“mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Reef Club

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Key Largo
Ocean Reef Club
You added Ocean Reef Club to your Saves list
35 Ocean Reef Drive, Key Largo, FL 33037   |
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Key Largo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nebraska
“mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband had a conference at the Ocean Reef Club recently and we stayed for four nights. The 'community' is gorgeous and absolutely pristine (maybe a little too Stepford-ish pristine?). The pool area was fabulous and it was fun lying on a chaise lounge at the water's edge and gazing into the bay. I enjoyed the food--especially amazing considering that it was 'meeting food.' Our room was spacious, functional, and pretty.

So why the average rating?
1.) Arrival. I didn't know what type of room my husband had reserved so I asked the person checking us in if we had an ocean view. Rather testily he snapped, "I gave you the room you reserved--no ocean view." This irritated us just enough that, rather than ask for and pay for an upgrade, we grabbed our non-ocean view room key and slunk away.
2.) Pool grill/bar service. Horrible. Nasty wait stuff who pretended like they didn't see patrons sitting at a table. I would say they favored the members but, after watching them for awhile, don't think that was true. They spread their distain around to everyone.
3.) Housekeeping. Actually this got to be funny and something my husband and I made bets on every day--would we or would we not be the grateful recipients of washcloths? I wrote notes, I asked directly--didn't matter. Ever hopeful, we would return to our room after it was cleaned each day, only to have our hopes of scoring washcloths dashed. A quick call to Housekeeping was all it took but honestly, pretty ridiculous for a resort of this caliber. Finding a small plastic football in the room upon arrival was a little disconcerting as well.
4.) My last 'con' is purely a personal preference but did impact my enjoyment of the resort--as other posters have mentioned, Ocean Reef is a fair jaunt from Key Largo. I'd prefer staying in Key Largo proper, or at least 7-8 miles closer.

Good or bad customer service can make or break a business for me. If a hotel/restaurant doesn't appear to want my business, that's fine. Other places do. My husband and I love fine resorts and recognize that this is a lovely property--maybe just not for us in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Florida USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I wonder about some of the reviews complaints I haves read? The rooms are right up there with the Four Seasons or Ritz. The service was right up there also The food was way above average in many dining venues...And the employess are all incredibly friendly. It certainly is no Miami Beach in this regard. The prices were just at upscale resort levels. Maybe the complainers were simply not well traveled enough to appreciate it. If you want Motel Six this is not the place for you

Room Tip: They are all excellent
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This weekend was the first time I was at the ocean reef club since I was a child. Very relaxing spot. Came on a boat so I don't know what the hotels on the island are like but the grounds are excellent. You can see the water from anywhere including the swimming pools, bars , and restaurants. It's the "red neck riviera"...very American upscale vacay spot

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
West Bloomfield, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed here as part of an annual corporate rewards trip. I'm thankful my company paid as I wouldn't have stayed here and paid their rates. The property is nice and very secure. The ocean views are nice and it's easy to find your way around the property. I can't remember the distance, but it's about 10 miles to the main road in the Keys.

The food was good and the rooms were very nice. However, during our trip there was a ton of rain in the Keys. Since most activities are geared towards the water, our itineraries were cancelled. The heavy rains also meant the bathroom ceiling in our ocean view room took on water and we had to be moved to another room. Since it's short notice, it's understandable if they couldn't keep us in the same building. We ended up with a partial view of the lagoon and a partial parking lot view. They weren't at all apologetic, considering how much time they spent trying to repair the first bathroom while we were there. The second room was not as nice and at 6AM the fire alarm was beeping due to a low battery. I called the front desk and they said nobody was available until 7AM. I pushed a little more and they said they'd send somebody up right away. After 30 minutes still nobody was there. I called back and they said they sent somebody, but the "Do Not Disturb" sign was on, so they left. Next time I wake up in the morning due to a room problem, I'll make sure I've taken the sign off. The person came back about 15 minutes later, and again, could have just said "sorry for the inconvenience" and replaced the battery. I would have taken the smoke detector down myself, but not sure if they're wired a certain way to send a signal to the fire department.

I was also charged $45 for mini bar usage, which was odd as I only had a bag of M&Ms. I called back when I noticed the charge and they looked into it, as those would be some really expensive chocolate covered peanuts. They reversed the charges, and again, did not apologize for their actions. A little "I'm sorry" can go a long way.

The corporate event was about 4 days so each morning we had a breakfast buffet, a banquet one evening, and an outdoor dinner another. The wait staff was very good and I can't complain about the food or the extra stiff drinks the bartenders poured.

I would not stay here again simply because once you're on the property you're limited to what they offer, versus staying closer to the main road and having some flexibility and not having to drive too far.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My family checked into the ultra high end resort and we were glad we did. Whether you have kids or not, young or old, you will love this place. There is always something for the family to do. The beach is great and the kids played all day with activities. The food is awesome at all the restaurants. Golf was great. The rooms are all high end and the rentals are even better. Bring your wallet but it is well worth the price. There is nothing else in the Keys that will give you a felling or amenities like Ocean Reef. We go every year.

Room Tip: Bring a lot of Money
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

The Ocean Reef Club is simply put a wonderful place to visit. It really is a self contained city with everything you need. Some prices can get a little high because its a little off the beaten path but that's ok. The location is tropical - the golf great. The beach and sun amazing. Food that is fulfilling. Just a great place to bring a family or loved on.

• Stayed December 2012
CINCINNATI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I was part of a large corporate group of 75 people. We were assurred free WiFi in our rooms. This was part of the contract we paid for. My room had no WiFi reception at all. I called the front desk. Ocean Reef sent in a repair man with a cheap Radio Shack wireless router unit. OK. But,,they wanted me to put a $500 deposit on my Am Ex Card! I told them no way. This should be their responsibility, not mine. I guess I would have to buy the $50 router unit for $500 if it got broken or lost. I called the front desk and asked to me moved, but was told it would not happen. These people have balls the size of church bells. I advised our CEO NOT to come back here next year. Our group only spent about $60,000 at this resort. No problem for Ocean Reef if they lose that income next year. At least they get to keep their cheap Radio Shack WiFi router! Also, the rooms are circa 1990 and do need up grading. Don't waste your money here. Go to a resort with a real beach. Why spend your money here to stand on rocks at the water's edge.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Ocean Reef Club? Share your experiences!