“Interesting headstones and history” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 69 Attractions in Key West
Type: Cemeteries, Cultural
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: A very unusual cemetery - several graves have humorous epitaphs (e.g., "I told you I was sick").
Hilton Head, South Carolina
32 attraction reviews
“Interesting headstones and history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Surprisingly large considering the size of Key West, but it does go back almost 200 years. Some interesting headstones with "funny" epitaphs...and it is a quiet place amidst a generally noisy town. Good for a walk around the grounds.

• Polish first
Las Cruces, New Mexico
26 attraction reviews
“Probably interesting historically but visually...not so much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Nothing special in the monuments and the plantings are pretty sad. I admit, I didn't read many headstones/monuments. The general historical context was apparent--jam-packed together with newer sections looking bit like the motel rooms on A1A. Be warned-no usable shade.

Voorheesville, New York
5 attraction reviews
“One of my favorites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Don't miss this. Take the tour if possible. Interesting graves, stories and epitaphs. Loved the pet burials.

Miami Beach, Florida
35 attraction reviews
“Graves above ground”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I just passed this cemetery on one of the tour buses.

Don't think it is somewhere I would visit, as a cemetery is not of much interest to me.

It is however notable that all graves are above ground due to the geography of the area (not much soil). I think seeing it from a tour bus was enough for me.

Visited December 2012
Stockholm, Sverige
8 attraction reviews
“Not as funny as I thought”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had read about this cemetary in my guide book that it had some really funny quotes on the gravestones, like the famous one "I told you I was sick". But we didn't see any other. We got a map at the main entrance. It had some information about the graves of famous Key West-people and a couple of tragically killed people. We had to go further so we didn't had time to go around the whole cemetary. It was a little dissapointing to not find any of the "funny quotes" that we were promised in our book, but at least we got to see a cemetary that seemed to be a typical old one.