“Did the job” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Amoray Dive Resort

Save Saved
You added Amoray Dive Resort to your Saves list
Amoray Dive Resort
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   104250 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037   |
Ranked #9 of 19 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Naples, Florida, United States
“Did the job”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We were looking for a place to go snorkeling with some friends. They looked on the web and found this place for about 150 a night. the snorkeling was very reasonable and a great time. we would go again for a quick trip.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

271 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I just read the review by Aek429... I think they are right on the money, except for the fact that he rated it good. The place was terrible.

The rooms are small and quite dated. The beds sagged and not comfortable. The kitchen was tiny and barely usable. The good news is that it was kept clean. The dive boat with Captain Mike was reasonably well run. I can't say the same about the "Justin Time" dive boat. Smoking on a dive boat by staff should be outlawed, instead there is an ashtray on the boat doc filled with disgusting cigarette butts.

Yelling at staff in front of customers? Really?

The front desk was very nice, but had zero knowledge of what was going on on the dive boats and were unable to help.

Night dives were a joke. Cyalume sticks were required, even though they are known to pollute. When I said I didn't want one on my tank, that I had sufficient lights (3) and experience (over 2000 dives) to handle being on a shallow twilight dive, they stuck one on the tank anyway in the name of safety.

Speaking of safety, taking newbie divers inside wrecks, when they are guzzling air, throwing up on the boat, and had just received their open water certifications was not my idea of safety.

Rental gear was poorly maintained and had to be swapped out for operational gear on several occassions. When people in my party rented flashlights for the night dive, staff had to check 10 different flashlights to find one with a charged battery. Unable to find one, they offered a underpowered penlight flashlight saying this was all they had.

poor gear, poor room, poor dive boat. What else is left?

Would I stay here again? Not if it was the last dive resort on earth.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Spent 5 days here and had a wonderful time. Staff is friendly and helpful. Small apt. was perfect for the four of us. Capt. Mike, Opus, Travis, and Nick are the best. They truly care about their divers and go out of their way to make us feel welcome, safe, and make sure we have fun. My youngest did the Discover Scuba class with Opus and was able to dive with us along with Opus and Nick. They did a great job and my son loved it. He wants to go back so badly. Seriously though, the dive crew is one of the best I've seen and I've dove all along the east coast. The grounds are nicely kept. Parking can be an issue sometimes but it all worked out. I can not wait until we can go back and dive with Capt. Mike and his crew again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We've stayed here twice and each time we just love it. It's not the nicest place, it could use some re vamping. The Tiki huts need new roofs BUT we always stay in the suites and we just love them. The rooms are nothing fancy but we love the kitchenette areas, the rooms are clean and we LOVE the hammock on our porch. The senery is beautiful as well, It's so relaxing. We've done some kayaking and that was fun too. The beds aren't super soft but we slept well. The place is just very quaint and the staff is very friendly. I like that it's quiet, it's peaceful and both times we went we were completely satisfied. We'll be back again for sure. I highly recommend staying there. You'll be happy you did.

Room Tip: Go for the suites! So worth the money.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Amoray Dive Resort is a class act. My husband and I just finished a Memorial Day 3 night stay, and I can't say enough nice things about the place and the staff.

To begin, I booked this hotel last minute on expedia to do a quick dive trip. So, my review really covers both the hotel and the place as an actual dive resort.

We have not been to Key Largo since 2010. That time, we stayed at Marina Del Mar and dive with Ocean Divers. It was nice, but this place blew them away in amenities, customer service and plain old-fashioned Keys ambiance and coolness!!

To give an example: an hour after I booked, Ilja from the hotel called me. She is awesome! So nice and helpful! She upgraded my room to a waterfront room. She also explained procedures for late night check in since my plane was not arriving in Miami until 9pm.

The drive from MIA was fine. The only thing was that my husband and I decided to be cheap and not buy a SunPass for the tollways. I would rethink this next time maybe. We were able to find US 1 pretty easily and it maybe added 15 minutes to our trip so... It was not so bad, but a word to the wise.

Upon getting to the hotel, it is very picturesque and quaint. There is a 2 story Victorian house that has the dive shop / reception on the ground floor and rod upstairs. There are more rooms to the back of the resort where there is a dock for the dive boat and a pool with a man-made beach and beach chairs. There are a few nice BBQ grills for cooking out.

As a note, it is important to keep in mind that the Keys are not 5 star mega resorts. Instead, it is that Jimmy Buffett - Margaritaville - Floridian Casual.

So, with that in mind, the room was great! It is in a little cabin right on the water, next to the swimming pool and looking out at a small beach and dock. (The cabin had 4 rooms, two facing the water and 2 facing the front of the resort). There was a big porch with a full hammock and a 4 person outdoor table. 2 fans kept the porch cool. It was awesome with a great view!!!

The room itself was big. There was a queen and a twin with trundle. It was just my husband and me, but the place would be great for a family.

The floor is tile and it was really clean!!! Now, sometimes On tripadvisor, I see photos and complaints of cracks in the tile, etc. I did not see any, but the fixtures are probably from the 1980s. With that said, they worked and it is the Florida Keys, not the Bellagio. The hot water was great, actually. Also, the maid service was really good. We went diving both days, so it was done by noon when we got back.

There is no restaurant at the hotel but plenty nearby. With the mini fridge in the room, you can also stop and get snacks. We did, since we were getting in so late and up on the dive boat at 8.30am. That was another nice thing Ilja mentioned.

The diving was great. I will make another review, but Captain Mike, Travis and Opus were wonderful. They were very concerned with safety but still made things fun. The boat was big but very clean and well maintained! If you are a diver, this place is definitely worth staying at and non divers coming with would have a great time.

Finally, checkout was easy!

All in all, I give it 5 stars and would definitely come back.

• Stayed May 2014
Prescott, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I stayed at Amoray for 5 nights and did 4 days of diving. For a diver, it can't get much better. I had a single room, ground floor, right next to the dive boat. The room was very clean, the bed was old and saggy, the TV old (not flat screen) but it worked. The walls are very thin, I could hear the conversation in the adjoining room. They advertise WIFI but it doesn't work in the rooms because they are constructed of concrete (as I was told by the people in the office) It works fine if you sit outside your room or by the pool, just be ready to be attacked by bugs. There are plenty of towels each day, bathroom fixtures are ultra water-conserving. The dive boat is very well-maintained and Capt. Mike and the crew are very friendly and safety-conscious. I asked for extra help getting back in the boat at the end of the dives and they were extremely accommodating. They load and unload the tanks, you are expected to set up your own gear and change out your tanks between dives, but they also helped me a couple of times with my equipment, all I had to do was ask. On 3 of the 4 trips we had 4--12 divers, plus a few snorkelers so there was lots of room (on the 4 diver trip we took their 6 pack boat. It was a little tight but they have a good system that minimizes discomfort). But one morning we had a completely full boat, over 40 people, because a neighboring resort's boat had broken down and we took on their customers. I understand it was just something that happens but it wasn't pleasant. So be aware that their boat can hold a lot of divers and you may find yourself in a big group, depending on circumstances. Bottom line: the convenience of the diving being on property and the boat and crew made up for the deficiencies in the accommodations, with the exception of the bed. Honestly, it could be a deal-breaker for me. Maybe other units are better. I stayed in "Starfish".

Room Tip: Be aware, some rooms require climbing stairs.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

My family of 5 stayed here for 2 nights in one of the two story apartments they have. When we booked the reservation online we had to call and change the date, moving it up a day. When we got to checkin, the change had not been made in the computers. Luckily the room/apartment we wanted was available.

The rooms were clean, not too fancy and you could tell the buildings were older. Overall we were very happy with our stay here and definitely recommend this resort. The staff was very accommodating and friendly.

Stayed June 2014

Been to Amoray Dive Resort? Share your experiences!