanting to go...and there's only one room left!

Thank you Derek and Grand Guesthouse for a wonderful stay!

Rick and Tami
August 9 thru 12, 2012

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My girlfiend and I stayed at The Grand Guesthouse for 6 nights in room 3. It is a very relaxing B&B, well kept, clean and away from the hustle and bustle of Duval Street. However it was possible to walk to the upper end of Duval St in about 10 mins but to return from the lower end (Mallory Square) would take about 30mins. If you like walking, as we do, this was no problem. However, if not, it was possible to rent bicycles from Derek the manager. Derek was full of good advice and willing to help organise activities for us when we asked. The rooms are not huge but easily sufficient and more importantly are cleaned and made up each day.
Breakfast is continental style each morning served outside on a patio in the middle of the building, giving chance to meet some of the other residents. It was basic e.g. bagels, yoghurts, fruit, boiled eggs, cerials etc but sufficient to fuel up for the morning or even most of the day.
There is car parking available which is great as space is at a premium in Key West with parking around the centre difficult.
All in all, we enjoyed ourselves and left happy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

This place is absolutely perfect! Jim at the desk knows everything to do on this island and even has a map to show you how to get there. Service is awesome, the grounds are beautiful! The suites have kitchenettes! And the prices are better than comparable! This place for me was perfect because it wasn't far from Duval Street on a bicycle (they rent them right here at the inn) and you dont get the noise from Duval Street. And the breakfast is great! Thank guys!

• Stayed July 2012

Been to The Grand Guesthouse? Share your experiences!