“Just like when I was in the keys 30 years ago” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Key Largo House Boatel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Key Largo
Key Largo House Boatel
You added Key Largo House Boatel to your Saves list
MM 103.5, next to Hideout Restaurant, Key Largo, FL   |
Austin, Texas
“Just like when I was in the keys 30 years ago”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I took a chance that my wife, grandson and his mother would like it. We selected the Crow's Nest because it had two bedrooms, two balconies, a great view. It is on top of George's floating apartment and office. When we arrived we were a little taken back about how rustic it was. You had to go up a metal circular stairwell to get to the "Nest." And it did not have the amenities of a condo, but we were not looking for that. It had lively neighbors, a quite neighborhood. And George was really nice and friendly. He very attentive and did not mind a seven year old running back and forth above him. It did have a TV in each closet, but limited closet space. The kitchen was like when I was in college in my first apartment. No stove, just an electric frying pan and electric deep fat fryer. The Microwave wasn't working well, but George said he would fix it. And the boat listed a couple of degrees.

But all that aside we had a blast. The decks were inviting, An Iguana showed up daily, great view, We cooked on the bar-b-q and that was fine. Would I recommend it? It all depends to whom. Many of my friends wouldn't like it, but my dear friends would like it as much as we did. It is funky and that was the keys experience I was looking for.

Room Tip: It doesn't have a pool
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Malmö, Skåne Län, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Payed $70 for a really small room, but I guess this is as cheap as it gets in the Keys. Big kudos to the owner who was super helpful with extra mattress and lending me tools. Seems lots of nice, friendly people stay there too, men some great folks!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
boca raton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We love this place. We come down about every 6 weeks from boca raton just to get away, even though its only 2 hours it seem like your a million miles away. This time we stayed on the floating hotel top floor with sliding doors open to the water it was so relaxing. we even slept
with them open so peaceful. thanks george for suggesting our room....see ya soon

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for our first time in Feb and absolutely loved it. Will definitely be back. It's not a 4 star hotel but if you want an affordable place on the water with a great atmosphere this is your place. Very romantic and peaceful cove with a restaurant on site. Beautiful place.

• Stayed February 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The boathouse was good and the people there was soooo nice... It was worth the money and was a good deal. We stayed the for 4 days and it was nice. We will go back next time we in the keys they will be the first one we go to. The room we got was the crow nest and it had the best views. We sat out on the deck and eat breakfast every morning. The owner was honest and always tried to help with questions.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was excited to stay off the beaten path and get a true experience of the Keys, but got a bit more than I bargained for in the end. We arrived on Wednesday afternoon, and a light in Boat #2 was being replaced so George asked us to come back later. He was super nice and made sure it was fixed, and that housekeeping cleaned our room the next day. It was quite during the day and at night which was nice. However, a couple of nights into the trip I awoke to a bug crawling on my hand. I grew up camping, and am an Outward Bound Alumni so certain bugs don't bother me. I flicked it off and went back to sleep until one crawled across my face. I then got up to find my bed littered with bed bugs. My friend checked his bed and also found bed bugs. It was 1:30am so there was not much we could do other than pack our things and leave. We had paid up front for the entire trip so we left a night on the table, but hopefully that money will be used to clean the boat thoroughly. (From other reviews I read it didn't seem like I was going to get a refund). I left a note for the owner along with the key for the boat, but he never called to follow up. All of our luggage had to be quarantined and our clothes washed several times which took close to 6 hours once we made it home. Bags had to be vacuumed, washed and sprayed and food thrown out. (Beds were in close conjunction with the kitchen) I'm sure in its prime the Boatel was awesome, but unfortunately I can no longer say that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
theboatelKeyLargo, Manager at Key Largo House Boatel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
The guests checked out early and left a note explaining their problem. I immeadiately called the exterminator and we thoroughly inspected the boat. We could not find a trace of a bug. I was informed that the guests bring the bugs to you in their luggage and some times they leave with them. Thank God this was the case. They were two nice young college students and they had an excessive amount of luggage. This is our busy season and their boat has been occupied continuosly prior to and after their stay with no one mentioning a problem. The fact that they had to deal with their luggage when they got home supports what the exterminator said. The interesting thing in their note that they didn't want a refund for their last night and in their review in they say I didn't call them about a refund. Strange?
Boynton Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I've stayed here once at the Crows Nest and really enjoyed my stay that I wanted to come back. The Crows Nest was not available but George was so accommodating that he gave us 2 rooms at the Floating Inn (5&6). Had another couple come down for the weekend and it was just perfect! Just what we needed! If you are looking for a 4 star hotel, go to a 4 star hotel, but if you want a 5 star view of largo sound, stay at the Floating Inn Room 6. This place is off the beaten path, tucked away and was perfect for a nice weekend getaway. The Hideout restaurant has really good home cooked meals and you gotta have the biscuits and gravy! I cannot speak of the other rooms or house boats, but the rooms I stayed in were clean and everything was in working order. This place is definitely unique and in my opinion is a good reflection of what the tru Florida Keys are all about....simplicity.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Key Largo House Boatel? Share your experiences!