“Headed downhill” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Popp's Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Key Largo
Popp's Motel
You added Popp's Motel to your Saves list
95500 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037   |
Ranked #16 of 19 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Richmond, VA, USA
“Headed downhill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2006

Our experience was marginally acceptable. The beachside setting was very nice. The room furnishings were on the edge of being acceptable. The sheets were pilled and the towels were well used as was almost every thing in the way of room furnishings. Everything did function, but one wondered how long they would function. As was alluded to in another review the personnel were clearly not service minded. We wondered what would happen if we had a problem with something. Fortunately we did not. I am not sure we would stay there again if we return to the Keys even though the price was not high.

• Stayed March 2005

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

If you're looking for a fairly good deal in Key Largo, check out Popp's Motel. It's convenient and has a great beach area. A little TLC would go a long way in taking this little motel over the edge. If you can ignore the line of old stoves and junk piled up near the office and rooms that could use just a little extra cleaning, you'll be fine. I'd go back just for the beach and hammocks!

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2006

The place is ok, I guess. You get a nice room (that if you like pastels cause it looks like 1956), a kitchen with a full set of cookware (good for you if you are planning on cooking on your vacation), a little piece of sand on the beach, and a few palm trees. This is all on a plus side. What you might not get is customer service. One little detail that owners neglect to mention to you on the phone is - after 6pm you will not get any attention what-so-ever. Not in person, not on the phone. Must be the “Keys” thing. When I booked the room it never crossed my mind to ask for any special treatment, such as late check in. I called from Miami the night before trying to confirm the reservation. It should have alerted me when noone picked up, but I figured I’d try the following day. The next day I did not get a chance to call until a little after 6pm. Noone picked up again and noone returned my message that night. I have never been to Keys before and was hesitant to drive all the way there without any indication I would find that place or in fact any human beings there. I found hotel in Miami for that night. When I got to Popp’s the following day, owner requested I paid for the night I was not there claiming that late check in was arranged (who knows how!). The woman did not seem to be concerned with her lack of communication and blamed no show on me. After long, unpleasant negotiation I still had to pay half of the night. Better but still not a fair deal. And you cannot see the sunset from the property. Hope this helps you with your travel planning.

• Stayed January 2006
LaPorte, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2005

Myself and other family members have been staying here for many years on our various Keys trips.
Altho it is by far the lovliest beach on the bayside, the property has been sadly going downhill. Trash cans never emptied, beach littered. Landscaping very neglected. Some rooms were closed due to septic problems. We are considering staying elsewhere this next trip., but really will miss the nice beach and long history we have with the location.

Stayed July 2005
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2004

Popp's was definitely worth the price. The location was great (right in Key Largo) and it had its own private beach. We could have spent an entire day at just Popp's if we had wanted to.

Plenty of space for lounging, BBQing, and water activities.

Our efficiency was clean and well furnished.

I would definitely stay there again if we were in the area.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2004

We stayed at Popp's for 2 days, went snorkelling at Pennekamp. It was a clean, comfortable, no frills 50s style motel. The private beach was lovely with a small play area for kids. The room was only $100 a night and was pretty big with a decent sized kitchen, not bad! If you stay here you can walk to Harriette's for breakfast - Delicious!

Upstate New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2004

Last year we went to the Keys and the hotel I originally booked messed up our reservations so badly I stayed for one day and checked out.With no where to stay I started driving around hoping to find a nice place.It was the best mess up anyone ever made.I would have never found Popp's.The place is paradise.The owners were very accommodating,they got us into our room 3 hours early.The room is like a suite and the price is right.Bottom line, I am about to book a room again for this year.See you there.WE LOVE POPP'S!

Been to Popp's Motel? Share your experiences!