“peace and quiet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Largo Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Key Largo
Largo Lodge
101,740 Overseas Hwy, Key Largo, FL 33037   |
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“peace and quiet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

If its peace and quiet you want then this is the place to stay, you get your own private lodging which is clean and very secluded. You can sit by the water in the evening with a glass of wine and watch the sun set.....you'd never tire of it.
There is also lots of squirrels running around which is nice and we even seen a racoon one night!
And for those of you who prefer technology to nature, there is free Wi-Fi and cable TV.
My husband and I stumbled across this place quite by accident and I'm glad we did, we enjoyed a couple of nights away from the hustle and bustle.

Room Tip: choose a lodge close to the water so that you can enjoy the view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Sunny Isles Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We had decided on a whim to leave Sunny Isles and head to Key Largo. With no intention of where we would be staying...I said "Stop"..this looks interesting!

As the other reviews have said..you drive down a narrow gorgeous tropical pathway, unlike any other I have ever seen in my travels. When we arrived at the office, a very pleasant gentlemen came over to inform us that someone prior to us had arrived and they had first choice. That of course seemed only fair. A few minutes later he came back and said "sorry" they will be staying here. Without even seeing the facility, I was disappointed! But, luck was on our side, when just as we were getting ready to pull out.."Alan" came over and said they changed their mind......bad for them...great for us!

This place is a find!. I travel extensively for business and am not a fan of the cookie cutter hotels. Alan spent probably 20-30 minutes with us showing us the beauty of the property...this was his "baby" and the pride came shining through. Alan also took the time to refer several restaurants in the area (all of which we ate at)..he couldn't have bee more charming and made us feel at home.

Love, Love Love the bungalow!..extremely clean and spacious. The kitchen had everything you needed should you want to cook...linens were great...you just feel as if you are in never never land!

I am a very finicky person.... Believe me folks......this place is awesome!
Alan...we will see you again!
Thank you for your hospitality!!!!!

BDS

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is a very charming lodge that has separate bungalows rather than the traditional hotel rooms. It is nestled in a gorgeous lush, tropical bayside landscape...which is amazing considering it is just off the main highway. The short road leading in to the property is beautifully landscaped. The bungalow is very clean & inviting, with a screened in porch, adequate kitchen facilities and a really neat bedroom area off the living area, complete with a big screen tv. The pier area was wonderful for having a glass of wine and watching the beautiful sunsets. Very relaxing. Alan was very helpful and friendly during our stay. Will definitely return on our next visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in the first bungalow right off the beach & pier...perfect!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lake Worth, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My girlfriend and I tripped across this place quite by accident last year, and couldn't wait to return. The property is beautifully landscaped in native Florida flora. Lush and shady, it's the perfect place to escape and relax. The bungalows have a screened in porch and fully equipped kitchen. The owner and staff couldn't have been more accommodating.

I was a bit taken back when I heard the deposit was non refundable. My girlfriend and I both have jobs that can cause last minute cancellations. But with such a small number of units I can see why this has to be the policy. A few cancellations for a big hotel is barely a blip, not so with such a small operation. So we deal with it, and I think it's worth it. Already planning our next visit!

Room Tip: The bungalows are the more expensive choice but totally worth it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Valencia, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Key Largo Lodge used to be my "go to" place in the keys. I have spent many nights there, and was always treated as family, not just a paycheck. On my recent stay, I could not have been more disappointed. So disappointed that I even considered forfeiting my "non-refundable" room charge and going to another property more friendly.

I will admit that I made the reservation with my eyes wide open. After staying there a number of times in the past, I was fine with paying a premium amount for the room. After all, I was family, and if that is what they needed, then I was fine paying the price. This was prior to my knowledge that the property was under new ownership.

Again, prior to my knowledge of the new ownership of the property, I attempted to cancel my reservation well in advance of the check in date because other properties in the area were half the price of this property. Even family doesn't like to be taken!! The person on the phone (I assume the owner) told me that there was a no cancellation policy, whether I show up or not, not his problem, my card was going to be charged. The conversation was that short, and that terse. I can't emphasize enough how cold the conversation was.

Upon check in, I asked to be placed in a lower cost room. The assistant manager said he did not have the authority to do so, and had to call the owner. He called the owner, but gave the phone to me to do the negotiation. Again, the experience was cold and terse. The 'owner' said he could move me to another room, but the price was the same, my credit card was going to be charged the amount, regardless of where I stayed, or if I stayed. That terse, that cold!!

Despite the lack of hospitality received so far, I still tried to keep an open mind, after all, this was a place that I really enjoyed. But when the actual services provided deviated drastically from the advertised, I got a bit depressed. There were no services provided whatsoever, not even enough ice for a second drink (you had an ice tray in the mini-fridge, that's all).

There are some redeeming qualities to this property, despite the arrogance of the new owners. The room was very comfortable, and very clean. Which doesn't surprise me as the same person has been cleaning that room for almost 30 years. This is one of the reasons why I liked this property, the cleaning crew has been there for decades, and they know how to keep the rooms clean. The beach and the sunset is spectacular. The property was very clean. The location is ideal.

In summary, please don't stay here. There are a number of good properties with charm and personality that will actually appreciate you being there, and will actually try to accommodate you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here three years ago and found this quaint, charming lodge. Looked forward to staying here again but found it very unsatisfactory. Tho owner was never there. The person there to check us in had to call the owner before anything could be done. Once checked in there was no one to provide service of any kind. For $275 a night one would think a guest would have someone available to provide service. Found it interesting that the "no vacany" sign was always on but there were more empty cabins than occupied. So sad to see this great property come to such ruin when all it would take is some customer service and someone to care.

The room was clean and comfortable but only because the same housekeeper has been there for twenty years.

• Stayed July 2013
LARGO_LODGE, Manager at Largo Lodge, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
We at largo Lodge are very surprised by your comment as it is the first one we have received that was so negative since taking over the property over two years ago. In fact we recently received the ranking of number 3 position in our area of the Florida Keys for so many positive comments on Tripadvisor. Yes, we have changed and for almost of our guests, save you, they seem to think for the better
Webster, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and I have stayed in Key Largo many times. This was the first time at Largo Lodge. I am sure we will return. We checked in for a 5 night stay. The owner gave us a complete tour of the well kept property, and provided discounts for some of the local establishments.

The property is heavily shaded and quite lovely. The trees and foliage make you feel that you are in a tropical rain forest. The blooming orchids complete the illusion. There is also a large sunny area near the water, with a beach and a pier where you can sit, relax and enjoy the view. There are ibises and egrets wandering around near the water. and a few iguanas over near the mangroves.

We were staying in Bungalow #4 which was in the middle of the property. Although there is a busy road within a long stones throw from some of the accommodations, the property is very quiet. Our bungalow had a large screened in porch with a ceiling fan, The Bungalow itself air-conditioned and was quite spacious. It was like a giant studio, with only a partial wall separating the bedrooms from the living room and kitchen area. The kitchen came equipped with a refrigerator, microwave, toaster., and basic dinnerware and utensils. The bathroom was small, but OK. The water pressure in the shower was nothing to brag about, but it was enough to do the job.

As I mentioned earlier the property is heavily shaded. The cabana is also equipped with energy efficient lighting, This creates a minor problem in that there is usually not enough light, night or day, to read comfortably.

The shade also presents a concern for divers, since there is no handy place to dry out your gear. We overcame this problem by diving with Horizon Divers, who are only about 2 minutes away. They are a first rate dive operation with a guest equipment locker, and they let you hang your gear outside if you wish to dry it out more completely before picking it up and packing it away,

Since we are divers, we did not swim or snorkel off the beach. From the top there did not appear to be much structure underwater, but you might see a few creatures and fish. You may have to go out on a boat or visit the Park if you want to see more.

Overall, this is a very pleasant place to stay. We enjoyed it very much.

Room Tip: Even the rooms nearer the road are protected from excessive noise by a fence and heavy foliage. I w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Largo Lodge? Share your experiences!