“Cheap hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 17 hotels in Key Largo
Valby, Denmark
“Cheap hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This hotel is very cheap and you get, what you pay for. The rooms small, the breakfast a joke and the staff were indifferent. The pool lokked nice and were very warm, but not clean (a member of our party had a serious earinfection after using the pool, so be vareful).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
experiencedtravlerNe, Guest Relations Manager at Key Largo Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Our property offers the best rates in our area by far and our rooms are standard sized, similar in size to the other properties. We offer exactly what we advertise and our breakfast items consist of coffee, tea, three different juices, fresh fruits and bakery fresh muffins and doughnuts. Our swimming pool is clean and safe, and the water quality is tested three times per day as required , there is no way our pool contributed to any problems as claimed. ( It is more likely people have problems with sea water and snorkling/diving in the ocean off Key Largo.) We explained
exactly what we offer to these walk in guests and they had no problem consuming huge amounts
of our breakfast items. Our staff is always available and friendly.

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I booked this hotel at the last minute. Hotels were full because of the July 4th holiday, so I took a chance on the Key Largo Inn. The many negative reviews were alarming. I think that people gave unduly harsh reviews. Some people write reviews that are flat-out mean, because they are shielded by anonymity. I will try to give you an honest, balanced review.

This place is old and needs a general face-lift. It is what my parents used to call "down at the heel." Some of the interior trim needs to be replaced, and it definitely needs to be modernized. For example, there was no phone in the room. I have a cell phone, but it's still nice to have a landline in the room. There are no outlets in the bathroom which made drying my hair difficult, especially since I wanted to do it behind a closed door while my sister slept. There is no ice machine. Instead there is a cooler with ice in the lobby. There is no flat-screen TV, just a regular TV with a modest-sized screen. Not a big deal for me, since I preferred to read and write Tripadvisor reviews. There is a complimentary internet provider so you can use your laptops.

On the plus side, the room was clean and fresh-smelling. The beds had nice firm mattresses. There were no bugs inside. Folks--don't come to a hot, humid area if bugs freak you out. You will encounter bugs. If you don't, then your hotel has no doubt sprayed insecticides. You either get bugs or bug spray. Take your pick. Note: DO use bug spray such as Off! or Cutters if you plan to be outside at all--especially in the later afternoon or early evening. I took a late-afternoon walk at John Pennecamp State Park and made sure to spray myself. The mosquitoes are fierce on Key Largo.

The attendant at the front desk was helpful and recommended that we eat at the Pilot House restaurant which was an easy walk from the hotel. He did ask/remind us several times about the No Smoking policy--indoors or out. I suspect this policy has ticked off a few people and may account for the vitriolic reviews. The place was quiet. I was glad not to be surrounded by noisy partiers.

There is a small pool. but I did not go swimming. I really just needed a place to sleep for the night and that is what I got. The complimentary breakfast is bare bones: some pre-packaged muffins; fresh apples, oranges and bananas, small bottles of orange and V-8 juice. I went mainly for the coffee, even though there is a coffee machine in the room. I would have liked fresh milk instead of the creamers.

If you merely need a bed and shower, this place will do. To be honest, it was the last day of my trip and I didn't have a lot of money. I paid $117 for the night which was on the low end, given that it was the weekend before July 4th.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Guest Relations Manager at Key Largo Inn, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Thank you for your review. We pay close attention to all comments
made about our property to help us better provide our services. We
appreciate honest and fair comments.

For the record, however, all our guest rooms do have telephones, all
bathrooms do have electrical outlets (which are built into the over
mirror light fixtures), we purposely dispense ice from the office for sanitary reason and
similarly for hygienic reasons we wrap our bakery fresh muffins in
Saran wrap each morning, they are not pre-packaged. Our free breakfast items
consist of coffee, tea, orange juice, apple juice and v8, fresh
blueberry and cinnamon muffins, plus apples, oranges and
bananas.

A key feature of the Key Largo Inn is its smoke free position which
includes the entire premises and all outside public areas. Since
this feature is unique in our area, we try to ensure there are no
misunderstanding with our guests by mentioning this issue only two times.
Upon arrival our guests will be asked if there are any smokers in the
party, then at the very end of our check in procedure we quickly
review our no smoking, no pets and maximum guests per room policies.

We offer our services at the Key Largo Inn to provide clean, safe,
fully functional accommodations and an economic alternative to the other, newer
full service resorts in the Keys that charge minimally $100. more per
night. Finally, we use an odorless and non allergenic insecticide as part of our
pest control program. We have 24 hour staffing at our office but
limit check in time to between 3pm and 11pm only to ensure the quiet
comfort of all our guests. We similarly close our full liquor bar by 11pm for the same reason.
Ponca City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

Returned to visit friends , price of the rooms are unbeatable for key largo especially with breakfast and a bar .

• Stayed May 2012
Sanford, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

My husband and I had the unfortunate experience of staying at the Key Largo Inn this past week in order to break up our trip from the Orlando area to Key West. If we knew then what we know now we would have stayed in a different hotel or just driven straight through! First of all I want to state (because of the managements' prior responses to negative reviews) that neither of us is a competitor or a smoker. The first thing we did when we got to the room was check for bugs. Although the bed linens were clean the room had that run down scary bug infested look. No bugs found (whew!) but there was a skink lizard in the bathroom which I was able to chase out. Each of the "queen length" aka full sized beds had two pillows on them and scratchy overbleached sheets and a coverlet. The pillows underneath the pillowcases were flat and stained, mattresses were old with stains and rips. Bathroom was tiny and we refused to even shower in the morning, all we wanted was to LEAVE!!!! The tv was a big old one, no flat screen in this dump (for $90 a night I would expect not luxury but modern basics, fresh paint and linens, etc) and the "ice machine" is a cooler full of ice at the front desk. Between the management response to prior comments, the questions we were asked at check in, and the hotel infol in the room it seems the owner of the hotel is obsessed with the non-smoking policy. Again, we don't smoke at all, but chill out, most normal hotels any more are all non-smoking.

Room Tip: This is an old place right off highway 1, traffic going by all night so you will hear that no matter...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
If providing clean, fully functional, safe , secure, smoke free and bug free accommodations at $100 less per night than our competitors is wrong, we don't know what is right.
We ask all guests on arrival if any one is a smoker and then again at registration we ask guests to acknowledge that we discussed our policy about smoking, so the issue is addressed only twice. Unlike any other hotels that have non smoking rooms, we explain that we are a smoke free “property”, that is, smoking is prohibited throughout the property, even all outside areas. This policy is unlike other hotels which is why we explain it to our guests. If a prospective guest is a smoker, we are not the place for them. Our bed are not stained or torn, all mattresses have pads and we double pillow slip all our pillows, and replace them two times each year. We purposely dispense ice from the lobby since we were informed by State of Florida hotel inspectors that all hotel public ice machines are sources of mold, bugs, customer tampering and bacteria. For these reasons we purchase sanitary bagged ice and dispense it from a sanitary ice chest , under supervision, to ensure that our guests obtain safe, clean ice. If a walk in guests does not like our facilities and accommodations we never force any one to stay. We want all our guests to enjoy there stay and do everything we can to ensure that happens. FYI businesses have to pay Trip Advisor to post responses to anonymous comments like this. so we encourage honest and fair comments to help us better service our guests and continue to offer an economic alternative.
Longwood, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I don't know why there is so much ranting about this place. I am thankful that there was a room here to stay in as we are passing thru. It's clean, it's cool, and the grounds are nice. The shower is good and the towels are fresh and clean. Yes it does need a little touching up. It is what it is. Do your research. If you want a full blown resort with noise, lots of people, and loud blaring music, then stay at one. You couldn't find the bar? How could you miss it? I am happy with the quiet, a nice tv, and a good bed. I am tired of secondhand cigarette smoke everywhere I go and there isn't any here. There is a good restaurant within walking distance called The Pilothouse. I had fish tacos and they didn't bankrupt me. This is all the essence of the Keys. Try some standup paddle boarding while you are here for a real experience back in the mangroves. I have no complaints. In Florida there are bugs outside but there weren't any in the room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Camden, De
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

The unit that we rented was very modern very clean and very well furnished also! Every night was very quiet through-out the entire complex and they have 24/7 manned security within this here gated community of vacation condo's with a guard at the main-entrance gate that lets you in 24/7 on your windsheild parking pass, that alone made us feel very SAFE staying here needless to say! The grounds through out the complex are quite beautifully landscaped and very well kept clean at all times! They have a very nice swimming pool and tennis courts along with a childrens play-ground are also available! At $235.00 per night not exactly cheap but with three of us in our party it became very reasonable for a beautiful modern very nicely furnished well appointed 2-bed 2-full-bath Condo for sure! They also have a nice little beach along with a boat-ramp and parking area's for parking your boat should you be bringing one along for your stay! Also a very nice outdoor covered area for you to sit with family friends to drink party or simply gather for nightly get-togethers and conversation many tables and chairs are available there! Upstairs of this is a Bar/Restaurant featuring I believe featuring Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner also! But we cooked our own Breakfast evey morning and ate out our all our Dinner's every night at various Key Largo and Islamorda Restaurants! But like I said earlier not CHEAP per night for a single person or just a couple but with a third or fourth person or another couple sharing in the nightly rate Ocean Pointe becomes a BARGAIN bar none!!!

Room Tip: The further Yo book ahead the better the deal you will receive! We visited late Feb early March. I f...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Wellington, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

The most vile hotel I have ever been in. Gross, dirty, smelly broken down. staff and management are rude and very nasty. This place should be condemned. Vermin, bugs, just absolutely a disaster.

• Stayed February 2012
keylargoinn, Manager at Key Largo Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
This is a ridiculous review. No guests of our property ever experienced what this review claims.
This is a competitor or someone upset that we would not permit them to smoke at the property and possibly refused them service. The Key Largo Inn is a complete smoke free facility and we strictly follow this policy. Our facilities are fully licensed and inspected and there is no way we could accommodate our 2,000 guests per month if this review were in any way true. Trip Advisor should be ashamed to post this totally unverified type of rant.

Been to Key Largo Inn? Share your experiences!