“Pretty decent ..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Oasis Guesthouse
Save Saved
You added Oasis Guesthouse to your Saves list
822 / 823 Fleming St., Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #88 of 97 Key West B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“Pretty decent ..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 days at this place last week. We booked the room from Hotels.com with a different name, not knowing that its called Oasis Guesthouse. Strange enough, the hotel with the new name had Zero ratings online. It's new name is Fleming Bed and Breakfast.

We had taken the risk and to our surprise everything went very well. The rooms were spacious, location perfect -- given that its walking distance from most interesting places, but also safely secluded. The staff were quiet friendly and helpful overall. The place is clean and overall well maintained (pool, kitchen and other general areas).

What did we not like ??
Well, the breakfast was very basic. For a place that has "breakfast" in its name, we were expecting something more than just bread, butter and cereal. But, thats not a biggie !!
To get hot water in our shower, it took about 15 mins of running water before it got warm. What a waste of precious resource !!

Overall, decent place and we would recommend this to all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

I have been staying at the Oasis for years. When I arrived they were just finishing renovating my room. New carpet. The place was in need of a refresh so that's good. The character of the place has also changed. Generally there had always been numerous folk out by the pools and of was quite friendly. This time the pool areas were a ghost town. They are clearly trying to attract a new type of clientele (most were there for one night and found the place online on travel sites). I think they are losing a lot long-time loyal customers to the place that bought their property across the street. If your a new customer looking for a charming place in a great location it's probably perfect. If you're a long-time customer expecting to see the atmosphere and people you see each year you may be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2013
Amsterdam, Nederland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed in this resort 12 times over the last 15 years, so it felt like home away from home for us - despite the long flight from Europe. In the last years we have seen Key West become a different place. And it really hasn't improved. But, despite that, we knew where the good atmosphere was and Oasis was one of those places for us. Despite its flaws (cleanliness, repairs, letting it deteriorate and not invest in the property) it was a great place to go back to and I always loved it.
The last time we stayed was in april - may last year. Now we are informed that the place is sold, going to be renovated, and mixed clientele. So, last year was our last stay. We can go everywhere if we want a mixed clientele.
Key West is rapidly deteriorating for the gays. It you dont need the 24/7 party and sex of Island house only a few properties remain and even fewer that are male only. It really is a shame.
Oasis, despite everything, you will be missed. We will be in Key West across the street in April/May 2013, perhaps to say goodbye to 15 years of good memories.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Eastern Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Our first trip to Key West and I stumbled across this B&B from Bookings.com (it went by the name of Tranquility House on that website). We drove into town and needed a place to stay. After looking various websites, I was beginning to think we were going to have to stay in new town in order to find a place with a nice pool for under $200.

Parking is on street, but when we were buzzed in the gate the few circles around the block were worth it. The property is much larger than you would think from the outside, at least 4-5 houses/buildings. A pool, large/deep hot tub and a soaking HOT hot tub! Our room (303) is a basic double queen room with great decor. There is a basic continental breakfast with happy hour in the evenings (wine & cheese). We rented bikes from the office to get around and explore Key West, although all of old town is within walking distance.

The biggest drawback is tgat there are renovations going on. The workers don't start until after 8 and must quit early afternoon, so the inconvenience is being managed as well as possible.

Another couple staying booked through the visitors center on Big Pine Key.

• Stayed January 2013
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

This was my third stay at the Oasis/Coral Tree/Coconut Grove complex. The first two stays were years ago and they were fantastic. I also enjoyed this visit, but was sad to hear that the resort has been sold and will be changing. In short, it seems that it will be going co-ed and will no longer be clothing optional.

I stayed in Coconut Grove this time. It is the most recently renovated and added portion of the complex, and probably the nicest. The staff gave me a ground-level room right off the front porch. I loved it. It was convenient to the pool, and I could watch people on Fleming from the porch. And, the room itself was outstanding (i.e., clean, spacious, and well-decorated).

The location of the complex is outstanding. It's a short walk to everything in old town. And, you can rent a bike and get anyplace on the island quickly. You really don't need (or want) a car here.

The Oasis itself is looking a little tired and worn. I suspect, however, it is about to get a facelift in January 2013. My only complaint was that there was no hot water in my shower; during the week-long stay I managed to get it warm once...that was it. The staff insisted that I just need to let the water run, but even after 10 to 15 minutes, there was no hot water.

Here's hoping the new owners retain some of the charm!

Room Tip: I would request Coconut Grove.