“Great fish and key lime pie” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 103 Restaurants in Key Largo
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great fish and key lime pie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Came here for dinner with my wife and two kids. Had the mahi mahi and hogfish (which was available during our visit), both Matecombe style, which was delicious. Definitely try the key lime pie! My daughter (usually more the chocolate lover) absolutely loved this pie, and we ended up ordering extra slices to take with us.

West Palm Beach, Florida
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Ate here Saturday night. place was jumping! We were told 20-25 minute wait. Sat outside and in 15 minutes we were called ! Place was busy. We were a party of 5 and all of our food was great... Had a Fresh Mahi dish, A Wahoo dish with tomatoes and capers. Kids fried Shrimp, Fried Combo platter and a Jerk Grouper Caeser. All fish was VERY fresh and excellent. Only disapointments were conch fritter appiteizers but all else was a home run including the Key Lime Pie we took home.

Fish was so good we went back next day and bought Stone Crabs and Shrimp to take back to your friends camp site. Excellent as well.

Service was good for a place so busy wish I could remember the names but the gentleman who was working with our waitress was great.

Great experience and some of the freshest fish I ever had

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Best Mahi Mahi Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Several of the locals recommended this place for seafood, and they were not kidding. Some of the best, freshest, most expertly prepared fish I've ever eaten. First of all, you've got to love a place that caters to everyone from snowbirds in dinner jackets to vacationing divers in tank tops! Fish House has two side-by-side locations and I went in to the Encore, which has a kind of piano bar feature, although it is one of those self-playing things and not live entertainment. Nice sitting area in the piano bar lounge, or you can have dinner at the bar, or you can sit in the "fancy dining room", or you can go out back to the screened-in patio. For an appetizer I had a Captain's Crunch Roll sushi of crispy fried ono, and for my main I enjoyed the single best piece of mahi mahi that I've ever consumed. The mahi was a huge slice of fresh caught, served up "Hemingway" style, lightly breaded and doused with a basil cream sauce. There is always a variety of fresh catch, prepared in a variety of styles, with pretty much whatever side dishes you want.

The bartender, Josh, was amazing - talented, quick, attentive, knowledgeable . . . and there were several good beers (alas, nothing on tap) to choose from. Treat yourself to a 12 year old El Dorado Rum on the rocks, Sweet!

The Woodlands, Texas
“Disappointed!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We used to live for ten years in south Florida back in the early 90s, so we were pretty familiar with the keys and would go down from time to time to have a grouper sandwich in Key Largo. So my wife and I were returning to the keys after a good fifteen years and were all excited about having a juicy grouper sandwich in Key Largo again. So I looked up on the internet and found that Fish House was highly recommended for it. So we stopped there for lunch and found the place to be not quite what it is written up to be. First of all, it is along the highway in a gravel lot with no view. Granted that the place has been there for fifty years or so, one could overlook the location.

Still wanting to enjoy a grouper sandwich, we both ordered one. The sandwich came and looked very appetizing. Once I took a bite of the sandwich, I realized that I was not having a grouper sandwich. The fish in the sandwich was some other fish, possibly a Mahi mahi. Not being a 100 percent sure, we just ate it and left.

On our way back from Key West several days later, we found another place (Snapper's) which I will review separately. We had the most amazing fish sandwich there and also learned that grouper is out of season, so anyone selling a grouper sandwich is either selling frozen fish or another type of fish. As they say, nothing like an educated buyer!!!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
FishHouseandEncore, Manager at Fish House, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
We are disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience. We do, however, feel that it is appropriate to point out that while the Atlantic grouper season is entirely closed, we obtain our grouper fresh from Gulf Coast fishermen who operate under a quota system from the State of Florida. Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion.
Upstate N.Y.
“Almost worth missing your connecting flight to Key West”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

The Black and Blue preparation of fresh fish on a hot metallic platter is outstanding. I do suggest ordering the beans/rice option rather than the corn on the cob because the corn I recd was boring, boiled, and abandoned rather than roasted. The cole slaw was very good. Service was via team, very efficient. Always water in the glass, always coffee topped off, never an empty plate lingering on the table. This place is extremely busy, but we never felt rushed.

Having to rent a car to get to Key West rather than flying the last leg was ragged, but being able to stop here for dinner {almost} made up for the long, long drive.