“Great People” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #155 of 325 Activities in Key West
Type: Sports Camps/ Clinics, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Celebrating our 43rd year of providing memorable dive vacations. We offer daily reef trips to the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary and the wrecks off of Key West including the Vandenberg. Dive Key West, Inc is a full service dive facility. Our divers will also have full guest privileges at Key West Harbour where we keep our boats. You may enjoy the restaurant, bar, gym, sauna, pool and private beach.
Simsbury, Connecticut
“Great People”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I spent four days diving with Dive Key West. I booked over the phone about a week prior to arriving. Bob (the owner) confirmed via email, including a break down of the fees. When I went to the dive shop the day before I started diving, a staff member spent time describing the dives, locations, and procedures. On dive days, the staff took care of getting all your gear to the boat, on and off the boat, and back to the shop. They also did the change-overs between dives.

The reef dives were self directed; they would pair you up with someone since there was no guide. I didn't feel that I needed a guide during reef dives. When diving the Vandenberg wreck, at 90 - 100', there was one guide for up to six divers. My guide was Marlesse, and she was super. She did a very complete dive briefing prior to the dive, and was very attentive during the dive, making sure that everyone had a safe air/nitrox supply throughout the dive.

You could leave all of your gear at the shop overnight (in a secure area) so that you didn't have to drag the wet gear back and forth to your hotel.

The dive boat is docked at a Yacht Club. Anyone who dives with Dive Key West, and their family, can use the club's facilities (pool, showers, restaurant).

In addition to placing the highest priority on dive safety, all of the staff was extremely helpful and user friendly at the shop. When I bought a mask and I found it not to fit right, a staff member spent plenty of time with me to get a good fit, and there was never a question about an exchange. I could go on about the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, but take it from a very satisfied customer, you will not be disappointed. If you're looking for a dive shop on Key West, Dive Key West gets my highest recommendation.

Visited June 2014

Gilbert, Arizona
4 attraction reviews
“Quality operation, no complaints!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I did the two tank outer reef trip, and although viz was mediocre at about 25-30 feet, I liked the boat, the crew, and the dive sites. Walkable from Parrot Key and Ibis Bay area.

Visited May 2014
Sarasota, Florida
5 attraction reviews
“An excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

My husband and I dove with Dive Key West twice this past week. They had been recommended to us by several dive acquaintances, including dive pros we've known for years. We were not disappointed. Everything was smooth and well-organized, Check-in was easy. Setting up gear at the shop and having it transported to the boat (and back to the shop afterward) was efficient and meant no hauling heavy gear for the divers. Dive briefings were very thorough and included helpful tips for dive planning. This was our first time diving in Key West (except for a Vandenberg trip), and we had no trouble navigating each site, on our own, with the instructions given. (Note: There were some people on our trip who had a Dive Master guide in the water with them, so clearly this service is available on request.) The captain and DMs were knowledgeable, professional, and very friendly and helpful. The dive center itself is well stocked and has very knowledgeable and helpful staff. Bob even provided us with a list of recommended local restaurants. We were able to clean and store our gear at the shop for the week we were in Key West - really nice not to have to haul wet dive gear back and forth, and their gear room is more secure than the hotel would have been.
Thanks to Captain Jeremy, Dive Masters Sarah and Ali (sp?), and the rest of the Dive Key West staff, for beautiful and very enjoyable dives!

Visited May 2014
Paris, Kentucky
4 attraction reviews
“First visit to Key West”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I have been diving for 18 years and I have dived almost everywhere in the world.
Dive Key West are a very professionally run operation.

Everything went like clockwork, Alli, Ian our Divemasters and Jeremy the boat Captain were excellent, very helpful with gear, briefings were very informative. i like the fact that each dive was limited to six divers plus our Divemasters.

For me this was VIP treatment. I appreciate that weather was excellent and therefore so was the vis and water temperature 80,

The Vanenberg was an awesome dive and I look forward to diving it again many times, after 10 dives I doubt if you would have seen it all, also the Cayman and that huge Grouper/Jewfish!

Our Reef dives had lots of life, lobster, stingray, groupers, clown fish, huge parrot fish.

I was there 21st April through 28th, next time I plan to stay longer. I appreciate that as the conditions were very good this was on of my best diving experiences and I am certain the professionalism of Dive Key West contributed to that.

Pat Fitzsimons

Visited April 2014
Waterloo, Ontario
7 attraction reviews
“April Dive in Key west”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I have dive with many dive shop and this shop is very commercial. you need to take care of your things, set it up and dive alone. No dive master with you on your dive,

We were hoping to do a wreck and reef dive but there was not flexibility at all. Their schedule was done and not changing. i'm used to have the dive shop flexible and accommodating. Again very commercial. The dives were not good either. Visibility 20 feet and not much to see.

Unfortunately I would not go back there. Dove with Horizon divers in key largo and would go back there before going with Dive key west. My personal experience.

Visited April 2014
Bob H, Owner at Dive Key West, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Some clarification is needed in response to this review. Advance reservation are always suggested, ensuring you get the location you desire. As our afternoon dives serve divers as well as snorkelers, suggesting we change location to a deeper wreck dive certainly does not work. As most of our customers had made advance reservations for a coral reef that is where we went.

In regard to his rental gear , we personally fit, assemble , transport , and place it on the boat. Our divemasters change tanks between dives. So I'm a little unsure of his comment. Most dive operators in the Keys do not provide in water divemasters on shallow reef dives. This customer dove with two of his friends , not alone.
While we wish everyday was picture perfect. Our ship's log indicates 35ft visibility.

While we try to please everyone ,it would not be good business to change the pre- reserved location of all the other customers to be flexible for one.