“No She Crab Soup” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Fusion
Rochester, MN
“No She Crab Soup”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I absolutely adore she crab soup. On another members suggestion ,that is the only reason I went to the American Legion. It was very difficult to find but find it we did. When we walked in the door we were told that Chef Todd had been gone for 2 to 3 weeks now and there was no more she crab soup. Waahh!! Bartender Melanie was more than helpful though. She suggested a shrimp poor boy and the pulled barbecue pork sandwich. Both were excellent. There is a hog roast to commemorate the new building they moved into recently. Pig party starts 4 PM on Saturday, March 29 ,about $10 a person.

Miami
“She Crab Bisque, Fish Serrano...At The Legion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

For those in the know, Chef Todd (formerly of Calypso) is in the kitchen creating magic in the form of fresh seafood. They are not on the water, but they do have a very Keys-ee atmosphere with lights in the trees that cover the outside patio area complete with buoys hanging from the tree limbs. I had a fish dish that wasn't even on the menu but I saw it at the next table, a fresh fish (mahi) in a spicy sauce with tomatoes and creamy goodness). Chef Todd made it for me without hesitation. Nachos were enough to feed the entire family. The tuna tacos will leave you begging for more, two to an order for $10 and you'll be stuffed. So good, dripping with slaw and a special sauce. You can bring your own catch here too, and he'll cook it for you. The soups are amazing - try the she crab if they offer it when you're there. We had shrimp tortilla soup Friday night and it was bowl-licking delicious. Thick, creamy, spicy, loaded with shrimp. The only complaint I'd have is that they allow smoking so watch who you sit by.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Louisville, Kentucky
“Todd is the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

catch a bunch of fish & don't wanna cook?? take it here to Todd & let him work his magic!! I promise you will not be disappointed!!!!

Visited July 2013
Key Largo, Florida
“Hidden Gem in Key Largo - Great Value Bar & Food in the Keys-style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

From the name of it, the American Legion may not jump out as a "place of interest" for you, but wait!! It really IS. You get ALOT of things here that you don't find anywhere else, in the keys or all of south Florida for that matter...like a GREAT KEYSEY ATMOSPHERE, EXCELLENT FOOD & FRIENDLY SERVICE.

First of all, they are located in 'downtown Key Largo' - yes it really is called that, with all of one traffic light - across from the Key Largo Marina and placed in a shady 'hammock' setting with outdoor-under-trees or patio seating as well as an indoor, small bar full of local characters. (Go on a pretty day and sit outside but wear or carry mosquito spray just in case!)

Secondly, but most importantly, AWESOME FOOD prepared by Todd the chef (former owner of Calypsos which is sorely missed!). He is an inspired artist who gladly makes it the way you want it - he cares that you are pleased and fulfilled. (I told him I was doing low-carb and he was very easy about accommodating me). He is FAMOUS for his SHE-CRAB SOUP which you MUST TRY. I know people who go there just for that. Also, he makes a really divine FRIED FISH SANDWICH - best I've ever had. I believe he pays attention to every ingredient which is what transforms mear food into cuisine. We went July 4th for their BBQ celebration and it was the best plate of ribs and chicken we've had here in the keys - bar none. (Skip Porky's & go here for the real thing.)

Third, the staff is comprised of really great people - all nice, real, friendly - just awesome. And if you've been here awhile you know how hard that is to find. We were a little apprehensive about coming here since neither me or hubby are veterans. But since its just down the street from us, thought we'd check it out. They didn't care and we were completely comfortable - they treated us like one of them and were, it seemed, damn glad to have us!

Fourth, great prices! You can feel gouged so often here in the keys that you think you're going to spring a leak sometimes. This place will be easy on your wallet and make you happy with a full belly.

Fifth, interesting characters. You'll see many local regulars who can be entertaining if you like people-watching. At the July4th BBQ, we got to talk with a paratrooper who has jumped all over the world and was very happy to share some of his experiences with us - that was an amazing conversation. Of course, I'm sure, many veterans have a lot of stories to be heard and since this is sort of "their" hangout, you are sure to have a chance to meet some of them and talk, if you are so inclined.

We really like this cool little dive of a place for all the reasons you want to go out to eat. Of course NO DRESS CODE! Casual is the keys and especially here. And we've seen bands playing here many times so they definitely party down often if that's what you're looking for.

An all-round perfect Keys experience for breakfast lunch or dinner!

• Visited July 2013