“Great Dive Shop” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #156 of 326 Activities in Key West
Type: Sports Camps/ Clinics, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Celebrating our 43rd year of providing memorable dive vacations. We offer daily reef trips to the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary and the wrecks off of Key West including the Vandenberg. Dive Key West, Inc is a full service dive facility. Our divers will also have full guest privileges at Key West Harbour where we keep our boats. You may enjoy the restaurant, bar, gym, sauna, pool and private beach.
Stoneham, Massachusetts
“Great Dive Shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have been certified for about three years now and thus is the third dive for me outside of the certifying shop and this shop was great. They offered are resort option that required a morning of class and pool dives, which was different than others in the key and why we went with them although we did not take advantage of it. The day of the dive we showed up and got all rental equipment for two in abut 20 minutes. The equipment was top notch. We were required to hire an instructor as a guide since I had not dove in over a year and she was very knowledgeable and informative. Despite rough sea and getting seasick the site was awesome. Saw some fantastic sea life, coral etc. Highly recommend they are truly professional and friendly.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
9 attraction reviews
“Good location but low inventory on gear”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

If you are in need of purchasing gear in a hurry, they have a very limited inventory on hand and will take 2 weeks for them to get it in. We ended up driving to Marathon to get a BC that fit since no other shops had one in stock on the island and we were on vacation.

Visited August 2012
HOUSTON
11 attraction reviews
“Great Training Course”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I completed my SSI Open water certification at Dive Key West. I completed the online SSI study at home course before doing my pool and open water dives with Dive Key West.

The only problem that I had was that Bob the manger didn't give me an agenda for the three day course, but otherwise I was very pleased with the service I was provided. I worked one on one with Ian Wenham. As an instructor he was very professional and very patient with me. He was also very friendly and really cared about my performance and mastery of various open water skills. He was always encouraging and excellent in explaining what I should expect in each skill or task.

Dive Key West was well run and organized and I felt safe at all times. I have seen some of the reviews that are critical of Bob the owner, but I didn't have any problems with him. I got to talk to him while he drove me to the marina and he seems like a very nice down to earth guy. I liked everyone that works for Dive Key West and they always made me feel welcomed.

I plan to continue my training and adding to my experience in diving and I plan to visit Dive Key West again.

Falls Church, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Diving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Eric and the bald headed guy are the best. They seem to take great care with safety. Some of the. Guys are a bit to casual and take short cuts (do as I say not as I do).

Norfolk, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Boat Captain & Dive Master Great -- Dive Shop Not So Much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Like another diver who has written a review, I was in Key West the week of Hurricane Sandy. I did the Vandenberg on two dives in the morning in low vis and strong current. In the afternoon, we had a shallow coral dive and haystacks and I brought three snorklers on the combined afternoon trip. The conditions were choppy, low vis, and strong currents ... the snorklers could not snorkel. The divers got into trouble on the second dive as the current increased and the visibility decreased to 5 feet. All dive teams struggled to return to the boat, and I assisted my dive buddy. The dives were not lead by a dive master. Based on the conditions, I opted not to dive the next day since the weather forecast was the same. I requested a refund for the 2 dives for the following day; I did not request a refund for the snorklers who were unable to snorkel. The dive shop owner initially refused to give me a refund and then agreed using the words "just to get you to go away". I had prepaid for 6 dives and three snorklers ... $485.90. To date, no refund has appeared on my credit card, so so far it has been just lip service. While it was refreshing to read in another review that the dive shop cancelled a dive the same-day for weather conditions, it is alarming that they didn't consider the needs of the snorklers on the snorkel/dive trip and that they don't value an experienced diver's concern for the conditions...especially after needing to use my PADI Rescue Diver skills on the 2nd dive to assist my buddy. I suppose after a week of not diving because of Hurricane Sandy, they were really anxious for the income, but that is no excuse. And my lesson learned -- don't prepay for dives ... it only benefits the dive shop.

Visited October 2012