“Not a True Marriot Resort” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Key Largo
prettynpink66227
“Not a True Marriot Resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

First off let me start by saying that I'm a pretty laid back person but I'm used to staying in the top hotels. After deciding to stay at the Marriot I was expecting a great hotel. I was also expecting a big beach because who wants to go to an island that has no beach? So I wake up and go explore the grounds a little to find out the pool was nothing I couldnt find in Kansas and the beach~ let me tell you, there was no beach. It was more like a small swamp with man made sand. I decided since I wanted a beach to go ask the concierge where the nearest real beach is. She got mad at me and had to firmly tell me that Key Largo was not known for their beaches and all the sand had to be imported. Are you kidding me?! We ended up driving an hour and a half up to South Beach which was really nice and the water was beautiful. Probably one of the best things about this "resort" was the dive shop. The people working there were always more than happy to help you and I felt like I had known them for a while the way they would talk. Just a heads up~ if you go snorkeling I would take some seasickness medicine before you get on the boat because half of the people were throwing up. We also rented jetskis on property for a very high price of $160 per jetski for 1 hour but it turned out to be fun. You can always see the bottom of the ocean around the resort and going parasailing was also very fun. I wouldnt go back, but the time we were there wasnt bad.

• Liked — Dive Shop
  • Disliked — Beach
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
South Elgin, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

WOW, so we are heading to Key West but needed a place to stay in Key Largo. We check out this Marriott and let me tell you.
The Beach is beautiful. The pool fabulous. The grounds are beautiful. The rooms were so nice and comfortable and clean. The staff was Great. I liked this place better than our planned stay at Southern Most on the Beach in Key West.

The pool side bar, nice. Food is great.
Dinner at Gus Grile, pricey yet the very best meal I had on the trip. I had the crab stuffed grouper. OMG!! Yummy, you eat at Gus' Grille Overlooking the Key Largo Bay and the sunset was God given. In the morning Gus' has a buffet breakfast--again FABULOUS. I highly HIGHLY recommend this hotel.

Wish we stayed longer.

• Liked — The rooms, the beach, the pool,the food EVERYTHING
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

I stayed at this location for the huge room rate reduction when you dive with Its a Dive Dive shop. The hotel room was beautiful and clean with a great shower. Everyone at the hotel was courteous and helpful and even though the hotel was full, it never felt crowded or noisy. The pool area was great even when full, with a great bar open all day. The sandwich shop on site was reasonable and delicious with great views of the sunset over the beach and water. Most importantly, Its a Dive was a fantastic experience. The Dive Masters were helpful, kind, and knowledgeable. It was my very first dive experience on reefs and the first day, the dm took me and 5 others to the City of Washington wreck. The experienced divers with me said they had never seen so much wildlife on one dive - Nurse Sharks, Reef Sharks, Loggerhead turtle, Rays, Huge Grouper, and Eels. The rest of my trip was great too. Highly reccomend Its a Dive, not just as a beginner, but even the advanced divers on the boat said what a great experience it was. They really let you have a lot of time in the water and a lot of freedom. The one bad thing about the hotel is the cost. If you're diving it is not a concern because of the great deal they give you - 129 a night when I was there, but if you are just staying it can be pricey. Be sure to eat at Sundowners up the road a ways and have the key lime martini for dessert!

• Liked — The Dive Shop
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

Pulled in and checked out! If they were to install a swimming pool in Leicester Forest Services, it would be a cleaner and more relaxing 'resort'. Read on...
We arrived here, hot and tired after a drive from Miami. This property is tired, dated and very, very noisy, as it is located immediately on US1, a fact not mentioned on their website! Luckily our room was not ready which allowed us the opportunity to look around before we checked in. Pool area (expert photographer with extra wide lens took web photo) was a riot of loud, beer swilling, chain smokers enjoying themselves in the pool itself. The bar was more suited to a bad 1980's Butlins holiday camp serving flat, syrup based pepsi (how could the US get this wrong?). The beach is an insignificant strip of sand like material leading into dirty sea water. Other reviews mention nice rooms, sorry did not get that far, but our one night booking penalty for cancelling the reservation was money well spent.
Having stayed at other, excellent, Marriott properties, we were extremely disappointed with this hotel. Please keep driving...the Keys have much more to offer.

• Liked — The exit gate
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

My family and I stayed at this property in June and had stayed there in 2001 and 2003. It's gone downhill since our initial stays and should be reclassified as a Marriott Fairfield Inn or Marriott Residence Inn.

I spend 100+ nights/yr staying in Marriott properties, so they usually treat me well and upgrade me to some nice rooms. So, here are the positives and negatives:

Positives:
- They have nice sized rooms. If you stay there and have a family, ask for one of the two bedroom suites. These also have kitchens, so you can save a fortune on meals.
- Laundry facility is on site.
- Housekeeping - The maids do a great job. Rooms very clean.
- Great views, especially at sunset.
- Location - It's only a mile from John Pennecamp Park and about an hour drive from Miami International Airport.

Negatives:
- Smokers everywhere. Marriott has gone smokefree, but not at this franchised property. Smokers at the pool all the time, on balconies, and on the property's tiny "beach."
- No Beach - They call the tiny strip of sand a beach. It's not anywhere close. If you want a nice beach and want a great Marriott property, go to Marco Island, FL.
- Sand Fleas - These little guys bite and move around everywhere on the property, including the hotel rooms!!!
- It's a Dive - On-site dive company is mediocre. Go to Rainbow Reef Divers about a mile away. They're great and much better priced.
- This place attracts some seedy looking people from Miami, especially on the weekends.

All this said, if I was planning to return to the Florida Keys, I would recommend the Cheeca Lodge (sp) on Islamorada. We toured this property after having a fantastic dinner on location at the Atlantic's Edge. Very peaceful place with lots of great family activities. Would also be great for couples.

• Liked — Large Rooms
  • Disliked — Smokers and sand fleas
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

We recently returned from the Marriott Key Largo Beach Resort. I will try to keep this straight and to the point. I would like everyone to know we are not hard to please and have used Trip Advisor for many years to decide on our vacations.

1. Rooms are above average. All rooms have either a king bed or two queens. The two queens were great considering we had four people. The linens are very nice as well. Good quality and very soft. The beds have down comforters, with feather pillows. You can ask for foam pillows if you prefer them over down pillows. If you like a very firm bed, this is for you. The matresses seemed to be good quality, but very hard. I do have to say, when your on vacation you should be too tired to notice if your having fun, right!!
2. The bathroom was large with plenty of room for two people to get ready at once. They also supplied a tub matt so you dont slip around. The maid service left enough towels for four people. They also left "pool" towels so don't bother taking your own.
3. The maid service did a good job cleaning each day except the day we were there when they came to clean. I think they just felt uncomfortable with us there.
4. Room service is available late into the night. I don't remember the exact time. Room service (all resturants) on the property are very expensive for the quality of food. I don't mind paying alot if the food is worth it. The food isn't terrible, just okay.
5. The pool is pretty good sized. It is a salt water pool so your skin doesn't feel dry and tight when you get out. They seem to have ample chairs with nice cushions. Very little shade though.
We were dissapointed that the bar closes at 7pm. There is absolutely nothing to do except float around the pool or bake in the sun. I guess we are used to all the activity of the all inclusives.
6. There is a very tiny man made beach with water you don't want to get in. Please do not go the the Keys if you want beach. We didn't know that and had to drive to Miami to go to the beach...
7. The grounds are very pretty. The staff were very nice and helpful. The only thing that put us off was the room service waiter stood there and waited for a tip when the menu clearly states 20% tip is included with your bill so we didn't feel the need to give more.
8. Don't book a "garden view". The garden view is really the employee parking lot with a few palm trees on the far side. When we made our reservation, we requested a room by the pool. We were told no problem, but when we checked in, they wanted and extra 30.00 per night so we passed.
9. The air conditioning is the room can freeze you out...no problems there.

This is a nice hotel, but we were looking for more activity. I guess that's what the Keys are about. We also weren't aware they roll the sidewalks up by 8pm. We found it a bit boring. If your looking for a place just to lay around, this is the place for you.

• Liked — The Lobby
  • Disliked — The Food
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
delcopa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

Long time Platium member,Been to Marriotts all over the world, This Place Is Not A Marriott ,or some one in Management does not know whats going on here. I travel all the time; This trip was personal, The rooms are like shoe boxes, for get the beach the water pressure is like getting pissed on. The tiki bar closes at 7:00. One bartender that is also the waitress at Breezes.I think they spent more money on the web site pictures, then they did on maintenance on this place.DO NOT GO THERE; JW Would close this place in a heart beat, Bill open your eyes. I just read your book Spirit To Serve, Get back to Basics PLEASE !!!!. Thank God I have a contact at Platium services that got me out of here earlier then i was supposed to stay. I left Marco Island Marriott to come to this hell hole and i could of just stayed there, What was i thinking (must of been good marketing pics) got me don't let it happen to you.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Marriott Key Largo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!