“I was amazed” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Cemeteries
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A very unusual cemetery - several graves have humorous epitaphs (e.g., "I told you I was sick").
Lantana, Florida, United States
“I was amazed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I love to visit very old cemeteries in different states and this was a one of a kind for me. I have never seen one like this but loved it! I got a lot of pictures of very old headstones and I noticed so many babies were lost back then in the 1800's. Will go back when I can walk around not in the rain.

• Polish first
Key West, Florida
7 attraction reviews
“Not sure how to review a cemetery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is a very old and quite large cemetery right in the heart of old town.
Since I have not tried to stay here myself I can not comment on its comfort and once I do, I will probably not write about it.
Now, if you are looking for an interesting 2 hour stroll, this is a great place to do that.

Be sure to look for the tombstone which reads " I told you I was sick"

Visited December 2012
Kingston, Pennsylvania
22 attraction reviews
“Nice walk”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Take a nice walk or a bike ride to the Cemetery, at the main gate there are maps to interesting history.

New York, USA
15 attraction reviews
“A Lot of Walking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Pick up a map in a mailbox on the door. Don't ask the man inside the office - he gets annoyed. We walked all over and many of the graves sites are interesting the history of Key West is laid out before you.
One epitaph says I told you I was sick!
The original cemetery was at the waterside but was flooded and so this one is on a higher spot and the coffins are in cement containers in double and triple stacks.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
14 attraction reviews
“Neat Place Full of History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

It was amazing to see the history in this cemetery. There were sailors from The Maine which most captivated my interest. There were also graves for locals, rich and poor, as well as foreign nationals. I wish I would have had more time to walk around and explore. They have helpful guides and maps at the entrance.