“overpriced, overrated, noisy 2star” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Key West
Albuquerque
“overpriced, overrated, noisy 2star”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

In summary, this is a clean, noisy, run down motel pretending to be higher scale than it is and charging twice what you'd expect to pay anywhere else but the Keys.
We recently stayed on a last minute trip- both of use seasoned travelers, and agreed this place was a mistake. I've previously been pleased with TripAdvisor reviews before, I am not sure why this place is so overly rated and owner about review falsification, or perhaps really low expectations:
The motel is very near the airport, and 10 minutes driving from the main part of town.
It is also on the busy road which circles this part of the key, so car and scooter noise is present. The ocean is on the other side of the road, so the view/noise evaluation is a problem.
The room (2 queen beds) was large, cleanish, but worn and run down(paint fading, carpet worn, shower tiles cracked and poorly sealed, fixtures rusting. The under-sized AC struggled to keep the room under 75F despite running at full power, and sound, all day. The room contained a microwave and little refrigerator, so perhaps this place is meant for prolonged family stays. Again, this place doesnt really seem to fit any niche.
The cab ride to the town is ~$15, or $5 per person, which ever is MORE.
The complimentary breakfast seemed worse than the usual BW fare, possibly because the toaster was broken and coffee was weak.

Room Tip: The rooms with oceanview are on the busy road, so perhaps non-view rooms make more sense
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Joseph H, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Key Ambassador Resort Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I apologize we did not exceed your expectations. You are correct that we are across the street from the ocean, but we do offer one of the least obstructed views of the Atlantic on the island. We appreciate your feedback and I hope you will allow us the opportunity to improve upon your experience in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Polish first
St. Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Not an ideal location to visit the main areas of Key West. Even though we had a car we left it parked at the hotel (free parking!) and we rode the bus in to town and back at a minimal cost and it only took about 15 minutes each way. This will be cheaper and less of a hassle than trying to park. The pool area is beautiful, however, during the day it is NOISY with jets taking off at the airport next door. I liked having a screened in balcony to sit on at night. Our room was dated and dreary. The carpet in the room was bunching up and could be a tripping hazard, it needed to be replaced or restretched, and felt grubby. There was a gap under the door that I put a towel over to try to avoid any bugs or lizards coming in. The breakfast was lousy compared to other places that have inclusive breakfasts. I got sick (stomach) within a few minutes of eating some of the yogurt our last day. I would not stay here again if I visited Key West. I would pay more and stay somewhere nicer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
keyambassador01, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Key Ambassador Resort Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
It is disappointing that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel as much as we would have liked. Unfortunately, you did not bring it to our attention during your stay. We are unaware of any room with carpeting as you mention, but could have tried to better your experience with a complimentary upgrade from the room type you reserved.

We are in the final stages of our latest remodel project which includes new carpeting. I hope you decide to give our hotel a second chance to meet your expectations. If not, we do appreciate your thoughts and for helping to make us better for our future guests.
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

This was my first visit to Key West and I picked this hotel based on some reviews and mostly lack of time. We booked this hotel with non-refundable rates, so my decision was pretty much final. We got lucky that I picked the Ocean view room: it was huge, clean and yes, facing the Ocean. The view was absolutely great.

In my opinion, if you choose this hotel, the Ocean view rooms are your only options because you cannot hear the planes at the adjacent airport (shockingly close), and the view. Keep in mind that there is a busy road between you and the ocean, so there is a lot of traffic noise to consider.

I think the worst parts are prices (very overpriced) and location. It is probably the longest distance from Duval and all the attractions. I would recommend getting something closer to the Old Town. I was personally satisfied with my stay (besides ridiculous rates) since we spend a lot of time on the balcony looking at the Ocean.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Shelton, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My 21 yr old daughter and I spent 4 nights at this hotel in March 2012. We stayed in a pool view room on the 2nd level which also gave us a nice sideways view of the ocean.
We found the room to be spacious and very clean. The beds were very comfortable. It was so nice and quiet at night even with a group of college breakers nearby( they went into downtown to party I assume-but they were quiet coming back). Most of the spring breakers were NOT at this hotel (probably too expensive).
The complimentary breakfast was a plus and all you need to get going in the morning: good strong hot coffee, cereal or breads and fresh fruits. As many others have written, the pool area is very nice. The pool itself was very clean and heated. There are plenty of lounge chairs and pool towels. The tiki bar is also very nice and serve a nice lunch and the drinks are really great. (the rum punch was especially good). A main road runs between the hotel and the ocean (no beach) but is not an issue to cross at all. The ocean side has a nice big sidewalk which many people use to run and walk. You can walk in either direction for a mile or 2. I was aware of all the planes overhead but they were of little concern and did not bother me at all.
As others before me have noted. it is a short drive into the main downtown area although I was concerned about parking down there so we took the bus that stops at the hotel for $2 and drops you off right in town near Duval Street. We took a cab back to hotel later and was only about $15 with tip.

Room Tip: pool view room 2nd level
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Central Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

In October of 2005 Hurricane Wilma flooded a good part of Key West, including the area where the hotel property lies. I was quite surprised to see that although the location of my standard room is probably 8 feet above ground, and likely didn't flood, the room has been completely renovated.
The breakfast is about the same with cold cereal, waffles, toast, fruits, drinks, and pastries. Tiki bar is open next to the pool, but I didn't utilize that. Front desk staff was responsive.
The property sits adjacent to Key West International Airport, so there's plenty of aircraft going over, in addition to military traffic over the ocean on their way into Key West Naval Air Station. However, I don't think there are operations between 10pm and 6am. At least I haven't heard any noise then.
The standard rooms are in 2 buildings separated from the pool area, but it's a 2 minute walk, so no big deal. Plenty of parking. No safety concerns.
One thing to be aware of: Maid service normally comes to an end around 2pm. So if you're a late sleeper, then hit the pool with "do not disturb" out, it's likely you'll get skipped that day for fresh towels and bedding. Front desk staff did tell me that after 2pm, maid service can be had by special request.
After a few trips pre-Wilma, this property is back on my + list.

Room Tip: The name says "resort" but unless you think of a pool as resort...it's not. Some rooms...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Best Western, and were surprised to have a view of the sunrise from in front of our room, actually in front of the hotel. Breakfast included more than we expected with waffles and boiled eggs. Lunch was available in the pool area, although we were off sightseeing, and did not go to the pool area. Flowers were planted everywhere outside, and our room was clean. Our room included a convertible couch.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in late March. The hotel was a short drive from the Duval street hustle and bustle. We stayed in an Ocean View room that indeed had a beautiful view of the ocean and the seawall across the street. No beach but still a great view with a nice balcony. Continential breakfast was included and really good! Room itself had plush beds, huge flat screen tv and furnishing and such was new and tasteful. Pool area with bar looked nice too. Note- hotel is beside the airport but this didnt bother us at all. Couldnt hear it inside and even sipping beers in the balcony it was no bother. Great stay at a nice hotel.

• Stayed March 2012

Been to BEST WESTERN Key Ambassador Resort Inn? Share your experiences!