“Needs Some Tending, But Interesting” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 188 things to do in Key West
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: A very unusual cemetery - several graves have humorous epitaphs (e.g., "I told you I was sick").
Scottsdale, Arizona
35 attraction reviews
“Needs Some Tending, But Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I walked through this cemetery following the self-guided tour map that is available for free from the box at the office at the main gate. We found the information in the guide interesting, but it was very hard, if not impossible, to locate all the highlighted graves. I would suggest that the folks that oversee the cemetery place small, discrete numbers corresponding with the guide's numbers by each of the plots. I suspect that no one would find that offensive and it would certainly aid folks in following the tour. There were several places that we were interested in seeing that we were not able to locate even though we thought we were in the exact location marked on the guide's map. We also noted that many of the graves are not very well tended with weeds growing in many of the plots. However, it was interesting seeing a snippet of Key West history and, as others have noted, some of the epitaphs are moving and funny. Also, keep an eye out for the iguana that appeared to be living near the main gate.

• Polish first
Buffalo, New York
6 attraction reviews
“local cemetery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

unique for me. Makes you think of the above ground New Orleans style but does allso have under ground sites.

Visited February 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
45 attraction reviews
“Even the Dead are Funny”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We went here one afternoon and enjoyed walking through the graves. Some of the headstones are really very lovely and worthy of making etchings from and later frame.

But the best of all was a brass plaque on a crypt that read, "See? I told you I was sick". How hilarious is that? She got the last laugh, that's for sure!

There were some lurky people hanging around the fringes of the area that were a little creepy. Go bar car and keep near it. We moved ours twice just to have a better feeling of safety. Creepers are known to hang out around cemeteries all over the world; this one is no different.

Enjoy!

Visited March 2012
Virginia
55 attraction reviews
“An interesting above ground cemetary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Most of the graves are above ground here due to the island being mostly coral. There are some interesting family plots as well. It's worth a quick stop one morning if you're nearby. We were there for less than an hour and enjoyed it.

Visited January 2013
41 attraction reviews
“Dead is Lively!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

If you think "Boot Hill" is boring, then you have never taken the time to really explore the Key West Cemetary. Each path, each epitaph gives new meaning to humor: my favorite is: "I told you I was sick!" When you need to get a bit of "rest" in Key West, visit the Cemetary, and be sure it is only a SHORT visit, not something everlasting!

Visited March 2012