“Beat my expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #44 of 110 Restaurants in Key Largo
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night
Rockford, Michigan
“Beat my expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Read in several places (not just on these forums) that this has the best conch fritters in the Keys. So we stopped here on our way to our 2 week Keys vacation and had our first ever batch of conch. We loved it and for the rest of our trip we had conch almost every day. However the best by far was the conch at Alabama Jacks.
The atmosphere is pure Keys...open air seating, plastic chairs and tables, and a view of mangroves. Add in the live music and it was a perfect atmosphere!
I highly recommend this place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Punta Gorda, Florida
“If you like greasy food . . .”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

With so many reviews (mostly 2012) we went out of our way to find Card Sound on the way back from Key West to Ft. Myers. As other recent reviewers stated, the restaurant was dirty (skip the bathrooms too) and someone needs to pay more attention to the quality of food. We too ordered (@ $7.50) "the best conch fritters in the Florida Keys" and they were awful. Greasy, split open, grossly overcooked and tough as could be. The conch we did find was like rubber! I had the coconut shrimp, my husband's was plain. Asked if this was fresh shrimp prepared on site and told yes. Don't think so! Looked and tasted like frozen, assembly line, out of the box. I wish I could attribute the poor quality coming out of the kitchen to being extremely busy, but that was not our case. We came in after the lunch "rush." Our waitress was sensational; however, the cooks might do better with a lesson in getting rid of old grease and a better way to fry the sweetened stuffing mix so it doesn't look like it hit the floor first!

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Mountain Grove, Missouri
“good food - outdoor eatery”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

traveled from key west back to fort lauderdale and stopped by here for a late lunch. The place is kinda dirty but the atomosphere and food were good. 7 of us were on the trip and all tried different lunches. Everything was good and the prices were cheap.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Don't bother stopping!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I've lived in the keys for 3 years and went there today for the first time. I had conch fritters that came out as a fried scrambled mess and one onion ring and have felt very sick ever since. This place is so dirty it should not be allowed to be in buisness!!!! Do your self a favor keep driving !!!!!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Anchorage, Alaska
“Great location, great bar, not so great food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Alabama Jack's is certainly a great bar in a great location. It really is a bar with food, as opposed to a restaurant. As a restaurant, it left something to be desired. To be fair, it was crowded even though it was mid-afternoon on a weekday. There was a retirement party, or something, going on. My wife and I order a glass of wine, which came in a wide mouth plastic bottle designed to drink from. It was OK for the price, but not a great glass of wine. Expecting "the best conch fritters in the Florida Keys" I ordered the conch fritter plate, which came with a choice of two side dishes. My conch fritters were seriously over cooked and there wasn't much conch meat in them. The two side dishes were cold salads and both were good. My wife ordered the conch salad and the peel and eat shrimp. Both these dishes were very good. The conch salad and the side dishes all came in little palstic tubs with lids. Still being a little hungry, we ordered some onion rings. Like the conch fritters, these were over cooked and greasy, though not nearly as overcooked as the fritters were. So, the items that had to be cooked were not well prepared; the items that were not cooked (conch sald, cold slaw, etc) were good. It is hard to mess up boiled shrimp. The service was very good and I am willing to attribute the poor food items to how busy it was. I would try it again for food and I definitely would stop for a beer.

• Visited March 2013