“BIG disappointment and dangerous crew” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Amoray Dive Resort

Save Saved
You added Amoray Dive Resort to your Saves list
Amoray Dive Resort
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   104250 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037   |
Ranked #7 of 19 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“BIG disappointment and dangerous crew”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We went to Amy Slate's Amoray dive resort in Key Largo with some dive buddies but found this place to be a BIG disappointment. The front office staff (particularly Cindy) were rude and dismissive and the Captain of our SCUBA outings ("Rick?") was unprofessional and just plain dangerous with the divers. (The "Captain" actually made derogatory comments about two female divers who were not on the boat as he let them swim back to the boat, against current, from quite a distance just because they got separated due to poor navigation.) The Captain made multiple comments about other fares that he wanted to pick up while we were on his boat! Crazy, money-driven operation. Also, the female "crew" member that went out with us was rude as well. The bikini she wore was over-the-top and you could actually see parts of her uh, front area that should be covered in public.

The room was gawdy and the TV so small that it's difficult to see from the bed. The fridge froze everything we put into it. Poor quality bed, sheets and pillows. We can not recommend this dive resort. PADI should revisit this site anonymously.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the busy highway.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

247 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Nice place to book a dive trip. Good equipment,I didn't stayed there. they have a nice pool area and a dive shop as well. Captains are very professional, but I'd like that the rest of the crew would be more focused in safety and procedures once they have divers in the water. The dive places are good, plenty of fish and things to see. No complementary and/or for sale drinks-snacks on board. I don't think this is as good as I was told about it

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Aventura, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I was not happy for not planning ahead and staying instead at the Kona Kai Resort for a little extra money. We did not book a hotel room to stay in Key Largo since the weather for the Memorial Day Weekend was questionable. This was a big mistake. There was a two (2) night minimum for the weekend. We were told we could have the apartment for $179 for Saturday and $199 for Sunday night. I was told after inspecting the room there were five (5) other people that called for the room. I am not sure anyone else would take it for 2 nights had they seen the room in person. What a mistake to stay in a two (2) star resort with coachroaches. I killed two (2) and a rusty show curtain rod. The twin size bed was not comfortable. My feeling after reading the other reviews is that they were just looking for someone to take the two (2) night and felt they could "price gough" the customers over a holiday weekend. The prices was highly elevated for something that was normally $79 to $99 per night.

Room Tip: Inspecting the rooms beforehand
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I was referred to Amoray Dive Resort by the Key Largo Chamber of Commerce, but cannot recommend it. The rooms are tired, old, in "fair" condition at best. Note: this is NOT a bed and breakfast. No food onsite, (although coffee maker in the room). Bugs in the room. The refrigerator froze everything even though it was set on "medium." The AC blasted an undulating roar of noise that kept me up at night...but if I turned it off, the traffic noise was bothersome. bed just fair, horrible cheap pillows, sheets rather threadbare and rough as were the bath towels. The toilet almost overflowed at midnight, so I left #2 in the bowl and did not flush it again. At least the water in the shower was hot and adequate flow. Office staff, unfortunately, were rude, bordering on surly. I was told by the boat captain that the snorkeling would be terrible and to cancel my reservation. However, the office staff said I would be charged for it, since I had not given 24 hrs notice on canceling. When I decided to go out on the boat anyway, the captain said they were going to a scuba only spot, not a snorkel spot and he did not want to take me. WIth his help, I got the money refunded, but with a snarl from one the front desk staff. I asked for a different room for the 2nd night reservation, with a key given most reluctantly. but it did not look any better than the first one. I decided to go elsewhere so I could get a decent night's sleep, and they charged full price for the room because they evidently have a 72 hr cancellation. I would be more forgiving on this review if they had offered me half price back on an unused room....but this place is not very "amore". I recommend that you go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go to the Hilton instead, like I did!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Chevy Chase, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

I visited the Amoray Dive Resort as part of a group that is diving in Key Largo. I had no say in where we stayed since the logistics were arranged by our dive shop. But one quick look at the Amoray and I realized I was not going to be happy with the lodging. I would only call this place a "resort" if I were to be comparing it to alternatives after a hurricane swept through the area. It should be more properly known as a Dive Dump. The beds suck and I wake up each morning with a stiff neck. The sheets are thin and worn and the bath towels are so rough that if you have any sun burn at all it hurts to dry your body. They server NO FOOD at all--not even coffee in the morning although they do give you a coffee pot in the room. The washing machine and dryer are broken so you can't do laundry here. There are all kinds of tiny bugs that seem to want to inhabit the bathroom. My bathroom had some tiles replaced on the floor near the tub and they got adhesive all over the top of the tiles and they just left it there--for years--so it looks like creepy crud all over the floor. I would never stay here again and would not recommend this place to anyone. Granted, there do not appear to be a lot of great hotels on Key Largo. The Marriott is the old Key Largo Resort that was taken over by Marriott so they slapped a Marriott sign on the front. It too looks like a C quality place. You just have to put all that behind you if you want to dive here. I doubt if I will return to Key Largo for diving since the overall experience pretty much sucks. I figure that the people who write good things about this place must normally stay at Motel 6 so the Amoray seems great. To me, it is 5 levels below even Hampton Inns.

Room Tip: Best suggest to choose a good room is to choose a different place.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

We stayed there two nights. First was in a suite (No. 1B) very spacious and well fournished, with sea view. The second night we stayed in a smaller room facing the parking and we had ants in the bathroom. The room wasn't so nice and a bit old. The staff is excellent, they give you many advice and will arrange for you additional excursions and diving with other companies. They also advice on local attractions and verry good restaurants. If you do not want to pay huge money in Key West it is a good option for a night (1,5 hour of drive to Key West).

Room Tip: We loved the suite 1B, facing the harbour, it is however arround 180 USD with tax per night.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Petersburg, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I've stayed at Amoray dive resort at least five time over the past ten years or so and have gone on two excursions with their dive team. The rates are low, the rooms are clean and the falling coconuts are truly dangerous. Heed the signs!

When we stay there, we usually stay in one of the smaller rooms. The amenities are pretty basic and the decor is done in the normal Keys style - violently bright decor splashed with sunsets and flowers - but I guess that's to be expected. One of the nicest things about the resort is that it's tailored specifically for divers. The excursions leave from their dock, there are multiple places to clean/store equipment and the rooms have tiled floors so there's no carpet to destroy.

Whenever we go to Key West, we always stop on the way at Amoray. Key Largo is one of the best Keys.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Amoray Dive Resort? Share your experiences!