“AMAZING” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn & Suites

You added Rodeway Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99202 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037 (Formerly Key Largo Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Key Largo
Elmira, New York
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

this place was amazing, the rooms were gigantic, there is an upstairs and a downstairs, there was a full kitchen and 2 bathrooms, and a living room, TV's in he bedroom and the living room. It has a screened in back porch with a view of the water and Sharkey's bar across the water, free parking included, by far the biggest place that I've ever booked for under 100 dollars. In addition, they offer complimentary breakfast and coffee but our stay was so nice we slept through the complimentary breakfast and were only able to try the coffee on our way out, which was like the rest of the stay, incredible. We will stay here from now on when we are visiting the Key Largo area or any of the surroundings

Room Tip: all of the rooms are excellent but ask if you can have 1 with a view of Sharkey's bar
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cape Coral, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Inexpensive, good location mid island, totally non-smoking property. Great for us as we were off diving all day, and needed a clean place to shower and sleep. A simple continental breakfast of juice, coffee, big muffins and fruit was included in the room rate. This is an older hotel, it's not a fancy place. If you want more of a resort atmosphere, this may not be the place for you. There is a nice pool with lounge chairs if you'd like a dip to cool off. Although the property is close to the road, the road noise was not a problem for us (ask for a room towards the back away from the road). A/C was very good, the beds were comfy and we had lots of hot water for a great shower. Office staff was very friendly and helpful!! I'd stay here again when I want an inexpensive place to stay for my dive trip.

Room Tip: This is an L shaped building with the longer side parallel to the street. It is also a 2 story buil...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Winter Haven, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Not a bad hotel. We stayed here for a weekend and it was quiet and clean. The gentleman that checked us in was not terribly friendly but did try to help us out with recommendations on places to go. It was just an average hotel and the location leaves you feeling...well not on an island. If your just stopping on your way to Key West I would say its worth the savings. But if your staying the whole weekend in Key Largo then spend the extra bucks and go to one of the many resorts.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is a nice clean place. The rooms were comfortable and AC worked great. The owner's were very kind and helpful. The swimming pool was well kept. It's in a great location right off the highway. The wireless internet was quick and free. I was able to do some work from the room which was great.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Let me first start off with the hotels many boiler plate responses to any complaint. We'll get that out of the way.

Our facilities provide our guests with clean, quiet and comfortable accommodations including modern amenities in a safe, secure and economical fashion. Our rooms have new, quiet ac units, electronic door locks and satellite TV service. Our draperies and spreads are light pastel in color and are not sun faded as reported. We purposely dispense ice from our lobby to ensure cleanliness and to prevent outside noise. Similarly, we limit check in time to 11 pm to ensure our retiring guests are not disturbed. We are a strict smoke free environment and require our guests to comply for the overall comfort of all guests We provide friendly hospitality to our guests at all times and insist on proper behavior for the benefit of all our guests. If a guest chooses to not honor our no smoking policy or is unruly, occasionally we must be frank and insist on compliance. Our buildings are perfectly safe and sound and any "soft spots" are either our thick carpet padding, soft bath mats or rubber bath tub mats. We have 24 hour front desk staff on duty to ensure all our guests are properly cared for.

Best part of this hotel was the non smoking big plus.

Providing you don't mind rude slow management (Michael is the manager) , bed bugs, molded warped carpet, rotted beans (painted however with spotless white fresh paint), worn linens I wouldn't even lay my dirty clothes on, an extra $22.50 fee per person, termite droppings.

At least you wont be coughing from second hand smoke as you struggle to scratch all of your body parts that are itching when you leave the room.

And that is precisely what we did

Seriously, avoid avoid avoid ..Tavernier Inn is very cute, and less $$. And a great gym across the street for $12 drop ins.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without bedbugs and termite droppings.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
experiencedtravlerNe, Guest Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Our rooms are clean, bug free and smoke free. This complaint is absolutely false and a clear case of a guest upset because she booked a room for one person and arrived with a second person. We offer a discounted rate to guests traveling alone. We offered this guest an early
check in , the guest used our facilities and then wanted to leave early with a refund. There was nothing to justify such a request. We accommodate thousands of guest per month and there is no way the complaints made could be valid.
Denver, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

There's a reason this place is rated second-worst in Key Largo, although I suspect it's not long before it takes the last spot. It's an old, unappealing motel with the least comfortable beds I've ever slept on in my life. The "continental breakfast" they advertise is just a heap of cheap packaged muffins that you'd find in a convenience store. But none of this is necessarily a deal breaker for a place if the price is right.

The initial price on this place seemed right, and we weren't expecting anything above and beyond the very basics. Where this place really fails is the customer service. The owner has absolutely zero respect for his customers. When we arrived, he ignored our presence while the girl up front checked us in. When he realized there were two of us, he pulled the girl into a side room, whispered to her, and she came back to inform us there would be an additional $20 charge. We asked why, and she said because we never told them there would be two people in the room. Mind you, we weren't being charged for a second person, just for not disclosing the second person up front. Who the heck has ever heard of something like that? We explained that when we called, the woman who answered never asked us how many people would be staying in the room. After putting up a fight, the owner finally waived the additional $20, but he looked absolutely furious about it. I remember thinking at the time, "this guy has a really strange way of running a service-based business."

But the real kicker came later that night. After returning from watching a sunset, I pulled a chair out of the room, sat out front with a beer, and lit up a cigar. Now, to be fair, the woman who checked us in did warn us not to smoke... in the rooms. In fact, she mentioned it three separate times, and I thought, "wow, they are really serious about this no smoking business." At no point did anyone mention that the entire compound was non-smoking. Nor are there any signs posted. Is it written in the contract like the owner says? Maybe... but who the heck stops to read the fine print when paying for a motel room for one night? Is it on the website? Again, maybe. But we never visited the website. We got the number off tripadvisor.com and called to make the reservation.

So there I am enjoying my cigar when the owner walks by and says, "there's no smoking." I said, "Doesn't that just mean in the rooms?" He said, "no, the entire facility is non-smoking." I apologized profusely and immediately put out my $15 cigar... which did not make me happy. Then we return home from vacation to find we have been charged an $80 fine! EIGHTY DOLLARS! My wife called and explained what I've written above, and was basically told, "tough s&!t." I've never heard of anything like this in my life. The owner says below that the policies are explained to everyone. They are not. If it had been explained to me that I could be fined $80 for smoking OUTSIDE, would have really pulled out a chair and kicked my feet up with a cigar not more than 50 feet from the front office? Hell, if I knew I was going to be fined anyway, I certainly wouldn't have put out an expensive cigar! Apparently it counts for nothing to the owner that I apologized and put the cigar out as soon as he informed us of the policy. And it baffles me that he can't comprehend how customer service that horrible will affect his business.

Even if the customer service had been flawless, I still never would have stayed at this place again. But I certainly wouldn't have taken the time to write a negative review either. My recommendation, whether you smoke or not, is that you not give this place a second look. There are far better accommodations throughout the keys, for roughly the same price, with infinitely better customer service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
experiencedtravlerNe, Guest Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Regrettable this is a case directly related to our no smoking policy. All web sites we use explain that we are a smoke free facility. In addition, when we check in all guests, we again review our strict no smoking policy verbally to all guests and even ask them to acknowledge the policy by signing our policy sheet. We also explain that our policy prohibits smoking anywhere on the property not just in guest rooms. We don't want to charge a fee to guests who ignore our policy but sometimes when it is clear to us that a guest has disregarded our policy, and our other guests complaint about smelling smoke, we are left with no choice. Our policy sheet clearly states that if a guest fails to honor our no smoking policy a surcharge will be incurred. Our no smoking policy is for the benefit of all our guests to ensure a pleasant stay. We know all too well that if someone smokes, especially a cigar, the odor stays on the person and is carried into our room. We use the surcharge to defray the cost to clean draperies, carpeting ,wiping down the walls with Lysol and for keeping the room out of service for the duration of the cleaning process. (Our breakfast items include bakery fresh muffins which we wrap and fresh fruit, not something from a convenience store. Also our single rate is for one person not two.)
Tampa, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

If you're expecting a resort hotel at a budget price. Keep dreaming there ain't no such animal. But if you're looking for a clean, safe, convenient location at a budget price then this is it. Sure it's dated but it is clean, comfortable and safe. I am a scuba diver and i needed to spend my money on my diving not a hotel.

The key Largo Inn gave me a single room at a great price and I was within 5 minutes of everything. All the services you need are out the parking lot to the right. Restaurants, supermarkets, pharmacies, dive shops, Gas stations and most importantly the town marina with all the dive boats.

The property is well cared for. It is obvious that they try hard to keep it as spiffy as possible. The building appears to be of 1950's construction. The furniture is 1990's and the carpets are well worn but clean. The bedding, towels etc are recent. The pool was clean and the outdoor furniture was plentiful and modern, think Home Depot. The parking is a limestone gravel base. Just like most of all the other parking lots in The florida Keys. So your car does get dusty. And muddy when it rains. Which happens everyday in summer. But again. You're in The Keys. Lighten up. Be happy.

I think that the negative reviews are retribution for the zero tolerance "no smoking" and "no pets" policy. They are very strict and they will bust you. Which I loved because I hate smoking and I have pet allergies. That was a big plus for me. By the way, my air conditioner worked just fine. And the WIFI was excellent.

I didn't see any bugs. The bugs stories didn't add up to a hill of beans. I did see the usual tiny little crazy ants outside. But they are as common in Florida as palm trees. Lets be real. We live in Florida. Bugs live right outside the the front door everywhere in Florida. And remember if you keep food in your hotel room. The bugs will find it and find you too. Don't bring food into your room in The Keys!

The little lizards you see running around are called Anoles. They are as common as the ants are. And they are completely and totally harmless. In fact encourage your kids to catch them. But tell them to be gentle. Anoles are very soft bodies, fragile little creatures. The Hawks love to eat them. It's fascinating to watch a Red Shouldered Hawk swoop down and catch one. However I didn't see any Hawks in Key Largo.

The breakfast was muffins, decent coffee, fresh fruit and bottled juices. Just enough to get you going on your way to the boat. And the staff was super nice. I don't get what others are saying. Over all I stayed 3 nights and had a very pleasant stay. It's definitely not the Marriott or the Holiday Inn. But for the price it is was well worth it. I highly recommend it for divers and travelers on a budget.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!