“Very Average or below Hilton Average” 3 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Winter Rates from $219
Ranked #11 of 17 hotels in Key Largo
Boca Raton, Florida
“Very Average or below Hilton Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We are Hilton Gold Elite members, so this will tell you we travel a lot and always use Hilton. We are here using points. The hotel is in major need of upgrading. Our room looks out at trees, it has a very old decor and smells musty. Even the sink is cracked in the bathroom but all these issues we will take up with Hilton. We called immediately down to the office to see if we could get another room but everything is full. There was a wedding here yesterday so everything was changed around for it. The bar ran out of what we drink and there was no effort at all to find or get another bottle of Maker's Mark. This place could be a diamond but right now it is a little rough. IF...we come back, we will only stay in a room with water views. The trees and lack of sun are causing this musty smell because sun never hits this room. Key Largo is like being in the carribean....take it slow mon and don't worry about a thing, right? That's what you need to do here!

Room Tip: ask for water view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Russ_Cronberg, Manager at Hilton Key Largo Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear loveagoodmeal,

Thank you for staying with us at our hotel and I appreciate your honesty. We look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest room is an area we are actively examining. We're working with various other teams to ensure we're doing all we can to provide a great guest experience. Part of that service is anticipating guest needs and exceeding expectations. I'm terribly sorry we fell short of offering you that. I apologize for the disappointment and I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share. We hope you will come back and give us another chance.

Kind regards,

1,689 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
Northport, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I want to start my review by saying that I really enjoyed our stay in the Hilton Key Largo, but it is far from being worthy of being called a resort. It does not offer very good amenities, the rooms are like a motel (a clean, comfortable motel), they don't upgrade you even though they have the room, so don't expect to be treated as if you mattered - you'll be treated kindly, with respect, but not extraordinarily well as you would in many 5 star resorts who try to lure you into coming back again by upgrading you whenever possible. The beach there however is the very best one I saw in the Keys - I know this will be disappointing for some readers. It is the clearest, nicest, calmest water and best quality sand. And we went to many beaches, including Bahia Honda State Park beaches and Key West. It is a small beach though. The rooms are clean, as are the bathrooms, you get good quality shower products, a shower cap and a hair dryer in your closet. There was no full length mirror (that always upsets me), and their pool is very small. The hotel looks much nicer at night than during the day. During the day it's like you're back in the 1960's. The food at the bar by the beach was very good, but simple (finger foods and sandwiches as well as some salads). I tried their fish sandwich and it was amazing. The waitress there was super friendly as well. Their squirrels take food right off your hands and at times let you pet them. There are plenty of activities (such as jet skiing, paddle boarding and kayaking) that you can do right there at the hotel beach. It's a great choice for the price. But again, expect to carry your own luggage to your outdated room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Russ_Cronberg, Manager at Hilton Key Largo Resort, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Camilla M,

We're so glad we had the privilege of serving you and appreciate your feedback. We always love hearing from our guests because it lets us know what we're doing right and how we can improve. It's nice to know that you enjoyed our white sandy beach location and it's the best one in Key West. We've shared your feedback about the fish sandwich with our culinary team so we can keep this as a suggestion for other guests and we will continue to explore other offerings outside of finger foods. We'll also keep your additional comments in mind as we continuously work to improve our guests' satisfaction. We hope you will consider staying with us again and experiencing the quality service and surroundings you deserve, should you return to the area in the future.

Warm regards,
West Milford, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We returned to this property for a long weekend to celebrate my wife's birthday. This place is unique. It's a quiet place with lots of spots to read, relax or float in the bay. Two pools as well (one reserved for adults). There's also a watersports facility on property if you're interested in getting out on the water. The staff are very nice (especially Lianna). We will definitely return again. A great place for families with small children. John Pennekamp State Park is nearby and worth a trip.

Room Tip: High rooms have a view over the canopy, lower rooms are very private.
Dear Rjsooley,

Thank you for your positive feedback and your recent stay with us. We couldn't agree more with your comments and hope that we can provide that type of experience for you again in the future!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I've traveled to many hotels. This one was average. It was like a glorified Holiday Inn. Rooms are entered through outside and room furniture was worn out and needed refreshing of carpet, paint, and furniture. Cell phone service was difficult to get and hotel wifi wasn't working well. The restaurant was expensive for a very small choice of breakfast buffet.

On to the positives! It was clean even though it was worn out in the rooms. The grounds had lush vegetation that was well kept. It is meant to be overgrown and has nice paths through the foliage. It is in a beautiful, preserve style location on a clear blue lagoon where you can sit, swim, have a drink at the bar, watch the sunset, play ping pong, and listen to music from the speakers. There were many on site activities and a beach bar! The pool area was gorgeous and had one for adults and one for families. The lobby was also beautiful.

Overall, with a little room refreshing and some new beach and pool towels (they were old), a fixed up beach bar area, more attractions in the common areas (coffee and water should always be available in the lobby), and more decor in the common areas (it was kind of bare and had an empty feeling), then it could be much more than it is right now.

I wouldn't stay here agin unless the beach bar was nice and new, the rooms were refreshed, and the place was spruced up a bit. Then it would be worth the $220 I spent to stay there.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear TravelWell954,

Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. I appreciate your honesty. We look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest room is an area we are actively examining. Your feedback will be shared with our ownership as we examine how we can continue to try and enhance our guests experiences.

Vernon Hills, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I checked in at the Hilton Key Largo on Dec. 25 with my brother & 2 nephews. We had 2 rooms. My room wasn't ready upon arrival, which was fine. My brother was provided with a lot if information about the hotel and after stowing our bags in his room we headed to the beach for lunch (the only option for fiod at the hotel mid afternoon ). The food was okay at best. It is made in the restaurant and then carried to the beach in plastic or styrophome containers.

The hotel has all the makings for a fantastic location, but they are just missing the mark. The food in the only restaurant there is good but could be great. I will say that the serving staff were wonderful. Super friendly and attentive.

The hotel common areas didn't seem clean. Just a general dirty feel, but the beach area, although not huge was ckean and well mauntained. Super soft sand!

My room was nicely laid out, super comfy bed, but the carpets need cleaning. The cleaning staff for my room were constantly messing up my towels. Taking the bath matt one day, no wash cloths another.

The pool area was very nice as well, but I spent the majoriry of time at the beach.

The worse thing about the stay was from the "concierge" who I received an email from saying I could contact her if I needed any assistance wuth plans while there. I responded asking for help in finding a restaurant in the area that would be open for dinner on Christmas. Preferably a place with a water view. I never received a responce. I even called the day prior to arrival to follow up but got voicemail, so I keft a message. I never got a call. I hoped upon arrival there would be info waiting. Nothing. We had a mediocre dinner at the hotel that night. From there I did a lot if research on my own and found some nuce spots. REALLY DISAPPOINTING.

Would I go back?? Not sure. There isn't anything to do there at the hotel at night. No music, no activities, etc. The location sure was pretty and relaxing though. Like I said, great potential.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear fyfera,

Thank you for taking the time to review. We’re very sorry your experience with us was less than top notch. I apologize that our concierge staff never returned your call and can assure you this has been addressed. We're also working with our chef on new menu options and a wider selection. We appreciate you alerting us to these issues and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area.

Kind regards,
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Judging by other reviews on this site it seems to make all the difference which room you are in.
We were very lucky, we were upgraded to a sea view suite (room 254) and the view out over the ocean to the little islands/ keys in the Everglades park was film worthy.
We had dinner in the hotel twice and the food was very good and the service attentive.
Breakfasts are from a decently stocked buffet or more expensively a la carte - I love the American idea of pancakes and syrup whilst my husband stayed British with eggs and toast - or venturing onto an omelette.
Key Largo is a very narrow strip of land,so I don't think you will be ale to stay anywhere that you can't hear the road. But the Hilton did a good job of disguising the noise with a waterfall at the pool, and at the beach gentle not too offensive lift/ beach music. Also they've kept the trees between hotel and road and planted bamboo to get that susurration effect of the wind.
The sand is all imported - you need a surf for sand and there's none here- but the beach is very clean, they keep it well. Friday night was a bonfire and s'mores on the beach.
We thought Key Largo was well placed to explore the keys and the Everglades.
Top tips - get a sea view and watch out for mile marker 97 the hotel is just after that on the right - you can only get into the hotel on the southbound side of US1.

Room Tip: Get a sea view at all costs !
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Russ_Cronberg, Manager at Hilton Key Largo Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Patricia M,

Thank you so much for your recent feedback and lovely review of your experience. We too couldn't agree more that the views are breathtaking and we could only wish that all of our rooms had that same view! I am glad that you also enjoyed our restaurant and that you ventured off the beaten path to experience the pancakes, those are my favorite too!

We hope the next time you come down to our little piece of heaven that you will stay with us again!

Best Travels,
Orange Beach, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Excellent stay. We would stay again. Beautiful view of beach. Manatees swam by while we were swimming. Next trip, I will rent a pontoon boat. I liked Key Largo much better that Key west. Beautiful setting.

Room Tip: Ask for third floor beach front room. Canopy view looks at trees and some rooms look at parking lot.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Leo E,

Thank you so much for your recent stay with our property and taking the time to write about it! We would agree that Key Largo is much calmer and provides a much different experience than Key West which we love!

We are glad you love it too and look forward to seeing you next time you are in the area!

Russ

Been to Hilton Key Largo Resort? Share your experiences!