“Fantastic position - let down by poor poor front desk service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 NIGHTLY RESORT CREDIT
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Key Largo
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
“Fantastic position - let down by poor poor front desk service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I should start by saying that I am a Marriott fan - given the choice, I always choose Marriott hotels. I am in their Gold membership tier, and honestly had very high expectations for this stay. I had booked the best part of a year in advance, and let the hotel know that I was taking two life-long friends as guests to celebrate their silver wedding. The perfect chance for Marriott to excel, right? Nope.

When we went to check in, we were served (after a wait) by the "employee of the month". Not a smile, not a word. Just took my paperwork, and proceeded to tap into the computer. I mentioned that "this young lady (pointing at my friend's wife) is celebrating her silver wedding anniversary this weekend. Not a word from employee of the month.

I asked if a room upgrade was possible - please give it to my friends I said, its their anniversary. With the look that says "I couldn't care less", we were told that the hotel was full and that upgrades (part of the promise, where available, to Gold card holders) were impossible. "We've had Platinum card holders in too, and we couldn't upgrade them either" was EOM's (employee of the month) next proud assertion.

We went to our rooms. A gulf-view resort, with car-park-view rooms. Lovely. Except our room had a wet carpet, covered in sand, and with an industrial sized blower hard at work (our friends view was OK). We went back to reception, and as EOM was busy doing nothing, the manager came over. Of course, he was sorry, sorry, and said he'd upgrade us right away into a suite (but we thought the place was full...).

Our upgrade was lovely, and we met our friends. The rest of the stay was great. Highlights:

- Take a chair into the Gulf, and enjoy the sunset
- Look out for the dinosaurs on Jurassic beach (you'll see what we mean)
- Go to the restaurant (forget its name, but separate building to the north-side of the hotel). Breakfast is great, and the best waitress is Winsome. We saw dolphins swimming by, and one doing x3 flips right out of the water.

This hotel is in a simply perfect spot. The Gulf view is what may would call "paradise". There are swings, hammocks and sculptures in the grounds. So come on front desk, up your act!

If my review has helped you, I'd appreciate your "helpful vote" - thank you, and I hope you have a great vacation.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for Gulf view - the higher the better (there are four floors).
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
KeyLargoMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Key Largo Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Stephen A, thank you for the feedback from your recent stay here in Key Largo. I apologize on behalf of the front desk for falling short of your expectations. We look to exceed our guest expectations and we failed to do just that. I will work with the front office team to ensure we are proving exceptional guest services. We hope you will return to see our improvements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We got married here in 2010, so we decided to celebrate by staying here for a long weekend for our fourth wedding anniversary. Great stay, great room, great view of the bay.
It is almost like they remembered who we are. Everything was clean and kept as usual.
Being that we have stayed at this property six times now we have come to expect certain things.

All was good except for the pool bar staff. Usually I do not rip people because everyone has their days but... The two behind the bar were openly bickering and poking at each other in front the customers. I mean to the point where all of us were uncomfortable by the exchange. Furthermore once the 10 minute exchange was over the bartender was more interested in sitting down in front of the fan than checking the patrons. Overall just unprofessional.

The other odd thing was when we were poolside I watched the server pass by us no less than six times. Not once did she ask us if we needed to place an order (and the pool area maybe had 20 guests)

Which is why we finally walked over to the bar for "service" Just not a good experience at the pool bar. Everything else was great cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: You will need to confirm a bayside view on a higher floor for the best view. Totally worth the extr...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Brian H, thank you for coming back to spend your fourth wedding anniversary with us! We are thrilled we were able to continue the memories from your wedding! We appreciate your feedback and will work to improve for the future! We look forward to having you back for your 5th anniversary!
Palm Bay, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stayed here as part of a wedding party and had a fantastic time. Our room and the hotel were clean. The hotel is beautifully landscaped. Pool is great. The amenities are reasonably priced. I wish more care was taken when designing the landscape to allow for all the rooms facing the water to have a view because you have get lucky to get a good view. The staff was friendly but sometimes it took a little wait for whatever service you needed. I have already started planning another stay here and can not wait.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Angela A, thank you for sharing your experience in Key Largo! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay! We will work as a whole to improve on our service times. We are looking forward to hosting you brilliantly for your next stay!
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We went to Key Largo for my Birthday and our anniversary and booked a room just a few days before our vacation. Even with short notice we got a great room with view of beach and bay! the room was clean and very updated, a nice wrap around balcony too! the service at pool bar was great and everyone was very friendly. They have several restaurants on property and several others within walking distance.Hammocks, beach chairs and fire pits at night are amazing!boat dockage is available and there is a ramp also.I loved the high grade linens on the bed!!!
We will be back on our next trip!!!loved it!

Room Tip: bay view top floor end unit overlooking beach was great quiet in moring was nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are thrilled you found our little corner of paradise to be just right for your birthday and anniversary! We hope you will visit us soon, and the relaxing hammocks will be waiting for you!
Bridgeport, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

My wife and I recently had our wedding here at the Marriott Key Largo Bay Beach Resort and had a fantastic time.

We stayed there a couple of other times during our wedding location scouting process and really didn't have a bad experience.

Check in: The check in process was a breeze. You walk into a fantastic, island style lobby (which we just found out is going to be renovated in the coming months) and are greeted by very friendly front desk staff. The room type we requested was always available and for this most recent stay they upgraded us to the Penthouse Suite for our wedding which was UNREAL.

Accommodations: Again, the penthouse is UNREAL. It's huge and on the corner of the building with a wrap around balcony. The bedroom has a half bath (which I thought was odd) and a huge jacuzzi in the room. The main living room was great, marble floors, upgraded full kitchen and the full bath was in the common area. Nice couches and easy chairs comprised the living room area and 6 seat dining room table was a nice touch. The 2BR suites were great as well. All upgraded kitchens. The regular King and Queen bed rooms are updated and clean. Views depend on what type of room you book (Island view or Bay view). If you don't particularly care about a view then book and Island view but just be aware some of them have no balcony's or great views. If you want a view, chose a bay view and request a higher floor otherwise you may be looking at palm tree's.

Property: The grounds are beautiful. You really feel like you are on some tropical island in the Caribbean yet it's Key Largo. They have a magnificent, decently sized pool and hot tub with plenty of pool deck space. There is a tiki bar where you can order any type of drink and if you are hungry they have a bar menu. This property has been in the process of updating various items along the way. It was a family owned franchise for a long time, however they recently sold the remaining shares to the property owner which free'd up a lot of room to start doing major renovations. They added cabana's to the pool area which was nice. The beach area is great, plenty of room to lay out with beach chairs, tiki huts to lay under, etc. They also have a volley ball court on the beach. The main restaurant, Gus' Grille, is good. The food, especially dinner, is fantastic. They have a great chef who also did our wedding menu which turned out superb (Thank you again Anthony!). They also have a hotel bar, Breezers, located on the other side of the property which also serves a bar menu. Good views of the bay, etc. The area where we got married was awesome. It's a jetty I guess you could call it with sand, palm tree's, two tiki huts, hammocks and fire pits. Very relaxing. They have something similar just across the inlet outside Breezers with a new, fairly large, fire pit.

Activities: The property has a few activities you can partake in. The dive shop runs the kayaking, paddle boarding and Jet Ski's which is really fun. The price for the jet ski's was a little steep ($65/half hour) so we steered away from that but did kayaking for around $25 for an hour (two seater) and had a blast. We kayaked up and down the bay which was relaxing. If you want to dive, they hold certification classes right there and they bring you out diving on a reef I believe.

A couple cons: The pool bar could have better hours and perhaps a happy hour type deal. It would also be nice if the pool/beach area was open past 11pm seeing as the other area's are open. I get why they do it (don't want noisy people disturbing people in the rooms). Also, their security guy is a real jerk, to put it nicely. Completely rude. Instead of asking you nicely "hey..the pool is now closed so please exit as soon as you can.." he goes "the pools been closed for 20 minutes now you need to leave"..meanwhile this is the first time he came around at all. I was sitting, simply enjoying my cigar the night before my wedding quietly away from anything. Needless to say we exchanged words and I almost threw him in the pool. Completely unacceptable and not really sure why he still has a job there.

All in all we highly enjoyed our stay minus a few hiccups regarding some items leading up to our wedding. I've read some reviews of people not being impressed but all I can say is requesting a higher floor or an upgrade is just that, a request. If they can accommodate they will, they make every effort. There are also quite a few renovations in the works now so things are only going to get better (and probably more expensive). I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is spending a few days in Key Largo. Also- be prepared for the Iguanas :)

Room Tip: Request a bay view room on either the 3rd or 4th floor if you want a nice view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your wedding! We were delighted to be able to be apart of such a wonderful weekend! Your kind words will be shared with everyone! We hope you will visit us your for your one year anniversary where we can make new memories for you and your wife! Thank you!!
Monument, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We checked in and were greeted by a very nice guy at the front desk. He told us we had been upgraded to a better room with a partial view. The view was mostly of the roof of the spa and the dive shop. It would have been nicer to have been on a higher floor as requested but we were tired and the room seemed lovely. The next two days didn't feel like much of an upgrade as we discovered we were right above where the trucks make deliveries. We were all trying to rest one afternoon and a very loud truck with a hose made so much noise we had to leave the resort. When I complained to the front desk the woman who answered reminded me of our "upgrade". I can assure you any sane person would prefer a quiet room with no view. The three nights we spent in Sanibel Island were much better than our three nights here. Everyone else seemed to be enjoying it so I guess we were just unlucky. After many years of loyalty to the Marriott brand I am done. I cancelled my reservation in Seattle and am staying at the Westin now.
On the plus side, we enjoyed the food and drinks. The Tiki Bar at the pool would be better with happy hour of some kind. Simon at Gus' grille was great with our kids. The pool was great and not crowded at all. Having the beach so close was great. The iguanas were a nice surprise.

Room Tip: Stay away from first floor rooms near dive shop and restaurant. Rooms with pool view are probably be...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
On behalf of all of us at the Marriott Key Largo Bay Resort, I want to sincerely apologize the room upgrade was not to your standards. We look to place our guests in rooms where they will be comfortable and we failed to do just that. We hope you will return and let us show you how wonderful our room accommodations can be. On a bright note, we are glad you enjoyed the cuisine as well as the pool and beach facilities!
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Check in: She thought the 3 of us wanted a king bed. Interesting, but i pressed for what i had reserved. She gave us a bay view dbl dbl. Very nice. Loved the beds & pillows. Well furnished with inside table/chair, night table between beds, sink/mirror room & toilet/shower. After unpacking we headed to tiki bar for happy hour menu. Most appetizers were around $5 (less than half price), wine $4 and beer less than $3. The cheese pizza was good & the best value. The made garlic bread/toast for us - no charge since the chef wasn't proud of it. The service was very good. Adam was standing in for Lena (who is always excellent). We enjoyed the evening unfold on our balcony and walked to the stairs to appreciate a full view of the sunset. Breakfast was great - full buffet with made to order eggs/omeletes. One draw back. Only one cart and valet wasn't letting it go. Great stop for trip to KW!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for stopping in to stay with us before Key West! We are glad you found our resort comfortable for a stop over before your next destination! We will be sure to recognize Adam for his outstanding service at Breezers! We are always here for you!

Been to Marriott Key Largo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!