“Great Training Course” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 82 Attractions in Key West
Type: Sports Camps/ Clinics
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Celebrating our 43rd year of providing memorable dive vacations. We offer daily reef trips to the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary and the wrecks off of Key West including the Vandenberg. Dive Key West, Inc is a full service dive facility. Our divers will also have full guest privileges at Key West Harbour where we keep our boats. You may enjoy the restaurant, bar, gym, sauna, pool and private beach.
HOUSTON
9 attraction reviews
“Great Training Course”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I completed my SSI Open water certification at Dive Key West. I completed the online SSI study at home course before doing my pool and open water dives with Dive Key West.

The only problem that I had was that Bob the manger didn't give me an agenda for the three day course, but otherwise I was very pleased with the service I was provided. I worked one on one with Ian Wenham. As an instructor he was very professional and very patient with me. He was also very friendly and really cared about my performance and mastery of various open water skills. He was always encouraging and excellent in explaining what I should expect in each skill or task.

Dive Key West was well run and organized and I felt safe at all times. I have seen some of the reviews that are critical of Bob the owner, but I didn't have any problems with him. I got to talk to him while he drove me to the marina and he seems like a very nice down to earth guy. I liked everyone that works for Dive Key West and they always made me feel welcomed.

I plan to continue my training and adding to my experience in diving and I plan to visit Dive Key West again.

Visited December 2012

Falls Church, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Diving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Eric and the bald headed guy are the best. They seem to take great care with safety. Some of the. Guys are a bit to casual and take short cuts (do as I say not as I do).

Visited December 2012
Norfolk, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Boat Captain & Dive Master Great -- Dive Shop Not So Much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Like another diver who has written a review, I was in Key West the week of Hurricane Sandy. I did the Vandenberg on two dives in the morning in low vis and strong current. In the afternoon, we had a shallow coral dive and haystacks and I brought three snorklers on the combined afternoon trip. The conditions were choppy, low vis, and strong currents ... the snorklers could not snorkel. The divers got into trouble on the second dive as the current increased and the visibility decreased to 5 feet. All dive teams struggled to return to the boat, and I assisted my dive buddy. The dives were not lead by a dive master. Based on the conditions, I opted not to dive the next day since the weather forecast was the same. I requested a refund for the 2 dives for the following day; I did not request a refund for the snorklers who were unable to snorkel. The dive shop owner initially refused to give me a refund and then agreed using the words "just to get you to go away". I had prepaid for 6 dives and three snorklers ... $485.90. To date, no refund has appeared on my credit card, so so far it has been just lip service. While it was refreshing to read in another review that the dive shop cancelled a dive the same-day for weather conditions, it is alarming that they didn't consider the needs of the snorklers on the snorkel/dive trip and that they don't value an experienced diver's concern for the conditions...especially after needing to use my PADI Rescue Diver skills on the 2nd dive to assist my buddy. I suppose after a week of not diving because of Hurricane Sandy, they were really anxious for the income, but that is no excuse. And my lesson learned -- don't prepay for dives ... it only benefits the dive shop.

Key West, Florida
“Professional and efficient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I were in town the week Hurricaine Sandy was leaving the Keys. We scheduled a 'maybe' Vandenburg dive due to the high winds and dive conditions. We were asked our certification status, last dive, and dive depth. We showed our PADI cards. We showed up Monday morning with a very strong wind blowing and were offered a reschedule dive or a refund. As we were leaving Key West the next day, we were given a quick refund. From our limited contact of the staff, they were efficient, professional, and quite amusing. Their shop looked well equipped. We look to dive with them when we return on our next visit.

Providenciales
15 attraction reviews
“Great outfit, very professional & safety conscious.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I found these guys through one of their instructors, who was working in one of the dive retail shops, I only wanted to dive the Vandenberg as wreck diving is a passion and we have some history with this wreck. I found the shop staff really helpful, booking in was easy and they gave me my boarding pass right there and then. I was travelling light so had to rent gear, this was all new and good quality and appeared to be well maintained, the Captain had me kitted out and signed introduced me to the rest of the crew and divers and off we went after a comprehensive boat brief.
I was diving with a buddy so we asked lots of questions, the dive master was very helpful as was the instructor and they also gave a very thorough dive briefing, all the dive times and what if's were covered, and good suggestions of routes etc once on the wreck.
I had 2 great dives, the crew were great fun to be around on the surface interval and on the way back in. All in all a great dive outfit from my experience, and I would certainly recommend them and use them again in the future.