I should start by saying that I am a Marriott fan - given the choice, I always choose Marriott hotels. I am in their Gold membership tier, and honestly had very high expectations for this stay. I had booked the best part of a year in advance, and let the hotel know that I was taking two life-long friends as guests to celebrate their silver wedding. The perfect chance for Marriott to excel, right? Nope.
When we went to check in, we were served (after a wait) by the "employee of the month". Not a smile, not a word. Just took my paperwork, and proceeded to tap into the computer. I mentioned that "this young lady (pointing at my friend's wife) is celebrating her silver wedding anniversary this weekend. Not a word from employee of the month.
I asked if a room upgrade was possible - please give it to my friends I said, its their anniversary. With the look that says "I couldn't care less", we were told that the hotel was full and that upgrades (part of the promise, where available, to Gold card holders) were impossible. "We've had Platinum card holders in too, and we couldn't upgrade them either" was EOM's (employee of the month) next proud assertion.
We went to our rooms. A gulf-view resort, with car-park-view rooms. Lovely. Except our room had a wet carpet, covered in sand, and with an industrial sized blower hard at work (our friends view was OK). We went back to reception, and as EOM was busy doing nothing, the manager came over. Of course, he was sorry, sorry, and said he'd upgrade us right away into a suite (but we thought the place was full...).
Our upgrade was lovely, and we met our friends. The rest of the stay was great. Highlights:
- Take a chair into the Gulf, and enjoy the sunset
- Look out for the dinosaurs on Jurassic beach (you'll see what we mean)
- Go to the restaurant (forget its name, but separate building to the north-side of the hotel). Breakfast is great, and the best waitress is Winsome. We saw dolphins swimming by, and one doing x3 flips right out of the water.
This hotel is in a simply perfect spot. The Gulf view is what may would call "paradise". There are swings, hammocks and sculptures in the grounds. So come on front desk, up your act!
If my review has helped you, I'd appreciate your "helpful vote" - thank you, and I hope you have a great vacation.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Marriott, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Marriott Key Largo Bay Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Key Largo Bay Beach Hotel Key Largo
- Key Largo Marriott