“Really enjoyed our 4 night stay at the Pier House!” 5 of 5 stars

Pier House Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Duval St, Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Key West
Jacksonville, Florida
“Really enjoyed our 4 night stay at the Pier House!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Pier House Resort from June 17- June 21st. We had an ocean front room with a balcony and king bed. This was our post deployment vacation and we asked for a Military Discount. Pier House was very gracious and welcoming. Everything was great! Check in went smoothly, parking was no hassle. We even had a 13ft Boston Whaler boat towed behind our truck (which wasn't exactly fun maneuvering through the streets of Key West). You do have to pay for parking each night, so keep that in mind, however we were not charged for the boat as well as the vehicle.

The room was clean and the view was gorgeous. We could see the world famous Key West sunset from our very own balcony each night. I thoroughly enjoyed the private Pier House Beach they have on the bay side of Key West. The sand is supposedly imported from Bahamas and the water was perfect! The pool attendant who assisted with chairs was most helpful each time we needed a set up. I love Key West and it is very near and dear to my heart. However their beaches leave much to be desired, the Pier House beach was wonderful. The pool was very large and the hot tub was well kept. The poolside/beachside bar was very conveniently placed along side the beach. Servers would come to your chair as you lay in the sand to see if you wanted something to drink. Loved that I didn't actually have to get up as I was relaxing in the sun. Perfect!

The grounds to the Pier House were always clean and very tropical. Every employee we came across including House Keeping was helpful and pleasant. I would most definitely stay at the Pier House again. It's location at the western end of Duval street is central to everything. Even though Pier House is located on the "party" side of the island, it is very peaceful and quiet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe D, General Manager at Pier House Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa. I am glad you had a great experience during your stay. As you mentioned, we do bring in clean white sand twice a year to give our guest a great beach experience. My team prides itself on providing great customer service so that you have an enjoyable vacation. On your next visit try our famous Chart Room bar where Mel Fisher planned his daily dives to find the Atocha treasure. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit and thank you for your business.

Joe Dantoni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Londonderry, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This past May my husband and I stayed at the Pier House for our third time in four years (we LOVE Key West). Although we had a wonderful time (who couldn't in paradise) we will think twice about staying at the Pier House again.

Pros:
Welcome back drinks!
When we checked in the front desk gave us a gift welcoming us back to the Pier House! We settled into our room and went right down to the beach bar for our complimentary drinks! I had a cosmo with raspberry stoli and my husband had a rum punch type thing. Both were DELICIOUS! Joanie took great care of us! Nice touch Pier House! We felt that our business was appreciated (more hotels should do this)

Familiar faces
We recognize many of the staff members that we got to know during our many stays at Pier House. Joanie, Janine and JJ are amongst our favorites! They have wonderful customer service skills and know just what to do to help you relax into island time........

Caribbean spa rooms
This year we decided to splurge on a room in the spa building and we were glad we did! Although it was quite a bit more than the traditional rooms it was nice to treat ourselves. The room was huge with a gigantic bathroom. There was even a small tv right next to the mirror. It was great to watch tv while getting ready to hit Duval.

And now for the Cons

When we checked in I opened a bottle of club soda and it bubbled and overflowed onto the floor. My husband brought me a face cloth to clean up the spill. I quickly wiped up the spot and the towel was BLACK!! BLACK! It must have been quite some time since the floor was washed for it to be that dirty. I am a bit of a clean freak and I have felt comfortable staying at the Pier House since I thought it was so clean.......... but it certainly did not feel clean this time.

Lay Offs
Prior to our stay we heard that the resort had been sold. We asked a staff member if they knew of any changes to the resort and he told us it was too early to tell. He did mention that they were going to fire and then re-hire most of the staff. On our second to last night we witnessed several sad good byes between co-workers that were not rehired by the new management company. It was a pretty sad thing to see on a vacation. I tend to empathize with others and to be honest it put a damper on that evening.

Lunch at the beach bar
My husband and I always spend one day lounging around the beach and pool. This year we got lunch at the beach bar. We shared the lobster BLTs and a salad. Although the salad was huge, fresh and delicious the lobster dish was a disappointment. One of my sliders had a hard black piece of lobster. It was so hard and chewy I couldn't even bite through it. The kitchen staff should pay better attention to cleaning up the lobster. That kind of thing really grosses me out........

Chart room
We tend to close out our nights at the Chart room with JJ. We were excited to see that he was working when we stopped in. JJ engages all of the guests at the bar in a way that makes the atmosphere seem more like a party than a bar. He is a blast!! We met two other couples one night and had So much fun! We spent hours drinking and laughing with our new friends. On our last night we were had plans to meet up with one of the couples late night at the Chart Room. When we went to let ourselves in to this hidden gem........ the doors were locked with a sign that said the bar was closed and will be open tomorrow. To put this nicely were pretty "ticked off." I was so so so disappointed. It was our last night and we had the perfect evening planned with a night cap at the Chart room. We weren't the only ones that were upset, we witnessed several people that went to have a drink at the Chart Room only to be let down. When we asked the front desk the gentleman behind the counter said "well you'll just have to come visit us again." Ummmmmmmm nooooooo we paid close to a mortgage payment to stay at a resort with some of the best amenities and to not have access to one is bad business. Sorry but there might not be next time.

Internet
We reluctantly made our way down to the lobby to check out and start the trek home. We asked the front desk if they had a computer that we could use to print out our boarding passes. He showed us where it was and I logged onto jetblue to print the boarding passes so we didn't have to wait in line in Ft Lauderdale (we were driving from KW to Ft Lauderdale). The computer was older and did not have the proper download to print our boarding passes! The computer was so slow that it took us 20 minutes of waiting until we got the pop up that said the computer did not have the proper program to print the passes. This is a common thing to do at the lobby computers and Pier House should really look into fixing this. It was a more than a bit frustrating. We had lunch at the Southernmost Beach Café and when were done we popped into the hotel part of the resort and printed our boarding passes within minutes. Perhaps we will stay with them next time.........

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed feedback. I am glad you like Pier House and we hope you will return. The change in ownership went smoothly and for the most part, our guest have been pleased. I am sorry that was not your experience and I hope you will allow us to try again soon. Some of the points that you pointed out are not acceptable and will be reviewed immediately. As for the famous Chart Room - our apologies as the gem of Key West was closed for one night for inventory purposes due to the change in ownership. I hope you will visit soon and allow us the opportunity to showcase a great experience.

Miami Beach, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Checking out of the Pier House today after 3 nights. Brought my Girlfriend here for her birthday (not our first time to Key West, either). The staff was very helpful and nice. The location is phenomenal although you could likely get away without ever leaving the resort (between 3 bars, restaurant, spa and beach). We would definitely come back!

Be careful to NOT lock yourself on the balcony. We were so excited by the view when we first came into the room - we stepped out and the lock slid into place behind us. Fortunately we were on the first floor. :)

The main downside for us was room location (room 118). It's got a great view, great balcony, and wonderful air conditioning - but it's situated next to 3 or 4 other room doors, an elevator and a stairwell. As such it gets a bit noisy in the morning.

The Spa was okay - did the job but was not an exceptionally luxurious experience.

Overall - really liked this place!

Room Tip: Room 118 is in a busy location. I assume it's similar for the rooms above this one too. I'd...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I am glad you enjoyed you stay at the Pier House Resort and Spa and thank you for your business. My assocaites pride themselves on great service and have been awarded the "Outstanding Service Award" from Trip Advisor in 2013. I am happy you had a pleasant experience and hope to see you soon.

Kent, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My wife & I vacation at least yearly and have stayed in many great hotels, but the Pier House in Key West tops them all. Every staff member we encounter consistently provided the best possible service, the food at their restaurants was great, especially their breakfast that started our many days of adventures. Without question we will stay at the Pier House again when we venture back to this beautiful island.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms provide stunning views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa and for the kind words. It is our pleasure hosting you during your adventures in Key West and I hope to see you again soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Lovely hotel near the center of everything in Key West. I loved the private beach (although I suspect would be crowded during the busy season). Pool very small--did not use at all since beach available. Staff were great. Concierge (both Lee and Todd) both very helpful. I would absolutely stay here again.

Ate at the restaurant just the first night--very overpriced for what we got and although our server was on top of things it seemed that the kitchen was backed up due to a wedding so we waited a LONG time for our order despite being practically the only ones there...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind words about the Pier House Resort and Spa. I am sorry about the restaurant back up, but glad you enjoyed the service and hope you had a wonderful meal. It sounds like you had a great time in Key West and glad you experienced our concierge services. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

North Massapequa, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We (3 couples) visited the Pier House during June's dreary weather, but even the clouds & rain couldn't dampen this resort's appeal. It's a great place, in a great location, for visiting Key West, and I'd return in a heartbeat. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is wonderfully accommodating, and the free popcorn flows until late in the night.

Unfortunately, even the great staff was unable to procure a sunset for us, but we enjoyed the view from their private beach just the same. We also enjoyed the pool, and especially the hot tub, to soothe the legs after the treks up and down Duval St. The location of this resort, right at the head of Duval St, meant that we were in the midst of all the action that Key West can provide. The parking was convenient as well, so it wasn't a big hassle using the car for longer excursions.

The rooms were fine, and housekeeping services were great. I didn't need my Engineering degree to operate the TV, and there was even turn-down service. Because of the weather, we didn't avail ourselves of some of the resort's amenities, but we did get to lie on the beach one day and enjoy the cloud cover.

Bottom line: if I get to visit Key West again, the Pier House is where I'll be staying.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying at the Pier House Resort and Spa and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Sorry to hear about the weather ( typical for Florida afternoons) but it sounds like it didn't keep you from having a great experience. Come back and see us soon and we will have some popcorn ready for you on your next visit.

New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Room was small, but loved the fact that room service was on top of their game - cleaning in the mornings, tuck-downs in the evening. Location is great. The pool is too small - can really use a redo. The beach was nice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on the Pier House Resort and Spa. My team prides itself on impeccable service and are glad you had a pleasant experience. Come back and see us soon.

Joe Dantoni

Been to Pier House Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!