“Stop off on way to Key West” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   97000 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Key Largo
Manchester
“Stop off on way to Key West”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We booked this hotel as a stopping off point, to break the journey between Maimi and Key West. We arrived late and left the next morning. The staff were friendly and polite. The room was clean and spacious, clean bedding and bathroom. However it is dated and could do with a refurbishment. It is located on the beach so a nice stroll in the morning. There is very little else within walking distance and places seem to close early evening. Pick up beers + wine at the gas station and a pizza at the take away before you checkin, there is a fridge in the room. It was my first time to the keys and I expected Key Largo to have more life, like Key West but it is a sleepy little village. OK for an overnight stay, but I would say go elseware for a holiday

Room Tip: Some rooms face the sea, others the car park, there is a lot of trees blocking the rooms view of the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Stephen_Brower, Front Office Manager at Hilton Key Largo Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Greeting Mr_happyManchester,
Thank you for sharing your stop over in Key Largo enroute to Key West. Our location does offer nice area to visit when your looking to get away from the hustle & bustle of city life. Although there may not be the night life found in Key West, there are many great dining experiences to be found as well as world class fishing and diving. We hope to see you on your next trip to the Florida Keys.
Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great value for price. Hotel staff was very accommodating and professional. I would return here with no problem. Beach was small but driving around, all the beaches on the keys look very small. Plenty of things to do in the hotel with the water sports they have. Great restaurants around here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hello FA68721,
Thank you for sharing your visit to the HIlton Key Largo Resort. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our tropical beach and water sports activities. We understand that finding a nice beach in the Florida Keys can be difficult with all the native Coral on most water front locations. Our white sand beaches are a great setting to enjoy the waters to their fullest.
Many thanks,
Yorktown, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed a few days here back in October of 2012. When I think of Hilton I think of quality...not so much for this Hilton Hotel. Check-in was smooth and the front desk was very friendly and polite. We stayed in a king water view room. Upon entering our room I was a little taken aback by the smell and quality of the room. The smell was musty (almost like a gym locker room) and the room was nothing impressive. My friend and I were so surprised by the quality, smell, and condition of the room we seriously thought about leaving and going back to a wonderful hotel we had just left in Islamorada. The plus side of the hotel is the grounds...they are beautiful with hammocks along the shoreline, small private beach areas, snorkeling, and we even took part in the onsite jet ski and kayak rental! In addition we also enjoyed an in room massage by the onsite massage therapist. She was a hoot! :) I would say overall the hotel is decent but not what I expected from the Hilton.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Stephen_Brower, Front Office Manager at Hilton Key Largo Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Bmv1974,
So glad to see that you choose to visit the Hilton Key Largo Resort while returning to the Florida Keys. I agree that the 4th floor rooms offer a commanding view of the Florida Bay. We thank you for your suggestion to have coffee available in our lobby area in the morning, I will convey your suggestion to my team. We do offer in-room breakfast beginning at 7am each day as well as pre-ordering room service breakfast for a stress-free morning. We are currently reviewing a renovation program and hope to exceed your expectations in the future.
All the best,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The plus side.. Great little get away spot, fun drinks at the tiki bar to sip while watching the sunset, short nature path on the walkway to the beach, pleasant staff and convenient location.

My only concern is that for the price, the Hilton in Key Largo does not compare to other Hilton locations that I've visited in terms of cleanliness and upkeep. The motel-style doors and tile flooring was underwhelming. The beach is small and, at least when I was there, squirming with little ones! This is a fun family place to stay, however was not as convenient for a relaxing break.

Breakfast was fresh and peaceful, however expensive ($12 fruit plate). Next time, I'd plan on making it all the way down to Key West, but if I need to stop in Key Largo, I'd go back to the Hilton in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the more natural (less crowded) beachside for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Flyyogagal,
Thank you for sharing your recent stay at the Hilton Key Largo Resort. I am happy to have read that you visited our hotel while on your way to Key West. Sometimes a swim and a visit to our Tiki Bar at sunset on our beach is a perfect break. We are currently reviewing renovation options and look forward to you return visit in the future.
Enjoy
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is our third trip to the Florida Keys and I would say the Hilton was the best of the hotels we stayed at. The property was very nice, lots of greenery/trees and great water views. I can undestand how some folks might be dismayed by the trees if staying on a lower level because they do block the ocean views but we requested and received a room on the 4th (top) floor. The room itself was spacious, clean, and layed out well. I agree that the rooms need to be refurbished - the furniture was chipped and sofa in room was worn and sunk in.

I also have issue with "resort fee". I knew it existed going in but still think it is absurd for any hotel to charge a fee on top of the room rate for items that some guests may use and others do not. Wifi is included in room rates at most hotels these days and parking fees are typically only charged in large cities. As far as local phone calls, who uses that these days? Most people have cell phones. If guests want to use their bicycles, then charge them for it - not everyone else that doesn't use them. They also need to have their front desk staff explain this to guests at check-in and tell us what it is covering. We weren't informed of what it included. On our third day here I decided to use the included wifi only to find out that you need a code to access it that no one ever told us about.

The propery was very clean and had a very tropical feel to it. We enjoyed the beaches alot, the hammock beach was very peaceful and the main beach was nice as well.
I know some folks mention staying at the Cheeca as opposed to the Hilton. I'm sure its a wonderful resort but it is also atleast double the cost of the Hilton for a standard room.

Housekeeping forgot on several days to clean or leave amenities in the room . One day it was shampoo/conditioner/hand towels, another day it was body wash/mouth wash, and another it was forgetting to clean the sink/vanity. We had to call almost daily to have these items sent up to the room. This seems to be a common issue in this area though as we experienced the same issue to a larger extent at a different hotel last year.

Only had breakfast one morning at the on-site restaurant - it was good but expensive as expected. Dined off property for the rest of the stay.

Suggestion for the management - have coffee available in the morning in the lobby or gift shop. We didn't care for the in room coffee makers and drove to Starbucks to get it. Would much prefer to get it on-site and be able to sit on balcony and enjoy the view with morning coffee.

Overall I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again, especially if they invest some money in updating the rooms.

Room Tip: Get a water view - top floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Russ_Cronberg, Manager at Hilton Key Largo Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear BMV1974,

Thank you so much for taking time to leave your detailed feedback about our property. While we are happy that you would stay again and enjoyed all the unique items that we believe make our property standout we are disapointed in some of the items you noted. We take all of our guests feedback very serious and will take what you have left and examine and address with our staff.

Once again thank you for staying with us and we do hope to see you back again next year or even sooner!

Best,
Russ
Oceanside, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed for four nights at the Hilton Key Largo for our daughter's wedding. I found the hotel a lovely location for a wedding and the wedding planners and staff were wonderful in making it a special day.

The hotel itself is older but I rather like the laid back ambience that that gives the location. The beach facilities were excellent, and everyone in our party had a great time. We stayed in Room 445, and the afternoons were a bit noisy for napping, but the view was magnificent, and the patio an extra bonus.

Food was quite good, although the breakfast was repetitive and had we been paying (our breakfast was complimentary-$5 for an upgrade to hot food--with Hilton Honors) I would have found somewhere else to eat.

Very relaxing spot for a vacations, and a wonderful wedding venue.

Room Tip: The other side of the hotel (overlooking hammock beach) might have been quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mary C,

Thank you so much for your feedback and sharing such a special occassion for your daughter and family with our property. We are so excited we could exceed your expectations to provide you the type of experience that helps make those types of occassions even more memorable.

We hope the lucky couple will be back to celebrate future anniversaries and who knows maybe even you can tag along again!

Best Travels,
Russ
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I usually have no issues with Hilton hotels. My wife and I have been to the Keys many times, as we live in southern Palm Beach County and the Keys are a convenient 90 minute drive away. We gave the Hilton a try and came away disappointed.

Reasons: Parking is expensive, not complimentarty. As I recall it was about $15.00 a day.
Next, no free wi-fi in the rooms. That cost another $12.00 a day. The beds were mediocre. When we called about how truly uncomfortable they were we were told that they were new beds.
The staff at the front desk was at best neutral toward us upon check-in. The restaurant was okay, but nothing special.

We booked a three day stay, but left after the second day. Afterwards, we got all sorts of phone calls and emails expressing their apologies. Overall, we spent about $500.00 for a couple days of dissatisfaction. Much happier at the Marriott at Key Largo, and don't plan going back to the Hilton -- ever. Sad, because the location is beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask in advance about the beds.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear RJK,

I am sorry to hear your disatisfaction with some of our incidental charges. Within the past couple of months we eliminated those incidental charges in favor of a Resort Charge of $18 instead of the $14 parking, $13 internet, phone calls, and other amenities that we charged for. I am sorry if this was not portrayed to you at check-in and that you also encountered other challenges with our service because that is the one thing we speak about daily is going above and beyond in our service for our guests as you stated with our attempts to contact you to resolve your challenges. I think it could be said that If we didn't care we wouldn't have gone to the calls and emails to apologize for those challenges and would have done nothing.

Should you stay again at any of our competitors and miss the features of our wonderful resort please contact me directly to help with your booking.

Best Regards,
Russ Cronberg

Been to Hilton Key Largo Resort? Share your experiences!