“Interesting walking tour” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 69 Attractions in Key West
Type: Cemeteries, Cultural
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: A very unusual cemetery - several graves have humorous epitaphs (e.g., "I told you I was sick").
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 attraction reviews
“Interesting walking tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

The cemetery in Key West is a lot like the city itself: quirky, crowded, colorful and full of history.
There’s the grave of the real Sloppy Joe – “Sloppy” Joe Russell (1889-1941) who was Ernest Hemingway’s fishing guide and a famous Key West bartender.■A popular stop is B.P. “Pearl” Roberts (1929-1979) who famously had inscribed “I told you I was sick.”
■Nearby, Gloria M. Russell (1926-2000) notes: “I’m just resting my eyes.”

• Polish first
Charleston, SC
19 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Rode our bicycles through and saw the great headstones, from "Captain Outrageous" to "I Told You I Was Sick".

Rock Hall, Maryland
11 attraction reviews
“Peacefull”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Very peace full place to be. We go at sunrise get some Cuban coffee and the Key West Citizen and welcome the morning. Cool unique gravestones include the original Sloppy Joe the famous....See I Told you I was sick headstone(northwest corner in the Jewish section).

Saint Louis, Missouri
13 attraction reviews
“Fun but WAAARRRM”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I downloaded a map and we walked around the cemetery for over an hour-the map really helps as it highlights all the big names in Key West that are buried there as well as monuments. There isn't much shade though so you will be hot.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
3 attraction reviews
“Pure History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

The cemetary is very old and kept in top notch condition. Take your time and read the tombstones I havn't taken the your, but heard is is very good. No cars or motorcycle alowed, but you cane ride your bike

Visited October 2013