“Tranquil and Lovely” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 41 hotels in Key West
CT
“Tranquil and Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our family stayed at the Marquesa Hotel July 2013 for 3 wonderful nights. We had a lovely room painted in soothing colors with a spacious bathroom. Since we were a family of 4, two of us had to sleep on the pull out sofa. Unfortunately, this was incredibly uncomfortable. The bed however, was quite comfortable. Many units have little outdoor seating areas which REALLY add to the experience. I wish ours had a covering, as many do, since there were quite a few downpours during out stay. There are two inviting pools and it is truly a delight to sit out by the pool on hot steamy days. One BIG TURNOFF --- people are allowed to smoke cigars on the property. The stench of cigar smoke amidst the lovely foliage is a real drag. People sat on their decks and puffed away........not nice for the remaining guests. I am really shocked this quality place allows smoking..... The establishment puts ice tea poolside for refreshment, which is a really nice touch. It would be a nice addition to serve some baked treats with it for an afternoon refreshment. The hotel offers a room service breakfast which is a great treat. Everything served impeccably with delicious homemade banana bread, This can be served poolside as well----very nice. The biggest factor in how nice it is ---it is FAIRLY priced. This really makes it great. Thank you Marquesa for that ! This is a fine, well run establishment that continues to maintain the property and attend to its' guests. The next visit to Key West---Only if the Marquesa had availability. A GREAT FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: They are shown on line--depending on how much space you need. All look lovely.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

626 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed at the Marquesa for a long weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We had a small room overlooking the street, and because the room was small we had exclusive access to the balcony on the front of the hotel. Housekeeping was fantastic, they kept our ice bucket full throughout the day and offered turndown service in the evenings (I cannot remember the last time I experienced this). The pools out back are lovely and secluded with no street noise, and whoever is working inside the hotel/cafe will happily deliver cocktails poolside. My only complaint was the mini fridge not working properly, but that seems inconsequential in the face of such a lovely experience.
Everything is within walking distance, and this will definitely be my first choice of hotels for my next trip to Key West.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bern, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

All in all I can only confirm all the positive reviews which made us choose the Marquesa. We took a basic (cheapest) room and were located above the reception area. The room was failry sized and very well equipped. The check in was quick and of very high standard, which, with all the positive reviews, made for very high expectations on my side. Good and precise information and advice from the check employee (manager ?).

The hotel is in a very old building but very modern in some ways and very nicely kept. Two pools and an inviting sitting area around. We needed a very early breakfast for our waterplane excursion to Dry Tortugas. It worked perfectly. The choice for (in room) breakfast was very limited and will not be enough for hungry people, so you may want to double/triple up or have it outside. Due again to our excursion we were in need of late checkout to have a shower after the island trip. It was provided and there was no hassle for check out.

The location is great too, you can walk everywhere.

To the downside : There are four parking spots outside and about eight to ten indoors behind the hotel. There are an additional two parking spots close to the entrance, one says for handicapped people only with the mention that regular parking is allowed on this space, the second space says 20 minutes only for check in. In the evening only the two spots near the entrance were left. I left the car on the handiccaped spot, attracting some mean looks from pedestrians, and told the person at the reception so(not the same as check in). He said no problem but you have to leave the keys with me. ??? What for ? If we have to move it for checking in clients when another space becomes available on the other parking, he answers. Yeah right, like you're going to check the parking all night. I mean come on, its full its full and you said I could leave it there. So the man insists and insists, threatening me that "we will have to come and wake you up to move it if you don't leave your keys". Besides the fact that this is so ridiculous, I answer that I drive a rental and signed that I would be the only person driving it, now imagine something happening... Anyway, helloooooooooo ???? Where are we ? the TA number 1 hotel in Key West ???? and you threaten me like this ? I kept my keys, left the car where it was, and oh what a surprise, when coming back after dinner....no other spot was vacant to move the car.

This is not worthy of the Marquesa, and you should just not insisit with something like this. You diserved a 0 point review just for this my dear, but I will not be like you and not let your rude and outright ashaming behaviour tarnish the hotel and the rest of the staff.

Another downside was hotel customers and the reception staff talking exaggeratedly loud (like obnoxiously Haaa haaaa haaa Oh my dear ha haaaa loud) in the reception area below our room after 2300 PM and for more than 5 minutes. Now there are signs in your romm and outside that you should not do this or that to disturb the calm and peace of other customers during your stay in the hotel or at the pool.......then do it and advise loud customers at night to tune it down instead of being loud yourself !

I would still recommend the hotel and go definitely go back on another stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The Marquesa is a wonderful hotel, with lovely rooms, a beautiful court yard that includes two pools, and a conveniently located. Our room was on the second floor overlooking the non-heated pool. Our deck was a great place to enjoy a beverage or the continental breakfast (well worth the price). We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway.

There were a few things that we did want to note. They didn't detract from our stay but kept it from being the totally 5 star experience we were hoping for. We had to ask for luggage assistance as the man walked away after only opening our door, even though we (and he) were told at the desk that we would receive help. We saw other people getting a little tour when they arrived, we did not. Noise: the constant loud air conditioner running is very intrusive. Obviously AC is needed but it is loud. Also, the hotel is on the airport flight path so it can also be loud. We understand the noise "is what it is" as we actually live on a major airport flight path. We know the hotel cannot control the need for AC or the airport but it did disturb the peace of a most ideal setting.

The Marquesa Hotel was very close to perfect and recommend it highly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stumbled across the Marquesa by accident-we'd pre-booked Heron House Court Hotel for myself and my 15 year old son-on arrival we were told sorry this is an adult/over 21 venue-no mention of this when booking or on their website-also rather vague about refunding me!any way a quick call to the excellent Dial-A-Flight back in the UK and we are outside the Marquesa-wow! my car gets parked for me,my bags are whisked upstairs to our stunning suite-being carefull not to fall into the chill pool(78degrees) or the relax pool(83degrees)-before i can say "love the waterfall Ken" i'm having a cold beer placed in my hand while Ken runs off to get a glass of wine and fill our icebox.At about this time i remember my previous trips to the more expensive Southernmost Hotels,,,,,,,,,,damn that beer is cold,have a swim,sleep like a baby-me and the boy both agree-it's been a good day!
Would i stay here again?
i wouldn't stay any where else.
Ken,Bruce and Bob and all the staff are doing something really good here-i appreciated it and recommend this stunning oasis to anyone

Room Tip: the rooms by the pools are amazing
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Litchfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

During our visit to Key West my husband and I stayed at Motel, Bed and Breakfast, and Hotel. The Marquesa Hotel was hands down our favorite. It is a bit different than our other stays in that it was not on Duval St and the atmosphere was sophisticated, very relaxing, romantic, and extremely quiet. The staff was very personable, extremely accommodating, and all gave us the impression that they enjoyed their jobs and that they were proud to be a part of the Marquesa Hotel staff. Along with the grounds, our room was top notch.
I contemplated whether or not to write this review because I selfishly wanted to keep the Maerquesa a secret.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The Marquesa was a lovely well appointed hotel that captured the mystique of Key West. It's in a perfect location so a car is not needed. The hotel manager will tend to your every need. They recommended an in-room massage which was the best I ever had. The pools are surrounded by an oasis of flowers, fountains and waterfalls. Very relaxing! To top it off their restaurant is romantic and delicious. Have a scrumptious breakfast delivered to your deck each morning. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the pool
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marquesa Hotel? Share your experiences!