“Hemingway Fan” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 144 things to do in Key West
Activities: Group tours/day tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Ernest Hemingway lived and wrote in this for ten years. During that time he wrote seventy percent of his life-time works. Today we operate as a museum providing guided tours every fifteen minutes from nine to five. The Museum is available for weddings and corporate events. Visit this National Historic Landmark, Literary Landmark and recognized by the Library of Congress for it's importance in U.S. History. Grand Architecture, Lush Gardens, Educational Tours, Book Store/Gift Shop and the world famous Poly dactyl (six-toed cats).
Nashport, Ohio
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Hemingway Fan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed touring the Hemingway house. The house and gardens are beautiful. Hemingway wrote one of my favorite books, "For Whom the Bell Tolls" at this house so it was extraordinary for me. You don't need to be a fan though to enjoy his house, garden, and cats. I loved photographing the 6 toed cats that wander around the grounds. Fans should stop by the gift shop to pick up a souvenir to take home.

Visited July 2011

Grand Junction, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Interesting Man”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I learned a lot about Ernest Hemingway that I didn't know before. His home in Key West was delightful. It has been maintained well and it well worth the admission price. I loved all the cats with 9 toes!

Visited May 2011
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A very nice surprise and very informative!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

I pretty much walked all over from where I stayed at the Key Lime Inn.
The entrance is a very modest fee for what you see, historically this house has it all.
A trust volunteer gent show a group of us around the home, I love the quirky and historical stories he had to tell too, eg: one wife was an editor of Vogue Paris and took all the ceiling fans out to put chandeliers in all the rooms, very tres chic, lol, and love the 6 toed cats, they are very friendly and docile.
The souvenir shop is a well stocked, I bought up big on quality items for family.
In all, a great experience, staff were friendly and this house is well managed and maintained.
Take my word for it and GO! :)

Visited July 2011
Bostonian turned Floridian
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Must see in Key West”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I went here with my boyfriend. We walked to Heminway's home from our bed and breakfast at the other end of Duval Street (Curry Mansion, see my review of that too) to here. It was a nice walk and there were some sites to see along the way, such as mile marker 0 for Federal Highway and a Pirate's well. We were told that the house is not air conditioned and it is not. Lots of fans set up. It was bearable. The tour we had was great. Wish I could remember the woman's name who guided us. The tour is free with admission. Very interesting stories and things to see in Hemingway's home. The six toed cats are all around. There's some gardens and even a small pet cemetery with all the fantastic names given the cats over the yeas. I am glad I finally got to see this historic site. From here, you can eat at the cafe next door. My boyfriend had their key lime pie and said it was very good.

Visited August 2011
Connecticut
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Interesting place and history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

The tour of the Hemingway home was very interesting. I had never learned so much about this famous American author as through our visit to one of his former homes. Our guide, who was dressed like "the old man and the sea" himself, was knowledgeable, and gave a nice overview of the meaningful parts of Hemingway's life, both humorous and tragic. The house itself was worth seeing, as it's in a lovely tropical setting and yes, there are lots of kitties laying around, some with various numbers of extra digits. The drive through the Keys to this Key West location was also simply beautiful.

Visited January 2011