“NOT WHAT WE EXPECTED. Will not go back” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 NIGHTLY RESORT CREDIT
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Key Largo
“NOT WHAT WE EXPECTED. Will not go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Coming from someone who has lived most their life in FL, this place is not worth the outragous price to stay a night. If you are looking for a long walk on the beach and small local shops you can walk to, this not the place for you. Go to Clearwater Beach or Anna Maria Island, thats more of that kind of beach atmosphere. Look into Regatta beach club, thats a relaxing, private, romantic place. If you are looking for a place to take a boat out to fish, scuba dive, snorkel, or an hour and a half drive to Key West, then the Marriott is the place to stay. We were very disappointed, especially after spending so much money and reading all the wonderful reviews. Let me tell you our experience. The water was not nice, it was mucky and dark. There is no luxurious beach with sand. The rooms are nice, but we had the room with no balcony and next to the road. We could hear cars all night and it wouldve been nice to have coffee over looking the water on a private balcony. We did enjoy the pool area with a band and the bar, but I feel like I would have rather spent 500 dollars a night out on Key West on Duval St shopping and hanging by the beach, not a pool. Trust a local Floridian, you can do better than this hotel. Spend your money on a beautiful beach with clear water and local beach shops. We drove to Key West and had more fun than our remaining time at this Marriott in Key Largo.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was my second stay at the Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort. My fiance and I chose the property to have our wedding. We live in Miami but most of our family flew in from different parts of the country in order to be a part of our special day. I want to say that from beginning to end, everyone on property did a great job of catering to us and making it an unforgettable weekend.

We checked in on Thursday afternoon and we were delighted to be staying in the Penthouse Suite. We had a fantastic view overlooking the water on the fourth floor. They did a great job of setting everything up for us and we immediately felt like we were "home". Friday, we relaxed around the property and I made a point to get out and go fishing. Cathy Knowles (Catering Manager) came by and made sure that we were all setup with everything we needed in order to do our rehersal. She also introduced me to Mo, who was our "right hand man" throughout the entire evening on Saturday for our wedding.

The staff did an excellent job of accomodating all of our requests and made sure that we did not have to worry about a thing. The plated meal that they served was absolutely fantastic and the wait staff took care of all of our guests. There are so many great things to say about the entire operation. There was one server imparticular who stood out during our reception as well, his name was Andrew. I believe he is one of the servers at Gus' Grill, but he really went above and beyond for us. All-in-all, I can't say enough great things about this property. They took one of the most important days of our lives and turned it into an event that we will never forget. Thanks again everyone! (Cathy Knowles, Mo, Andrew, Cody, and everyone else who helped make it happen).

Room Tip: The property just added brand new mattresses in all of the rooms as well as new appliances. The high...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Marsh Harbour, Marsh Harbour, The Bahamas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Three night in May over Memorial Day weekend and it was a nice relaxing experience with easy check in and very nice and helpful desk staff. The parking was good with our car being two spots away from the elevator and it was under cover!
The room was very nice and clean with great beds and furniture,the only problem was we requested a king and we got two queens, when I called down they said the resort was full and there was no king available!
The view was great and almost looked like we were on a cruise ship looking at small boats running around and thunder storms off in the distance (very romantic)!
The pool area was nice with great bar service, they were on their toes and I never looked for any one or had to get up from my chair to get a drink, all I had to do was motion to them and there it was!! The food around the pool was surprising, and very good as food round the pool goes! One more note, the pool does not use chlorine but the new salt system that does not burn your eye and at the end of the day it almost feels like you don't even have to shower!!
The main onsite restaurant (Gus) was great with comfortable seating, great atmosphere, very attentive staff (shrimp scampi was my fav having it two nights in a roe).
The closeness of the highway and the smallness of the resort did not bother us and it felt island like so close to Miami!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The architecture, limited beach amenities and the highway noise makes this place feel like a very good motel rather than a Marriott resort.

This is supposedly a resort, but don't expect something like the ones in Hawaii with sprawling grounds and a wide strip of beach. Well, don't expect a beach, period. Yes, in photos it looks like there is a small white sand beach, but that is more like soft flat top limestone rock and the "sand" is whatever crumbles off the rock before it gets washed way into the gulf by the rain. The ocean is very shallow, so it might be good for young children, but the seabed which is not more than two feet deep for a long while is covered in long seaweed. Unfortunately, not much sea life beyond that if you want to snorkel.

No spot on the grounds is far from the highway, so the traffic noise is always noticeable, at all hours of the day, at the beach and in our room. Yet, I doubt you can find anything better around Key Largo. I have seen hotel complexes, much further away towards Key West, at a more reasonable distance from the highway, but none around here. We used this place just to take showers and sleep, so staying at somewhere that calls itself a "hotel" rather than "resort" would be more economical while serving the same function.

Rooms and public areas are clean and well taken care of. People at the front desk are friendly. I've noticed two gyms and there might be more. Unfortunately, the parking lot fills up pretty quickly. There are very few things to do at night. I think it would have been better for us to stay much closer to Key West.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed here on business in April. I'm Marriott Platinum and when I checked in was given not only no special treatment, but I wasn't even treated as well as any guest off the street.

The room was fine, overdecorated and nothing very special. The bathroom was like something out of 1987. This property is sorely in need of an upgrade. And the multiple building structure is not convenient.

The pool area is nice, and I imagine a lot of people stay here on points and maybe they don't care. But I wouldn't pay my own money to stay here. At least not until they make improvements, starting with staffing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights for my honeymoon and although the hotel was lovely they took 3 'authorisation' amounts from our credit card. Every hotel does it so dont be alarmed STRAIGHT away....however now nearly a month down the line after paying the final bill I am still out of pocket 300 dollars!!! Can you get in touch with anyone about it no!! 3 emails later covering every dept in the resort directly we still are out of pocket. Neadless to say will NEVER be back. Have left the same feedback with Trailfinders so nobody else gets caught out! Totally ruined the last week of our honeymoon as we were fretting about money!

• Stayed May 2013
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and I spent 5 days here, just after Memorial Day. The staff was wonderful and we had a nice room that was upgraded because of our Platinum level based on stays. Our rate was very inexpensive and for the price, we could not have done better. We did have to take towels and place at the threshold of the entry door to block the light at night---the 1/2 to 3/4 inch space allowed the room to glow from the lights outside. Additionally, the fire alarm/sensor in the room fired a couple of white hot lights a couple of times per minute and lit the room up....Just annoying. The beds were comfortable and the room quiet.

The bathroom area was pretty dark and needs some upgrading. The rooms have a safe but it is pretty small...not much larger than a small to medium sized women's purse.

The parking area under the building is pretty tight and we know of at least one incident of a couple of cars being damaged due to the tight quarters. There is overflow parking out front but on our last evening, it was jam packed.

The pool area is very nice and has comfortable lounge chairs. The bar attendants walk around and provide nice service. The food at the pool was nice with a good selection.

We've been coming to the keys for a number of years and unfortunately, IMHO, things have declined. The traffic is much worst than it used to be and some of our favorite classic restaurants have closed. A previous review mentioned a $200 price point, and I agree with that. We paid less and if it had been substantially more money, I would have rated it as average. On Saturday, the pool area had some live music that seemed to be a little too loud...i.e. no veg out and laid back time at the pool.

We had a wonderful housekeeper---Teresa. What a wonderful lady. The grounds were clean and taken good care of. As previously mentioned, the staff were wonderful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Key Largo Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!