“Awesome Marina! Dockmaster, Top Notch!” 5 of 5 stars

Marina Del Mar Resort And Marina
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   527 Caribbean Dr, Key Largo, FL 33037   |
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Key Largo
Compassrose89
“Awesome Marina! Dockmaster, Top Notch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My family and I have been living on our boat at Marina Del Mar in Key Largo for the past 10 months & we love it here! The service provided by the dockmaster "Candi" is outstanding, courteous and goes above and beyond her call of duty. Not only does she deliver our mail to our boat, she has adjusted our lines when storms have popped up, helped to connect us to services such as bottom cleaning, mechanics, a/c people when we have needed their services. Candi is a wealth of local knowledge, she has a cute sense of humor and can be seen on 4th of July as well as Christmas all dressed up for the occasion.
During our travels we have stayed at Pirate's Cove Marina (3 months), Pier 66(3 months),Bahia Mar Marina(2 months) Miamarina(1 month) and at most of these Marinas, week-end boaters come in and "act the fool", disturbing boaters who are here for the long term. Here at Marina Del Mar we get a few of those, too. Unfortunately, Candi has to deal with folks who drink too much, party long after the party should be over and leave their trash on the dock or in the water and just drive away. I have watched Candi tirelessly try to help people (week-end boaters) to understand that they are in a public space and to please be aware that there are other boaters here as well, who may not enjoy their music, drunkenness, and obnoxiousness all night long. For this, I commend Candi. She has the patience of a saint. She is a diplomat and she keeps this place a pristine, well-run operation that I am glad to call my "home" Marina. Keep up the good work! Marina Del Mar is the best choice of Marinas in this area. Clean, fun, great service, great local knowledge and it is all because of a dockmaster who cares! We love you Candi! When did I travel? Nov.2011-Currently

Room Tip: When we have friends come to town we always tell them to book a Marina view, the sunsets are amazing...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

If you are a diver planning to go out of the marina with one of the great, local dive companies, the location is great. The positives end there, though.

The lobby is decent enough, so a guest might have false impressions upon checking in. We had two rooms, one a studio with full kitchen and, the second, a connecting bedroom. When we settled into our rooms, we relaxed and took off our shoes. We soon discovered that our feet were covered in dirt from the tile floor that was not cleaned very well before we checked-in. Disgusting! We also found the overall room was not cleaned very well, but this is what bleach wipes are for.

When we checked-in, they asked us if we wanted pots and pans. We had a room with a full kitchen, so it would seem logical that we wanted pots and pans. We confirmed that we did want them, and the front desk called housekeeping to take them up to the room. After two days, we still had no pots and pans, so another trip was made to the front desk. Our eagerly awaited pots and pans finally arrived. Yuck! The pans were dirty with cooked-on debris. After scrubbing the pans, we attempted to fix dinner. Two of the stove's four burners did not work at all. The other two had hot spots that got so hot, anything directly above in the pan burned regardless of the stove setting. After eating, we went to load the dishwasher, but my wife soon discovered that the door to the dishwasher had no spring and it fell open, smashing her foot. After icing her foot, my wife then loaded the dishwasher and ran it. The dishwasher filled with water but never washed the dishes. So much for paying for a room with a full kitchen. We ended-up never using the kitchen again, but for the refrigerator, during our week-long stay.

Many other items in the room did not work, such as lights, the hair dryer, the window shutters, a sink with very low pressure, the Jacuzzi portion of the tub (water jets) , the shower head spray selector, the clothes drying line, etc. The connecting bedroom had only one lamp for the entire room. The crank handle for the shutter on one window did not work either, so the shutter was left shut, making the room dark. The main window in the studio was a sliding glass door overlooking the marina, which should have been nice, but the glass door was on a common walkway with moderate foot traffic, so the blinds (sliding louvered doors) had to be shut for any privacy, eliminating the view. Although smoking is not allowed in the rooms, guests do smoke outside of their rooms, so the smoke inevitably enters nearby rooms.

Many of the resort's guests are divers, but there are no lockers or areas provided to rinse, dry, and store dive gear. We were asked not to dry anything on the railings, so drying options were very limited.

The limited parking is an acknowledged problem. Overflow parking is several hundred yards away, which is not too bad unless you are loading or unloading. Curiously, while I watched guests parking far away, I also watched a hotel employee park right out front in a guest spot. Marina guests also were using hotel guest parking. Guest parking permits are required, but few cars parked in guest spots actually had the permits.

The night before we checked-out, we wanted to dry some towels so they wouldn't be wet for our long drive home. Using the guest laundry, we ran the towels through the dryer several times, but they never dried. Another waste of money.

Continental breakfast is provided each morning, but it is very, very limited, to a point that I would be embarrassed if I was hotel management. Then again, I really don't think hotel management cares. When I checked-out, I went over some of the issues with the front desk staff. Someone named Miguel overheard my concerns, but, for some reason, focused-in on the hair dryer not working. He immediately went to our room(s) and returned a few minutes later, proclaiming both hair dryers were working fine. First, I said only one was broken, not both. Second, yes, the broken one works intermittently and then apparently has a problem, emits sparks from the GFCI safety plug, and then stops working. In fact, the plug was cracked, but Miguel just wanted to argue with me as to whether it worked or not. For my inconveniences, the front desk clerk said she would take 25% off of our room. I felt this was fair until I reviewed my bill and discovered the 25% off was applied to only our last night, not the entire week-long stay as the clerk suggested.

For the prices paid, we expected a lot more. Overall, we found the resort run-down and dirty, lacking many of the common amenities and comforts travelers have grown to expect. The location is so ideal that with some refurbishment and a better staff attitude, Marina Del Mar could be a great place. I believe that management feels the location sells itself, so clean, comfortable, functioning rooms and a bountiful continental breakfast are wastes of money. The apathetic staff follows management's lead.

If you do decide to stay at Marina Del Mar, try to get a room overlooking the Marina. Do be aware, though, of the loud music coming from Coconuts next door at times.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the marina, but beware of noise coming from Coconuts next door.
Fort Lauderdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My family and some friends stayed for for 4 nights at the hotel.We all had rooms as well as slips for our boats.The staff was very nice except for the dock manager Candy.She was rude to everyone in our party and we noticed how she was also very nasty to other boaters as well.The rooms had terrible ant problems but other than that they were allright.I would recommend this hotel if they get a pest control company to handle the ants,but to all boaters " dont do it man". Candy is not sweet!!!!!!!

Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

All the other reviews musy be about other properties.
We found,clean,modern rooms,friendly staff and a great location.
Great for folks with bigger dogs.
Ritz,it's not..neither is it a Daytona Spring Break room..if you catch my drift.

• Stayed August 2012
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stay here 4 nights clean and next to anything you want to do in Key Largo The only thing bad was the parking if you could not find one you will have to park next door it s not that far but you want to be close to your room , Love divers here ; the staff were friendly ; the pool big and clean; free breakfest

Room Tip: we had a room next to the road and its very quiet
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Walled Lake, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed one night this week at Marina del Mar in Key Largo, as a stop between Key West and Miami. We ended up there through a hotwire.com "hot rate", which we had never tried before. You find out the name of the hotel after you make a reservation, and it is non-refundable. We paid approx. $95 for a room with 2 double beds. I'm not sure what other rooms in that price range would have looked like but would gladly have paid more if I had known what this "hot rate" would bring. As others have mentioned, the hotel was overall shabby and run down but appeared clean enough at first glance. Problems included molding/ cabinet peeling off in the bathroom, a ceiling fan that made a very loud clacking noise and wobbled like it was going to fall, inadequate parking (we had to park next door at Coconuts bar/grill) and the worst hotel beds I have experienced. The beds bothered me the most, because it was impossible to get a good night's sleep. They reminded me of cots- a thin mattress on a metal frame that squeaked loudly with every movement. The mattress actually fell down a couple of notches a few separate times when we turned over. I wondered if we'd end up sleeping on the mattress on the floor. The office staff was not particularly friendly, and the maintenance/ housekeeping staff did not speak English well enough to communicate with us or help us with needs. They were yelling at each other loudly in the common corridors in the building. Positives? The pool seemed large and nice, but we did not stay to use it. Also the location on the marina is nice. Personally, will not stay here again, regardless of cost.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Key Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The jacuzzi suite was awesome and everything is in walking distance! Great bar and restaurants . You can charter any kind of offshore boat imaginable in the marina.

Room Tip: A little pricey considering the Holiday Inn right next door but I think the extra few bucks is worth...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Marina Del Mar Resort And Marina? Share your experiences!