Like another diver who has written a review, I was in Key West the week of Hurricane Sandy. I did the Vandenberg on two dives in the morning in low vis and strong current. In the afternoon, we had a shallow coral dive and haystacks and I brought three snorklers on the combined afternoon trip. The conditions were choppy, low vis, and strong currents ... the snorklers could not snorkel. The divers got into trouble on the second dive as the current increased and the visibility decreased to 5 feet. All dive teams struggled to return to the boat, and I assisted my dive buddy. The dives were not lead by a dive master. Based on the conditions, I opted not to dive the next day since the weather forecast was the same. I requested a refund for the 2 dives for the following day; I did not request a refund for the snorklers who were unable to snorkel. The dive shop owner initially refused to give me a refund and then agreed using the words "just to get you to go away". I had prepaid for 6 dives and three snorklers ... $485.90. To date, no refund has appeared on my credit card, so so far it has been just lip service. While it was refreshing to read in another review that the dive shop cancelled a dive the same-day for weather conditions, it is alarming that they didn't consider the needs of the snorklers on the snorkel/dive trip and that they don't value an experienced diver's concern for the conditions...especially after needing to use my PADI Rescue Diver skills on the 2nd dive to assist my buddy. I suppose after a week of not diving because of Hurricane Sandy, they were really anxious for the income, but that is no excuse. And my lesson learned -- don't prepay for dives ... it only benefits the dive shop.
If you own or manage Dive Key West, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.