“Super relaxed "tropical" ambience” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Direct and Save!
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Key Largo
Baltimore, Maryland
“Super relaxed "tropical" ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We've been to Key Largo several times and I like Seafarer the best. We stepped out of our room directly onto the public patio where we could eat or read. None of this stepping out into a hotel hall or parking lot; here we could take the gravel driveway winding among the various cottages down to the private beach with hammocks and beach chairs. Great place to watch the sun set!
The room had a microwave and fridge and wifi. We borrowed beach towels and a hair dryer from the office. The room was spic and span. The staff pointed out several places to visit and recommended restaurants. It's very quiet at night (sign says to observe quiet from 8 p.m. on), but there are tiki torches down by the beach so we enjoyed our drinks near the water.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Porter, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We did not know just what to expect. We made a last minute change of location on took a chance on the Seafarer. Boy, are we glad we did. This is a small property but right on the bay and the owner takes personal pride, even raking the beach and feeding peanuts to the well mannered gray squirrels. Clean is important and we observed the housekeeping staff even paying attention to the tops of window and door frames. We stayed in Redfish Cottage. Looking at the entrance, it appeared to be tiny but on the inside it was adequate. The configuration was different but made good use of the space. There was a full-sized refrigerator and basic service for four, (2 coffee/tea cups) but even two wine glasses! Missing was a table and seating inside. There was a place for two just outside and a grill for one to use, There were tables with umbrellas and picnic tables throughout the beach front and the website photos reflect the almost idyllic and quite pleasant setting. We enjoyed just hanging out reading and enjoying the beach front. We visited Pennekamp State Park and did the Glass Bottom Boat Tour, spent an interesting couple of hours at the Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center, and popped down to Islamorada taking the Indian Key and Lignamvitae Key boat tour. We would certainly not hesitate to return.

Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We booked this place based on TripAdvisor recommendations. We knew it would not be fancy but were still somewhat disappointed, especially since we had stayed at the Bay Harbor Lodge (right next door) previously. First the positives. It has a nice little beach with hammocks and chairs, and kayaks are available. It has a bunch of cabins of varying size depending upon your needs and budget. (Pick ones away from the road if you like quiet.) The cabin was clean. Now for the negatives. Our cabin smelled very strongly of disinfectant so we had to open the door and window to air it out. The air conditioner and the frig were both very noisy. The room was large enough but had too much furniture in it, so it felt cramped and I kept tripping on the clothesrack every time I passed by. I gather that breakfast consisted of fruit and packaged muffins but by the time I got there (only a half hour after it started) all that was left was a package of cookies. The next morning we decided to just walk across the road to the Denny's for breakfast. We really liked the owner and we could see that he was busy working on the place, so my hunch is that the Seafarer will improve with time. It certainly does have potential. For now, though, while the Seafarer was okay, especially given the price, the Bay Harbor Lodge next door was far nicer (updated cabins, a little pool, wonderful scones for breakfast) so if you can spend a bit more money, I'd go there.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Tempe, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This place is way overrated. It is a tiny rundown fifties motel and that doesn't mean quaint. It means you feel like poor folk. To begin with my room was advertised on their website as being a bungalow with an "expansive bay view ". It was a tiny room, not a bungalow, and the only view is of an ugly wooden wall just outside (unLess they're counting the teensiest bathroom window. The room lacked all amenities. It didn't even have a bar of soap, which I didn't discover until the office had closed. I ended up having to buy soap at a nearby filling station. Oh, and their "free" kayaks are only available when the office is open which is scheduled for their convenience, certainly not their guests. Just ugh.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
HenrySeafarer, Owner at Seafarer Resort and Beach, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hi Patricia,
I'm sorry that your expectations were not met. We are a small friends and family run business that takes great pride in providing a superior guest experience. We also take immediate action if we are aware of any mistake even if discovered after the office is closed.

Fortunately, we did see your comments prior to you leaving our property and hope that we were able to make the rest or your stay perfect.

We provide amenities in every unit that includes soap and conditioning shampoo. We also provide a complimentary set up of instant coffee, tea, sugar, equal, and non-dairy cream in rooms that do not have kitchens. Upon request, we have complimentary coffee makers, tea kettles, blenders, hair dryers, iron and ironing board.

The room you reserved is described on our website (by me) as a small bungalow with expansive bay view from the patio. I believe that the description does accurately reflex the room and view considering that your outside seating area is 15 steps to the beach and has an obstructed bay view. With that said, I’m open to feedback.

The kayaks are available during daylight hours. USCG doesn't permit the kayaks to be out after sunset. I hope you understand that we really must adhere to Coast Guard rules as a matter of safety. I’m glad you were able to kayak in the morning and enjoyed your tour.

If I may suggest (to you and the readers), always bring up your concerns immediately and directly. At the Seafarer, we will do all possible to make you comfortable and happy.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I don't often opt to stay in small, independent hotels because I've had so many bad experiences. This place was so refreshing in many ways. I am very picky, if not squeamish, about bugs and dirt. Our little room was perfectly CLEAN and I did not see a single bug.(which is very rare in South Florida) NOTHING FANCY at all but this is what you get for the budget price.(high season -a lot of places are booked full) Room had fridge, microwave, flat screen TV, window unit A/C. Free beach towels and free kayaks. I loved the look and retro vibe of the place and all of the staff were very friendly and helpful. I like to write up places that may or may not stay in business based on the reviews or other factors. Great little spot to stay and hang out or explore the Keys. We ate dinner at 2 restaurants close by: Ballyhoo's (you can walk there) and The Fish House (a few miles north) were fantastic.

Room Tip: There are different sizes and features - check web site for details.
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great place! The rooms are basic but you get everything you need. More importantly, the staff is super friendly and you can always ask if you need something extra. We kayaked, barbecued, and relaxed on the beach. It was perfect for a weekend getaway and felt really secluded for the evermore crowded keys.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

White Plains, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a really nice place. The cabins are very nicely furnished and provisioned. There is a small, private beach with free kayaks and rental SUP paddleboards. There are BBQs, hammocks, and chairs. We had been SUP paddleboarding two days prior so one of our kids wanted to do that again.

We tried the kayaking. We went around to the left (as you look at the water), around a small peninsula where we found cassiopea jellyfish (the same kind we had seen on our previous SUP experience and that you can handle). The only downside is that the kayaks have holes in them that let water in (soaking your backside) but they still float. I've never seen such a design before and can't say that I liked that aspect.

The only problem with our cabin is that there seemed to be mold in the air conditioning unit. I'm very allergic to mold so had problems with my allergies and asthma during that segment of our vacation. But, it wasn't just me because my husband also reacted to it. This brought our review from a 4 to a 3.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback.

The kayaks are "sit on top" and have scupper holes that let water out should any water get it. Very common.

I'm not familiar with the AC issues especially since we have been in the process of replacing many units. If you would be so kind to email me directly with more details (date and room) so that we can take appropriate action.

Been to Seafarer Resort and Beach? Share your experiences!