“You cannot miss this” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Cemeteries
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A very unusual cemetery - several graves have humorous epitaphs (e.g., "I told you I was sick").
Bridgeport, Alabama
7 attraction reviews
“You cannot miss this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

this was one of the highlights of my trip. Its really very interesting. I had never been to a cemetery like this one and it was fun to look for the ones that we had read about. Not to mention the iquanas and roosters everywhere.

• Polish first
Garfield, New Jersey
19 attraction reviews
“interesting and cool!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

All graves above ground. Little piece of history. small and compact. Intersting place to see....if you like cemetaries.....which I do lol

Visited July 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
33 attraction reviews
“Go, explore and have fun.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The Key West Cemetery captures the essence of the city itself – humorous, irreverent and just a bit whimsical. I wanted to take a free guided tour, offered Tuesday and Thursday, but it was low season and I was told a tour guide wasn’t available. So, my guesthouse printed a self-guided tour and cemetery map and I set out to explore the cemetery on my bike. It turned out to be fascinating, with interesting bits of history, unique tombstones of the common and famous, plus some eye-catching epitaphs. Because it’s so close to sea level, much of it is above ground.

There is a monument to the U.S.S. Maine, blown up in Havana Harbor killing 260 American sailors, 20 of whom are buried here. You’ll also find the grave of “General” Abe Sawyer, Key West’s famous 40 inch midget who requested burial in the grave of a full size man. And it’s the final resting place of Manuel Cabeza. He enraged the KKK by having a relationship with a mulatto woman, so they tarred and feathered him. In retaliation, he shot and killed one of his persecutors in the middle of Duval St. on Christmas Eve. The next day he was pulled from the jail and lynched. Many of Key West’s movers and shakers are laid to rest here, too.

My favorite epitaphs include, “I told you I was sick,” “I’m just resting my eyes,” and “Devoted Fan of Singer Julio Iglesias.”

Go, explore and have fun.

Visited September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
30 attraction reviews
“Mini New Orleans type cemetery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I could not find the pamphlets giving tips on what to see in the cemetery and so I walked aimlessly in the cemetery. I enjoyed the place, thinking this might be a miniature version of the cemetery in New Orleans, beads on statues etc. We were surprised by the number of small size graves next to larger ones and all surrounded by little wall to separate them from the next plot (family?). We wondered abut the circumstances of these groupings and we were sorry not to have explanations about what we were looking at. We were also surprised to see a grave marker that seemed plucked right out of Arlington, VA, with no other like it anywhere else, resting on another grave and much larger grave. I am glad I saw this little cemetery, a testimony to a culture I wish I knew more about.

Cape Coral, Florida
8 attraction reviews
“Interesting but come prepared.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

A self guided tour of the cemetery that really helped connect to the history and ghost tours we took. We found the Otto sites (Robert the doll owner) which were cool. A bit of hike if you're walking. Come prepared. It is Key West for Pete's sake and you'll be walking on blacktop so it gets hot. Needless to say they have not installed misters and there isn't much shade ( duh- cemetery!).