“Great two bedroom that was close to Duval and perfect for us” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Center Court - Historic Inn and Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Center Court - Historic Inn and Cottages
You added Center Court - Historic Inn and Cottages to your Saves list
1075 Duval Street, Suite C-19, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #75 of 92 Key West B&B and Inns
Davison, MI
“Great two bedroom that was close to Duval and perfect for us”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

We have stayed with Center Court for several years, and again we were not disappointed with our weekend stay at the Poolside Retreat. We went with another couple and the two bedroom bungalow was roomy enough for all of us. We loved having the kitchen so we could make breakfast and have snacks and drinks by the pool. The pool area was nice, and even though it is shared with another rental, we had great neighbors and enjoyed spending time out there. The pool was not heated, so we did not use it, but it was still fun to sit by and stick our toes in. The location was great and the onsite reserved parking is a super plus. If you haven't been to Key West before, be very wary of places where you are responsible for your own parking....it is very hard to find a spot, let alone one near your hotel or rental. The Center Court rental people were very accomodating and worked with us to get a great rate. There is Wi-Fi availabe in the room and we had no problems with connectivity our entire trip. That was a great way to keep in touch with friends and family without having to search to service.

We also enjoyed the small journal in the room. It was great fun to read about who had been there before us, things they had done (in fact there were some great tips for places to go that we wouldn't have seen otherwise!), and it was fun to write our own stories prior to our departure.

Key West has a charm that draws you back. Center Court shares this same charm and we will visit them again soon.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

This was our fourth time at Center Court and once again, it was a stellar experience. We love the location and the concierge service, but especially the roof top hot tub at Buena Vista Cottage. This is our second time at Buena Vista and it did not disappoint. Kudos to Naomi and her staff!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

We planned a last minute getaway to Key West. I didn't spend as much time looking for reviews for somewhere to stay as I would normally do, since this was so last minute. I saw this cute little place, and the price was perfect, so I booked it. I couldn't be happier about our choice. I can only speak for Harrison's Hideaway and probably the other places in that little development, but our experience was wonderful.

The bed was probably one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in while on vacation. I typically don't sleep well in hotels, but I slept wonderfully here. The shower was, as someone else mentioned, small. I had to turn the water off to shave my legs and soap up. You wouldn't like it if you're a very large person or get claustrophobic easily. There is no tub, so not so great if you have small children. If you want to soak in hot water, though, there's a wonderful two person hot tub just outside your front door in the privacy of your own little locked patio (perfect place for storing your bikes). Provided towels for the beach/pool and shower were fluffy and in ample supply.

The pools were also small, and you had to walk a *very* short distance, but I thought they were perfect. I wouldn't really want to be in one of the places right next to the pool, anyway, because I wouldn't feel like I had much privacy. The pool areas, especially the family pool, was very nice. Both pools were partially shaded and very clean.

In general, I felt pretty safe. The only downside to the location is that you have to walk right past an open-air laundry mat if you're coming from Truman/Duval, but I never really saw any unsightly characters except maybe really late at night. You should take precautions at any place late at night, though. Also, it seemed like parking here would probably be a real nightmare, but we didn't have a car, so it was no problem (you do NOT need a car here). Key West Vacation Rentals took care of getting us our bikes for the week, and also made other arrangements for activities so that we wouldn't have to hunt this stuff down. The location is generally very good, unless you want to be right near the harbor area where are the major bars, busy restaurants, etc., are. We didn't, so this location was good. Still close enough to walk to some places, and close enough to easily bike everywhere else.

Housekeeping is very basic here, with replacement of towels, making the bed, and I think one bed change over the course of the week. The place seemed very clean, except for this jute-like rug around the bed, which made my feet quite dirty. I don't think it's necessarily the housekeeping, though, but rather the type of rug that it is. When you're somewhere near the beach, though, your feet are going to always be dirty.

The room was decorated very nicely, had a very powerful a/c (important in KW!), ample kitchen supplies (although we only used the kitchen for opening/pouring beer/wine or fixing a bowl of cereal), and was very quiet, at least when we were there during the off-season. I was a little surprised at the choice of linoleum flooring, since it has a slightly cheap look and doesn't wear well, but it's a small thing and doesn't really affect too much the overall feel of the place, which is largely upscale. I would recommend the next time that flooring needs to be replaced the owner consider tile or hardwood-look laminate. The bathroom has very nice tile work, and the bedding is upscale, so overall, it still feels very nice.

Overall, I loved that we felt like we were staying in a little house, as opposed to staying in a hotel, where you feel like you need to pull out your credit card every time you leave the room and really don't have that much privacy. We still had the wonderful concierge service, which I think is one of the only reasons to stay at a hotel. I would definitely recommend this place and this company to anyone else thinking about vacationing in Key West. I only wish we lived closer, so we could drive and take our dogs with us! This is a very pet-friendly place and city.

Small suggestions I would make to the owners: more places to hang up towels/wet swimsuits and to put a keyless deadbolt, sliding chain, or something similar to what you find in hotels, since the only way to lock your room when you're in it is with the keyed lock, which can still be opened from the outside if someone has a key. We didn't have a "do not disturb" sign, so we felt a little weird, especially if we napped during the middle of the day, etc.

Outside of the "hotel", I would recommend El Siboney for traditional authentic Cuban cuisine, Blue Heaven for a great romantic dinner, and Fort Jefferson and Blue Planet kayaking (at night!) for adventures. We really liked Croissants de France for breakfast, and they are a very short walk from this place. You're also very close to the Ernest Hemingway house, and not too far (biking) from Fort Zachary Taylor, a very pretty little state park beach.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

For the last 3 visits to Key West, my husband and I have stayed at Center Court in the same unit. We have even arranged our time off to coinside with the dates our favorite unit is available. This location is off Truman on Simonton, down the street from a local restaurant "The Grind" that has great food, the scooter rental "Moped Hospital" is around the corner and Duval is a block away. If you are interested in this location, the number is 305-296-9292. Craig, in the leasing office, is always a pleasure and wonderful to work with.

Mr. & Mrs. Brown, Fort Lauderdale, FL

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Hollywood
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

the Sea Breeze unit is located south of Duval across the street from an AA meeting hall which is ok except later after the sun goes down the corner becomes the drug dealing drive up center. the entire section is a undesireable. certainly a little spooky when you're walking home down the block from duval and a little nerve racking when you're going to sleep and knows what's going on outside you're bedroom window. notices in the unit suggest u keep your guard up. wouldn't stay there again. locaton location location

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
keywestlady, Owner at Center Court - Historic Inn and Cottages, responded to this review, August 21, 2010
Here is another review of the exact same location...

We stayed in Bahama Breeze in 2009. What a great rental - a total gem! We thought the photos looked very impressive on the Center Court website but wondered would it look the same when we arrived - boy were we surprized! The bedrooms were larger then they looked in the photos and the cottage was immaculately clean. The beds were so comfortable and the shower was great.

We enjoyed the hot tub each evening and sat on the little porch to the front and ate breakfast every morning and watched the Conch Train pass by. Waving at everyone on the train was a lot of fun! One evening we got some great steak from Faustos and bbq'd on the deck - what a great night!

We rented bikes so we didn't touch the car the whole time we were there except to drive to New Town for some groceries. We had our own private parking spot which was great as parking can be a pain in parts of Old Town. Location wise, Bahama Breeze really suited us - it is at the quieter arty end of Duval. It is right between Hemmingway House and the Southernmost Point.

All in all this was a great rental unit. The company we booked with were friendly and professional. We will be back!!!!
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

My husband and I booked the Harrison's Hideaway located off Center Street. There were a total of four cottages in this section called Abbey Road, obviously named after The Beatles with each cottage named for each of the four musicians. Harrison's Hideaway caught our attention due to the decor, privacy and recent renovations. From the private patio with your own hot tub to the warm decor and comfy pillowtop bed this cottage was a perfect choice! It had a full kitchen with full size appliances and everything you would need from a toaster to a blender for making your own frozen drinks. We were able to cook our own breakfasts as we chose and had lunch most days at the cottage in between enjoying one of their two pools (one for families, one for adults) which are both located right on Center Street within steps from our cottage. There was a grill in the courtyard which a lot of people were putting to use and a high efficiency washer and dryer which was free to use. It was nice to be able to put on a load or two of laundry towards the end of our stay while we laid by the pool to cut down on laundry for when we got back home. We especially liked our private patio and hot tub. This was nice after a long day of riding our bikes around Key West. I also liked that even though they had a bike rack in the common area, we could still pull our bikes into our patio which had a locking door. I felt very safe knowing that a key was needed to gain access to the Abbey Road entry gate to the cottages, our private patio had a lock as well as the entrance into our cottage.

One thing I couldn't believe was how spotless the cottage was! I couldn't find a single hair in the bathroom (a problem we usually find in most hotels) or even dust on the tabletops. The appliances were like brand new and the floors and area rugs were clean as could be. We also received daily housekeeping services which was nice considering it is a rental and you usually have to pay extra in that case. We were provided with clean towels and a nicely made bed each day with sheets changed once during our stay. The hot tub was serviced once during that week and we also had free internet in our room.

The only drawback to this cottage was the size of the bathroom shower. It was EXTREMELY small. I am a small person both in height and weight and I would actually have to turn the water off when washing my hair because there was no other way to get out of the stream of water to avoid the shampoo from being washed out before I scrubbed! This also made leg shaving a challenge. Aside from that, the bathroom did have nice, new travertine decor tile along with a safe for your valuables. Maybe if the shelving area next to the shower wasn't so wide, they could've had more space to fit a wider shower stall.

The location of this cottage to everything is perfect! Because we drove down to the Keys, my husband and I brought our bikes with us. Even though there was street parking only, we had no trouble finding a parking space when we arrived (as other people have mentioned that they did) even though we were just two blocks off Duval Street. The location of the cottage off Duval is right before the busy section where most of the popular bars are so it was still real quiet. Very centrally located. We were able to park our car and we didn't move it even once during our stay. We took our bikes EVERYWHERE! If we did want to take the car there still wouldn't have been a problem because we did notice plenty of vacant parking spots during the day as many people left to go do things.

With such a great experience with this Abbey Road section of cottages from Center Court, I would definitely stay here again and recommend this quaint, quiet place to others planning a trip to the Keys. Clean, close to everything by walking or biking, and comfortable accommodations.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

My cousin, my friend, and I stayed in the Osprey's Nest for 3 nights over the 4th of July holiday weekend and we were all very happy with the room & the amenities that came with it.

I was specifically looking for something that wasn't cookie cutter, wasn't your standard Best Western, wasn't in the middle of the action but wasn't in the far corner of the island either. I was shooting for something that had a place to park, had a kitchenette, and had enough room for 3 gals and all of our stuff. Something that had character was what I was hoping for.

Success! The Osprey's Nest was all that plus lots of other bonus perks we didn't necessarily require... but sure didn't mind! It was basically a nice, clean, well-stocked 1 br apartment that was on the upper floor of a duplex style unit. The kitchen & bathroom were clean & updated; the shower is huge! The large private back deck with a table & chairs PLUS our own (small) jacuzzi was great! The long private balcony out front with table & chairs overlooking the street was a nice place to enjoy breakfast. The (small) soaking pool w/jets that hidden in the back patio area downstairs was super sweet. A couple of the neighbors from the unit next door joined us and made friends as the pool is literally about 10x15' and is pretty... cozy. Again, perfect because that's all we needed. We weren't looking for a crowded pool with chaise lounges and umbrellas. We didn't go to Key West to hang out at the hotel pool.

You can walk to Mallory square and up & down Duvall street from the room, but after a long day of walking you might want to cab it back to the room. The cab fare was $6 from the square to the room. Word to the wise: DO NOT TAKE THE PEDICABS!!!!! The fare was $45. They charge by the minute and they pedal s-l-o-w. $6 for a 5-minute cab ride, or $45 for a 30-minute pedicab. Enough said.

The only piece that didn't work out was when we called the concierge service (they have a concierge service!) to arrange a scooter rental. The scooter rental place didn't call us until an hour & a half later, and by that time we had already decided to rent a bike and be on with our day. Not a huge deal, with everything else that went right it didn't really matter. All other transactions went smoothly from booking the room, to picking up a key after hours (we arrived at 10 pm, but since I called ahead they put the key in a lock box for us), to checking out...no troubles at all.

I would definitely stay here again & recommend this place to others. Don't stay here if you are looking for action outside your door, lots of people coming & going, ice & vending machines, a pool for your kids to play in and meet other kids. If I had pics I would post them, but my friend was the one who shot the place. If I get those photos I will post them.

We went in the off-season so we felt the price was good for what we got. $188/night, or $62/each.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Center Court - Historic Inn and Cottages? Share your experiences!