“Fresh fish, a bit pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Charleston, South Carolina
“Fresh fish, a bit pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

4 people, 4 different catches of the day, all delicious. But the portions were HUGE for us. We could have easily split 2 or 3 entrees. The Metacumbe, Florentine, Black & Bleu and Flagler are all great choices and the snapper and grouper were indeed fresh and prepared very well. Service was good but not great. This is a nice place to go in the Keys for great local fish. I'd go back!

Visited April 2013

florida
“FANTASTIC!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Lived here in the keys 3 years...always wanted to go...so date night ...we went...outstanding service!thanks to Joshua.. The best oysters Rockefeller I have had in years...my husband ordered the crowned rack of lamb...the best he ever had...warm and cozy place...a true find...great wine list ...I had the grouper...cooked perfect!!! Fantastic menu. I can't wait to go back and try the sushi!!! A must try for locals and visitors alike....do not judge by the outside...you will be amazed by the menu.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Germantown Maryland
“Slightly upscale fish house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

After going to the Fish House next door we decided to try Encore. Again because of the menu and that we were looking for fresh fish not fried. The outside looks a bit dumpy but as you enter the facility it is definitely upscale from the fish house. There is a nice outside dining area but we decided to stay indoors as we had enough sun for the day. The staff was professional and friendly and again because it was off season we were seated immediately. We ordered our appitizers and meal which was again delivered in a timely manner with a great presentation. My ordered the Conch Fritters and I ordered Scallops Santa Fe. The fritters were done perfectly, plenty of meat with a little filler, fried to perfection. The Scallops Santa Fe came out with a great presentation. I was not sure how it would work but work it did. The large Sea Scallops come bedded on a piece of Andouille Sausage resting on a toast point. There is a dab of mixture made with Pumpkin Seed, Pine Nuts and Chipotle Pepper drizzled with Cilantro Oil. Very rich, very good and very filling. This could definitely be shared!

Our dinner was crab cakes for my wife, two large cakes full of lump meat and very little filler. These would make any Maryland Crab Cake maker jealous. It was accompanied by fresh vegetables and a Key Lime Rice that was delicious. My dinner was Yellow Tail done Encore Style. This is a well presented fish covered with panko bread crumbs and various vegetables. Again the entire plate was covered with the fish, a generous portion of fresh fish done perfectly. This was again accompanied by fresh vegetables and Key Lime Rice. Perfect. Again I wanted Key Lime pie but there is was no room! My only Regret.

The Encore is an upscale fish house with some different offerings. The atmosphere is great, service is great and the price is reasonable for what we had. I highly recommend both the Encore and Fish House if you are in Key Largo.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bostonian turned Floridian
“Good food, decent atmosphere, some items pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We chose this restaurant because we wanted good seafood. We got it. There is lots to choose from. If you get fish, they have a list of different ways they prepare it. Quite creative and tasty. Their potato side dish changes nightly. That night the side was sweet potato mash or rice pilaf. They serve bread with the meal. We sat outside. We liked the natural/live vegetation, but didn't care for the fenced in areas that had plastic covering with decoration made to look like vegetation. The outdoor patio has a fountain in the center which was nice and umbrellas were over each table, forming a canopy of sorts. We were disappointed with the price of the stone crab - high - so didn't order that. The rest of our meal was priced okay. Our waitress was rushed with us - seemingly they oversat her tables. I would have preferred less rush so we had a more relaxing meal and attention we saw given other guests. We would eat here again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Flushing
“Memorable Dining!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

First of all, Trip Advisor, take that misleading picture off the site. That is the Encore in Las Vegas, not the cute little homey restaurant on Overseas Highway in the Florida Keys! It is so unassuming on the outside that we were surprised to see the lovely interior with dim lighting, a player piano and beautiful decor. We chose to sit outside and my only complaint was that the old plastic tables and chairs could either use an update or perhaps a tablecloth to cover the table instead of the paper placemats. Perhaps that is the look they are trying to achieve. We were fortunate to have Shantel as our waitress because she was very helpful without being overly attentive. I started with an infused pineapple vodka martini which was delicious and potent, especially the large piece of infused pineapple that garnished the glass. Could only handle one of those. My husband was happy that the restaurant carried non alcohol beer, which is often difficult to find. I started with a salad which was made with the freshest ingredients and a half of a tomato. Tasty blue chees dressing. The hot rolls were delicious. We both had fish prepared matecumbe style which was with tomatoes, capers, onions and lemon juice. I had mahi mahi and he had yellowtail snapper. They were both excellent as were the fresh vegetables and red potatoes that accompanied it. We had no room for dessert but it looked like a fabulous dessert menu. We went next door to The Fish House, the original restaurant, to check it out and it seemed to have a similar menu with more fried options. Can't wait to return to Key Largo and to revisit this great restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere