“Boat Captain & Dive Master Great -- Dive Shop Not So Much” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #156 of 326 Activities in Key West
Type: Sports Camps/ Clinics, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Celebrating our 43rd year of providing memorable dive vacations. We offer daily reef trips to the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary and the wrecks off of Key West including the Vandenberg. Dive Key West, Inc is a full service dive facility. Our divers will also have full guest privileges at Key West Harbour where we keep our boats. You may enjoy the restaurant, bar, gym, sauna, pool and private beach.
Norfolk, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Boat Captain & Dive Master Great -- Dive Shop Not So Much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Like another diver who has written a review, I was in Key West the week of Hurricane Sandy. I did the Vandenberg on two dives in the morning in low vis and strong current. In the afternoon, we had a shallow coral dive and haystacks and I brought three snorklers on the combined afternoon trip. The conditions were choppy, low vis, and strong currents ... the snorklers could not snorkel. The divers got into trouble on the second dive as the current increased and the visibility decreased to 5 feet. All dive teams struggled to return to the boat, and I assisted my dive buddy. The dives were not lead by a dive master. Based on the conditions, I opted not to dive the next day since the weather forecast was the same. I requested a refund for the 2 dives for the following day; I did not request a refund for the snorklers who were unable to snorkel. The dive shop owner initially refused to give me a refund and then agreed using the words "just to get you to go away". I had prepaid for 6 dives and three snorklers ... $485.90. To date, no refund has appeared on my credit card, so so far it has been just lip service. While it was refreshing to read in another review that the dive shop cancelled a dive the same-day for weather conditions, it is alarming that they didn't consider the needs of the snorklers on the snorkel/dive trip and that they don't value an experienced diver's concern for the conditions...especially after needing to use my PADI Rescue Diver skills on the 2nd dive to assist my buddy. I suppose after a week of not diving because of Hurricane Sandy, they were really anxious for the income, but that is no excuse. And my lesson learned -- don't prepay for dives ... it only benefits the dive shop.

Key West, Florida
“Professional and efficient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I were in town the week Hurricaine Sandy was leaving the Keys. We scheduled a 'maybe' Vandenburg dive due to the high winds and dive conditions. We were asked our certification status, last dive, and dive depth. We showed our PADI cards. We showed up Monday morning with a very strong wind blowing and were offered a reschedule dive or a refund. As we were leaving Key West the next day, we were given a quick refund. From our limited contact of the staff, they were efficient, professional, and quite amusing. Their shop looked well equipped. We look to dive with them when we return on our next visit.

Providenciales
15 attraction reviews
“Great outfit, very professional & safety conscious.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I found these guys through one of their instructors, who was working in one of the dive retail shops, I only wanted to dive the Vandenberg as wreck diving is a passion and we have some history with this wreck. I found the shop staff really helpful, booking in was easy and they gave me my boarding pass right there and then. I was travelling light so had to rent gear, this was all new and good quality and appeared to be well maintained, the Captain had me kitted out and signed introduced me to the rest of the crew and divers and off we went after a comprehensive boat brief.
I was diving with a buddy so we asked lots of questions, the dive master was very helpful as was the instructor and they also gave a very thorough dive briefing, all the dive times and what if's were covered, and good suggestions of routes etc once on the wreck.
I had 2 great dives, the crew were great fun to be around on the surface interval and on the way back in. All in all a great dive outfit from my experience, and I would certainly recommend them and use them again in the future.

Carol Stream, Illinois, United States
6 attraction reviews
“AWESOME!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I selected DKW just from a search on Google for my recent trip to Key West. The entire shop from Bob, Kel, Allie, Brad, Ian, Jeremy were all great!

Not sure about these neg reviews but that was not my experience at all. From taking care of my hotel through them to chatting with me about the dives, Key West and just about anything else, very hospitable and friendly.

They do want to make sure that you have the requisite experience to dive especially the deeper dives on Joes Tug and Vandenberg. They actually look at your logs which, aside from their liability concerns, is actually a great step to make sure that when you are 100' down you have the requisite experience and is for your safety and your buddies.

I went in September which translates into a bit of hit and miss with the # of ppl signing up for dives and had once cancelled but they worked really hard on getting me onto other dives.

Would definitely go back!

Visited September 2012
Sanford, Florida
6 attraction reviews
“Dive Dive Dive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The shop always does an excellent job with a well-stocked inventory, great boat, awesome crew like Jeremy! We hit some great spots where we were able to see eels and of course grab some bugs!

Visited September 2012