“Hidden gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Oasis Guesthouse
822 / 823 Fleming St., Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #89 of 98 Key West B&B and Inns
Eastern Oregon
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Our first trip to Key West and I stumbled across this B&B from Bookings.com (it went by the name of Tranquility House on that website). We drove into town and needed a place to stay. After looking various websites, I was beginning to think we were going to have to stay in new town in order to find a place with a nice pool for under $200.

Parking is on street, but when we were buzzed in the gate the few circles around the block were worth it. The property is much larger than you would think from the outside, at least 4-5 houses/buildings. A pool, large/deep hot tub and a soaking HOT hot tub! Our room (303) is a basic double queen room with great decor. There is a basic continental breakfast with happy hour in the evenings (wine & cheese). We rented bikes from the office to get around and explore Key West, although all of old town is within walking distance.

The biggest drawback is tgat there are renovations going on. The workers don't start until after 8 and must quit early afternoon, so the inconvenience is being managed as well as possible.

Another couple staying booked through the visitors center on Big Pine Key.

• Stayed January 2013

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

This was my third stay at the Oasis/Coral Tree/Coconut Grove complex. The first two stays were years ago and they were fantastic. I also enjoyed this visit, but was sad to hear that the resort has been sold and will be changing. In short, it seems that it will be going co-ed and will no longer be clothing optional.

I stayed in Coconut Grove this time. It is the most recently renovated and added portion of the complex, and probably the nicest. The staff gave me a ground-level room right off the front porch. I loved it. It was convenient to the pool, and I could watch people on Fleming from the porch. And, the room itself was outstanding (i.e., clean, spacious, and well-decorated).

The location of the complex is outstanding. It's a short walk to everything in old town. And, you can rent a bike and get anyplace on the island quickly. You really don't need (or want) a car here.

The Oasis itself is looking a little tired and worn. I suspect, however, it is about to get a facelift in January 2013. My only complaint was that there was no hot water in my shower; during the week-long stay I managed to get it warm once...that was it. The staff insisted that I just need to let the water run, but even after 10 to 15 minutes, there was no hot water.

Here's hoping the new owners retain some of the charm!

Room Tip: I would request Coconut Grove.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Such a great place the first time was with my x, now I come with my man of 16 years, we made drinks and hit the pool and hot tub. The service was great, breakfast was good and just out our door . 11am a slow walk in town,and back to the pool. Lunch next door at deli was great. Hot showers, clean room when we not in it much....pool!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

I recently had the chance to stay at the oasis guest house in key west Fla...I had stayed there in the past but not for many years ...was nice to go back ...the staff were very helpful and attentive ..and the resort has a nice laid back feel to it ..so thanks !...but while there I heard rumours that the place will no longer be a gay guest house ..but as much as key west has become it will be a just a regular guest house open to.eveyone ...its a shame but just the way of the world in key west ..

• Stayed August 2012
Richmond, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

As a returning guest of more than fifteen years, my affinity for the Oasis/Coconut Grove has only grown with each visit. With three pools, a terrific hot tub and classic Bahamian architecture the compound is the perfect place for me to relax and reinvigorate. The entire staff is exceedingly gracious and accommodating, particularly "the man in charge", Jorje. He's been an integral figure to the resort since my first visit and makes sure that I'm well taken care of. It's close enough to Duval if I want to venture into "tourist-land", yet far enough away that I can escape to the quiet breezes of the island, particularly on the rooftop deck. Just strip down and let the sun do the rest.The rooms are more than adequate in size and amenities; always tidy and well attended to. I can also count on quickly making fast friends here from all walks of life. All in all, the Oasis/Coconut Grove is the perfect place for me to stay on this tiny island that I've grown to love.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed in room 119 with my partner from June 7-10 2012 while my friends stayed in a suite near the office for the same price. Our room was filthy, moldy and we killed three palmetto bugs in it.The bathroom was disgustingly dirty, moldy and had ants all over the sink, it looked like it had not been cleaned in months. You had to hold the toilet the whole time to flush it. The sink did not have a stopper and I almost lost my electric tooth brush head in the drain. The room was small with no place to sit or put anything and was dimly lit by two 25 watt bulbs, guess you didn't want us to see much. The TV was positioned to the right so there was no comfortable way to watch it.
If you say we paid extra for the balcony, we did not use it because it was covered in ants, the furniture out there was also filthy and moldy.
I DID ASK for a room change and was told that you were FULL for Saturday night as it was pride weekend and I would need to come back to this room, which meant I would have to change rooms three times. So I kept the room to only sleep hoping for no more palmetto bugs.
The manager stated the property is being sold but this is no excuse for the disgusting situation I encountered. I could go on about things on the property like no ice in the machine and more dirt and mold around but I think everyone gets the picture, stay away!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pinehurst, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

My partner and I have been loyal guests of the Oasis, Coconut Grove, Coral Tree group for several years. We have met many good friends there. The reosrt has an all welcoming quality that is rare to find. The Coconut Grove house was beautifully redecorated and updated a few years ago, the rest of the property would benefit from an update as well. The location is prime, only a few blocks from many great restaurants, and Fausto's market. Close to the marina for the Blu Q, and ofcourse , close to Duval street bars. Jerry , Jorge and all of the staff work hard to make us all feel at home. Complimentary frozen drinks are served by the pool in the afternoon, wine and snacks in the evening, as well as a continental breakfast each morning. This resort is very laid back , just as is the Key West lifestyle.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet vacation I suggest staying at the Coral Tree building, a little remov...
Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Oasis Guesthouse? Share your experiences!