“Nice stay ..but hear its changing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Oasis Guesthouse
Save Saved
You added Oasis Guesthouse to your Saves list
822 / 823 Fleming St., Key West, FL 33040   |
Ranked #88 of 97 Key West B&B and Inns
“Nice stay ..but hear its changing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

I recently had the chance to stay at the oasis guest house in key west Fla...I had stayed there in the past but not for many years ...was nice to go back ...the staff were very helpful and attentive ..and the resort has a nice laid back feel to it ..so thanks !...but while there I heard rumours that the place will no longer be a gay guest house ..but as much as key west has become it will be a just a regular guest house open to.eveyone ...its a shame but just the way of the world in key west ..

• Stayed August 2012

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Richmond, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

As a returning guest of more than fifteen years, my affinity for the Oasis/Coconut Grove has only grown with each visit. With three pools, a terrific hot tub and classic Bahamian architecture the compound is the perfect place for me to relax and reinvigorate. The entire staff is exceedingly gracious and accommodating, particularly "the man in charge", Jorje. He's been an integral figure to the resort since my first visit and makes sure that I'm well taken care of. It's close enough to Duval if I want to venture into "tourist-land", yet far enough away that I can escape to the quiet breezes of the island, particularly on the rooftop deck. Just strip down and let the sun do the rest.The rooms are more than adequate in size and amenities; always tidy and well attended to. I can also count on quickly making fast friends here from all walks of life. All in all, the Oasis/Coconut Grove is the perfect place for me to stay on this tiny island that I've grown to love.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed in room 119 with my partner from June 7-10 2012 while my friends stayed in a suite near the office for the same price. Our room was filthy, moldy and we killed three palmetto bugs in it.The bathroom was disgustingly dirty, moldy and had ants all over the sink, it looked like it had not been cleaned in months. You had to hold the toilet the whole time to flush it. The sink did not have a stopper and I almost lost my electric tooth brush head in the drain. The room was small with no place to sit or put anything and was dimly lit by two 25 watt bulbs, guess you didn't want us to see much. The TV was positioned to the right so there was no comfortable way to watch it.
If you say we paid extra for the balcony, we did not use it because it was covered in ants, the furniture out there was also filthy and moldy.
I DID ASK for a room change and was told that you were FULL for Saturday night as it was pride weekend and I would need to come back to this room, which meant I would have to change rooms three times. So I kept the room to only sleep hoping for no more palmetto bugs.
The manager stated the property is being sold but this is no excuse for the disgusting situation I encountered. I could go on about things on the property like no ice in the machine and more dirt and mold around but I think everyone gets the picture, stay away!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pinehurst, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

My partner and I have been loyal guests of the Oasis, Coconut Grove, Coral Tree group for several years. We have met many good friends there. The reosrt has an all welcoming quality that is rare to find. The Coconut Grove house was beautifully redecorated and updated a few years ago, the rest of the property would benefit from an update as well. The location is prime, only a few blocks from many great restaurants, and Fausto's market. Close to the marina for the Blu Q, and ofcourse , close to Duval street bars. Jerry , Jorge and all of the staff work hard to make us all feel at home. Complimentary frozen drinks are served by the pool in the afternoon, wine and snacks in the evening, as well as a continental breakfast each morning. This resort is very laid back , just as is the Key West lifestyle.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet vacation I suggest staying at the Coral Tree building, a little remov...
Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Isla Mujeres
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Spent five nights in this beautiful guesthouse. Gracious staff, comfortable rooms and even bicycles to explore the charming streets of Key West. Loved meeting other guests over wine and snacks at happy hour, and over coffee and breakfast in the morning. Quiet location, beautiful pools, comfortable bed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Guerneville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Best features: extensive, well-kept landscaping, clean huge whirlpool seating over 20, convenient, quiet Old Town location (4 blocks from Duval, 3 blocks to Island House, and 1-4 blocks from several excellent restaurants), cordial and helpful front desk, decent continental breakfast and social hour.

Our room was clean with fairly basic, tasteful furnishings and nice cable flat screen TV. If you have problem with stairs, ask for a ground floor room because some 2nd and 3rd floor rooms require climbing extensive stairs (also true next door at Coconut Grove). Also a good idea to book early for holiday weekends - the resort was pretty much booked for Presidents Day weekend.
The two large, friendly elderly cats, one black and one brown, will come into your room and make themselves at home if you let them. (But don't try to pet the little black cat!)

Breakfast typically has orange, grapefruit, and tomato juices, English muffins, bagels, muffins, bananas, apples, yogurt, assortment of cereals, coffee and teas. If you want a hot breakfast with eggs, etc., try Harpoon Harry's diner only two blocks away on Caroline. The evening social hour had red and white wine and usually one or two appetizers that changed each day (e.g. chicken wings, meat balls, pot stickers, etc.).

Minor irritations: Our room needed more storage for clothes. There was one dresser with four drawers and a closet, which can mean living out of your suitcase unless you have lots of hanging clothes, especially if you're staying longer than a weekend (and our room had two beds, which means even more limited storage for four guests). Some shelves added to the closet and perhaps a small bookshelf or 2nd dresser in the sitting area would help.
The first generation, restricted-flow showerheads with the fine spray could be updated to more modern fixtures that have a choice of spray pattern (such as the showers at Island House).
The large pool was too cool for us (guessing <83) so we used the balmy 90+ pool at the Island House. There is a smaller pool that was nicely warm but too small to really swim or walk. Also the lounge chairs by the pool are web cloth stretched on plastic frames, which are comfortable if you're lying on your back. But the adjustable head / upper body section is designed with a permanent tilt, viz. you can't lay flat. So, if you lay on your stomach, you have to switch ends with your legs slightly elevated. This is the only place we've seen this particular design.
The housekeeping was generally fine, although one of them (perhaps new) was inconsistent - leaving two towels one day, three the next, not adding soap bars until I asked, etc.

The "poor" reviews seem exaggerated (an "inch" of dust - really?!). Yes, some of the rooms might benefit from some updating, but they were clean, the AC worked fine, the beds comfortable. The staff was never rude. We arrived in a pouring rain and one of them came out to our car with an umbrella so we would not get soaked.

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs, ask for a ground floor room. The Oasis is more convenient than the si...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Hampton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Another great time in my recent visit to the Oasis Complex and Key West. Always feels like coming home. Great group of guests from all around the world were there, all rooms filled in the Oasis/Coconut Grove/Coral Tree. Love the social atmosphere around the pools or laying out getting sun... best place for sun in KW. Afternoon frozen drinks and early evening happy hour was another great socializing event. Looking forward to my next trip!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Oasis Guesthouse? Share your experiences!