Let’s be absolutely clear here, this is not a hotel or a resort, it is privately owned condominiums that some owners have elected to rent out to the vacationing public. There is no front desk, no concierge, no maid service and no room service. You are renting someone’s home and therefore it becomes your home during your stay. Like most better condominiums there is a pool (as a matter of fact there are two, one which replicates a beach, because there is NO BEACH and the other more traditional), two hot tubs and a reasonably well equipped fitness room, although the cardio equipment is more home use equipment than health club equipment. We rented Unit 712, a massive 3 bedroom unit with 3 ½ bathrooms, two kitchens, 2 king sized beds and one queen and two pull out couches. There were 5 of us so we did not use the pull outs so I can’t comment on them. The bed mattresses were a little soft for my liking and the king sized beds were very tall. This could be problematic for anyone who is even slightly mobility impaired. I have arthritis in my knees and used a foot stool to climb into bed. As each unit is individually owned you can’t be sure that what I describe will be replicated in another unit, but I would think that they would all be similarly equipped. The main kitchen had a full sized stove, side by side fridge with ice dispenser, dishwasher and microwave. The downstairs unit had a cook top, smaller fridge and microwave. Our unit had 5 flat screen TVs, full cable TV and wireless Wi-Fi. The accommodation would be perfect for families or two or three couples travelling together.
On the downside there is NO BEACH. This truly surprised us as who would have thought that someone would build a resort condominium with no beach. It turns out that beaches are not the norm in the Keys and most are manmade. We went to 2 public beaches, one in Key West and the other John Pennecamp State Park. Neither was large by Caribbean Island, Mexican or Californian standards and I strongly recommend water shoes as there is lots of coral and limestone. We tried for a third, Harry Harris State Park, but the beach was closed to swimmers because of a high bacteria count. Also we were surprised to learn that there is no quaint touristy village of Key Largo. To get anywhere you must drive and there is not much to drive to. The only thing within walking distance of the property was Shell World. The nearest grocery store is about 5 miles away and the nearest restaurant about 2 miles.
Our unit had no view of the ocean nor did it have a patio area, shade or a barbecue. It is right beside the tennis courts. If possible try for a unit in the 4 block as they have the best view.
Access to the property is through a gate that is staffed 24/7 accept when the security guard is on rounds, which seemed to be each night when we returned to the property. At one point at about 6:00 pm on the Friday evening there were 6 vehicles lined up awaiting access. There are definitely some things they could do better but still for a huge place with room for a large family this place is pretty good.
- Also Known As:
- Mariner`s Resort Villas & Marina Hotel
- Mariner`s Resort Villas And Marina
- Mariner`s Resort Villas & Marina Hotel Key Largo
- Mariners Hotel Key Largo
- Mariners Club Key Largo
- Mariners Hotel Marina
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mariner's Resort Villas & Marina is a gated oceanfront resort featuring luxurious villas that surround a stunning marina with direct access to the Atlantic Ocean. The Resort offers 2 swimming pools, resort activities, tennis courts, a calming Jacuzzi grotto and Adventure Concierge to arrange activities including diving, boating and. Mandalay Bay Restaurant offers extraordinary dining on local, fresh cuisine. Enjoy a vacation experience as unique and relaxing as the resort's island location. Relax and Enjoy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Venere, Fareportal and Otel so you can book your Mariner's Resort Villas & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.