“Key West Camping at its Best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Boyd's Key West Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Boyd's Key West Campground
6401 Maloney Ave, Key West, FL   |
Fairway, Kansas
“Key West Camping at its Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed one night at Boyd's for Memorial Day weekend. I am not an avid camper, but was impressed with the site and service at Boyd's.

We had an excellent view and the pool was a nice amentity on-site.

One fun element was renting scooters. We rented from JG Scooters and they dropped off right at our camp site and when done, we just returned the scooters to the main office area. It could not have been easier!

Overall, I would definitely recommend Boyd's.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

We stayed at Boyd's and loved it! The staff was very nice and helpful. We went in April and the campsite's were about 50% or more empty...I think that made all the difference. i don't think we'd book if they were almost full; as others have noted, the sites are pretty close together. Showers, pool, laundry, sinks...all the amenities were fantastic. Super pet-friendly! They don't have a map of their sites on the website, so I took one and posted it here. One other note: The campground IS NOT on Key West. It's on Stock Island and that means a significant bike ride, especially if you are bringing beach stuff or pets. I would not want to bike that far back after enjoying the bars.

Room Tip: for private, big tent site, try 2 get site 154
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a week at Boyds Campground in Key West Florida. The facility is first class. We tent camped on the point and watched the sunrise every morning. You are fairly close to your neighbour but I find that the price of the sights keep the trouble makers out of the campground. The security is excellent. The security were making rounds every half hour to check on the sites. We rented two bikes from Re Cycle bike rentals on Stock Island and never used the car for the entire week. Key West is bike friendly and after a day of cycling and being in Key West we would return and lounge in the pool at Boyds. We considered this to be one of the best vacations that we have ever taken and we will return next April.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

I'd like to start out by saying that I cannot understand all the horrible reviews. After spending 4 nights there, we were satisfied with the stay. We had waterfront tent site 23T.

Staff: They were kind and extremely helpful. When we had questions, they had answers. The workers/grounds people were nice as well. When I was walking around, they always said hi.

Tent Site: Features a fence on both sides, a grill and a picnic bench. No electric, which most people would expect anyway. The ground is like compressed sand. When setting up the tent, it was difficult to hammer 2 of our stakes due to rocks and clay, but we managed. Being waterfront, the wind was a factor at times. Our tent kept "folding in" a bit so we had to use rope to pull the side facing the water. Fortunately, the grills on the sites can be turned on their pedestals in any direction to block some of the wind.

Amenities: The grounds are well kept but the bathrooms could use a bit of work. There were gnats, fly's and ants always crawling around and the sinks weren't fully clean (could be the guests being sloppy). The showers are OK. I would recommend water shoes or flip-flops when showering. I usually enjoy a cold shower after a hot day but the water isn't really cold. Starts with luke-warm and goes to hot. Even though we never experienced it, the pool and tiki hut looked nice. Gift shop in the office was great too. No more movie nights on Tuesday's either.

Other thoughts: If I really had to complain about anything, it's being woken up at 7am every morning to military jets flying overhead. Not the campgrounds fault, but they were so loud, I though they were literally right above us. They fly by every 15-20 minutes throughout the mornings. Also, it does get hot inside the tents at night, so I would recommend a small fan to make it more comfortable. Also, there are buses that run by the campground that go into Key West ($2 each way). They have a real-time bus monitor displayed in the office so you know when the next bus is coming. That was a big help for us.

In the end, keeping in mind my recommendations above, I would definitely stay here again.

Jacksonville Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

My expectations were pretty low due to previous reviews. I got what I expected. The camp site was incredibly small. I have an average size tent and it took the entire site. The ground is all limerock and impossible to drive plastic stakes into. Bring metal stakes if you stay here. The other campers were a collection of bikers and rednecks to million dollar travel rigs. Quiet time is supposed to be 11. I guess that is reasonable for some people but the rednecks and bikers have no courtesy for everyday travelers that are ready to crash out at 10.
The closest showers and bathrooms to our site were always dirty even though I did see someone cleaning them one day. Ants in bathrooms. Ants and flies in the showers. I have camped all my life and to me it was typical campground facilities. But my wife hated it.
The pool and area around the pool seemed nice and clean but we never spent much time around it.
I got no wifi in our site. So to get online I went up to the office. There is a covered game area next to the office with power plugs to plug the laptop into. My wife played video games while I wrote my travel blog. The wifi worked great there, and I saw several other people on laptops around the pool which is just behind the office and game area.
Other than the bathrooms and just around the dumpsters, the campground was very clean.
The staff do move at their own pace. This may be a typical island pace. But none the less they should atleast learn to acknowledge other customers waiting. My wife and I walked out one day while waiting to buy some stuff out of their gift shop. We waited so long that we decided we didnt need it that bad. Other than being turtles, the staff are fine. I had no bad experiences dealing with any of the front desk clerks or security people. I found them all to be extremely friendly and helpful once they got around to talking to me.
Our site was out on the water and I thought it would be a great spot. But there are no swimming signs everywhere, so I couldnt go swimming, and bay off the campground is filled with what appear to be abandoned boats. I really mean filled. Thats what our view was. A boat junkyard.
A wind storm blew in on our last night and tossed smaller tents around. There was no protection from the elements other than our tent which was being beat to death by 20 knot winds or retreating to our car. We left in the middle of the night for a dumpy hotel that seemed like a 5 star resort after sleeping on an air mattress in a tent for 3 nights.
I dont know anything else about any other campgrounds in the area so before I would recommend this place, I would tell people to do their own homework if they want to camp near Key West.

Bozman, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

I was hesitant to stay at Boyd's based on past reviews by others who said there were loud hillbilly parties, noisy bikers, and homeless people hanging around the park. WHAT park were those people staying at? Boyd's campground was very clean and well monitored by staff (not too much...just enough) . We were there at the beginning of off-season so it was not crowded, but the sites are very close together so I could imagine it would be tight during peak season. There were only 2 things that annoyed me during my stay and neither was with the campground itself ... There were heavy cigarette smokers staying too close to us and they smoked ALL the time (even at 5 in the morning!) , filling our camper with smoke. And the fighter jet training at the Navy base across the inlet begins at 8AM exactly....and it is LOUD.... and the jets take off and land all day long during the week. Some windy days the smell of jet fuel would waft across and stink up the camper. We got used to the noise after 3 weeks though. If you are sensitive to noise then this may be bothersome.
The pool is awesome and the bath houses, while very basic are clean. We had our 2 big dogs with us and it was nice that Boyd's allows them. So many parks only allow little dogs.
The first week we had a waterfront site which was so windy that we could not even sit outside without getting sandblasted. When we moved to an inland site we were much happier and could actually put out the awning and hang outside. As soon as we moved the wind died and never returned :) IMHO, the waterfront sites are not worth the extra money. The waterfront sites have no grass at all, only a coral sand base. The inland sites have some grass over the hard coral sand. We preferred the grassy area for the dogs to lie on. Each site has a concrete pad, picnic table, and usually a palm tree or bush.
Stock Island is the ideal place to camp because you can relax without all the craziness of downtown KW. It's a short 5 minute drive into KW and near to grocery stores and Kmart.
I just made reservations for another stay this spring. I'd like to bring my jet-skis along with the trailer. Boyd's has a nice boat ramp and it would be a blast to jet ski around the area.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

When we 1st arrived we went in the office which was very crowed. And right their in front of everyone there was a tall slender gray haired man called the manager. He was giving a young couple the dickens so say it nicely. Not very professional to do that in front of other guest. and actually very rude.
We made friends with some people who were camping next to us who have 2 little dogs. Another neighbor next to the people we became friends with and kitty corner to us ( they pack you in like sardines) was a very unfriendly grumpy old man. Complained about the neighbors dogs. These people were very responsible pet owners. The dogs never bothered us at all. The manager came flying down in his golf cart he started right in accusing the people about the complaints. He was not diplomatic at all. He told the woman he did not even want to hear what she had to say. He also told her that he had already spoken to her once while she was walking her dog. Which he had not ever spoken to her before. He was confused. He never gave her a chance he simply believed what the grumpy man had to say. That is not right! He told her one more and they were kicked out of the park. I stood there while this was going on I could not believe my ears and eyes. Needless to say this ruined everyones vacation. This manager should not be allowed to treat guest like he has. I think they call it Hitler power?
There is no swimming beach the showers and rest rooms are very dirty. And you are packed in so tightly.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Boyd's Key West Campground? Share your experiences!