“Loved it, especially the pool” 5 of 5 stars

Merlin Guesthouse
811 Simonton Street, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #47 of 94 Key West B&B and Inns
Durham, NC
“Loved it, especially the pool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2006

I stayed only 1 night, but it was enough to convince me to stay there again in the future. It's only 2 blocks north of Duval and centrally located to everything. The pool/garden area is quite nice with a great water feature and lots of plants and places to sit around the pool. The pool is small but well appointed with a small jacuzzi area with good strong jets. They let me check-in early which is rare in key west. My room was facing the street, which other reviews said can be quiet loud, but I didn't notice. If you do Key West properly you're tired enough at the end of the night to sleep through anything ha ha! The room was HUGE with elevated ceilings and the bathroom was large and spotless, with high quality complimentary toiletries I was happy to take with me. The queen bed was quite comfy but the room could use a couple more lights as it seemed a bit dim at night. The walls are a bit thin so I coould hear the tv in the neighbors room, which could be a problem if the neighbors got noisy doing other things...but fortunately I didn't have to hear that. The pool was a wonderful and relaxing environment in which to relax after iId been jet-skiing all morning, so much so i didn't want to leave for my snorkel trip! The breakfast wasn't what I think of when I think of a B&B. To me a B&B should have a real, hot, cooked breakfast and this was a cont. breakfast like what you get at the Holiday Inn with cold cereal, bagels, muffins, juice, etc. But the environment was inviting enough that I could overlook it easily b/c the grounds are so nice and they had cheese danishes, so I can forgive anything for a cheese danish ha ha! I could not locate an individual AC control unit in the room and it appeared to be central air, which could be a problem if you like your room cooler than they keep it, but the ceiling fan worked well for me.

Best part was they provided me with free parking on Petronia St. bordering the property, which is very rare in Key West, where you usually have to park in a pay lot and lug your things back and forth from the car to the B&B and back. The free street parking was a BIG plus for me as I had a lot of diving gear I couldn't leave in the car and didn't relish toting 8 blocks from the public parking garage. I would definitely stay at the Merlin again, no question. For $130 a night it was an excellent deal for Key West for the nice environment provided.

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2006

I have stayed at the Merlin twice, and had a wonderful experience both times.

We were fortunate to have rooms in the back for both visits, so did not have the street noise issue (but the walls are thin and we did get quite an earful from the people next door).

The first time we visited we tayed in a king room, which was very spacious and had a mini-fridge. For our second visit we stayed in a queen room, which was much smaller, but who goes away on vacation to spend the entire time in the hotel? We were hardly ever in the room, so it was worth it to save a few bucks and downsize.

Rooms in the back are really nice because there is a private porch area and a hammock.

Breakfast is ok, but what do people expect from a free continental breakfast? When in Key West, you should be eating breakfast at Blue Heaven or Pepe's anyway!

We plan on returning to Key West in the future, and the Merlin will always be our first choice!

• Stayed January 2005
Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

THe location of this inn was the highpoint. About a 2 minute walk to Duval St. We ended up with a room on the front - at first that seemed like a good thing but we later found it was not! It was very loud in the front and that included traffic noise. THe walls in this inn are paper thin - at one point I really thought the person next door was actually in our room. Put it this way - we heard things we probably should not have!! The bathroom could have used some updating...it was dated. Our room only had a shower stall and the drain was odd - looked grimy. The pool area was a nice place to sit and relax. The breakfast was fine, juice, coffee, danish, english muffins, muffins etc. OVerall this seemed a bit over priced for the rooms but the location was excellant.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to Merlin Guesthouse? Share your experiences!