“Such a disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 19 Key Largo B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Such a disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

When we arrived at the hotel the front desk clerk was pleasant, but the atmosphere was completely ruined by the house keeping manager who had been called in on her day off to fix some sort of problem they were having withtheir staff. This woman was swearing, complaining and airing the hotel's dirty laundry in the hotel's lobby at the top of her voice.

We were going to go to the pool but found it to be dirty and there were no towels or services available. The hotel's ocean front swimming is what seemed to be an old boat launch and the water if full of fuel from the boats that are anchored 20 yards away. There were some chaise lounges available, but they were broken and filthy...so we went to the bar next door to watch the sunset instead and sat at the bar to get a drink and order food. After 45 minutes we still got no food, so we decided to go to another restaurant nearby (Mrs. Mac's- delicious- go there!).

Our room was pretty dirty, especially the bathroom and our sheets had not been changed. We knew this from the hair that was on the sheets when we pulled back the covers. It was late, so we slept in it anyway.

Upon check out the next day (One night cost me over $225), the same desk clerk was working so I decided to help him out a bit by very quietly telling him that our room had been a vicitim of the previous day's housekeeping problem. I wanted nothing from him, just wanted to tell him.

What did he do? He called me a liar.

If you don't care about paying a crazy amount for a dirty hotel with an even dirtier attitude, this is the place for you!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Tropical view = neighbors fence and blue tarp
Worn out mattress = sore back
That's about all I can say about it
Water for shower very hot or scolding
.......................................................

Seaford, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This motel is in a wonderful location, with beautiful views of the bay. Starbucks is within a very short walking distance. I have been visiting Key Largo for many years and had always contemplated booking a room there as opposed to a big chain. On my way upstairs to my room I noticed the tiled walkways were very dirty and the trash cans were extremely dirty. I was hoping this wouldn't be the case with my room also. The bathroom floor had long black hairs, around the base of the toilet was VERY dirty, and we wore slipper socks whenever we walked on the tile floor in the room. The fridge and microwave also had not been wiped out, and were dirty. The one ice machine at the motel was out of order. Sitting on the veranda outside of the office in the morning to enjoy the small continental breakfast that is provided would have been pleasant had the veranda flooring, trash cans and tables been cleaned. I will book at a different motel when I return in a few months, which is a shame, the motel has SO MUCH potential.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This would be a nice place if Management actually cared about customer service. The General Manager is RUDE, CRUDE, & SOCIALLY UNACCEPTABLE. The tidiness, or better yet, lack there of, is a shame because the surroundings are actually quite pleasant and this place could have a lot of potential. I have read several reviews now and I don't expect Management to contact me unless they are providing the name, phone number, and address of the Inn's owner.

My party stayed here right after Christmas. We arrived at a little after 4 and our room wasn't ready. We were told that it was due to the holidays and that the party that used the room before us stayed beyond check out time. On the first appearance that would make sense because the grounds looked very nice. We asked if we could use a rest room and were told to use the one in the gym. The gym had old and torn equipment. The bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks.

We left to get a bite to eat and returned about 2 hours later. Our room was ready but within 15 minutes of being there we got a knock at the door from housekeeping. They realized they hadn't left us soap or shampoo. We laughed but understood under the circumstances. That's when we learned that the GM didn't look at their online reservations and hadn't notified the staff of additional rooms they needed to prepare. Well I'm not really sure what they did to prepare a room but clean is not what they do. When we went to get in the shower we found that the bottom of our feet were black from the dirt on the floor.

Next morning we went down for the continental breakfast. A number of us were looking at the selection. One gentleman had pulled the lid off of a cereal bowl and innocently put it on the table to get some milk. That's when the GM showed up and basically moved us all out of the way so that he could refill the milk. Thats when the GM basically yelled at all of us standing there to use the garbage can instead of putting the paper on the table. He didn't give the guy a chance to do the right thing before being plum rude.

We left to go fishing and see some sites. We returned in the evening and found that the room was never touched. The bed wasn't made, the floors were still filthy, and the housekeeping staff was gone.

The next day we stayed in the room until about 2:30 pm. House keeping hadn't stopped by so I went to talk to the Management. There was a gentleman trying to check in with the Manager but the General Manager was having trouble completing the transaction. He was literally cursing at the computer. Annoyed by the computer the GM took it out on me. He asked how he could help me and I asked if he could get someone to clean our room. His response was curt and rude. "They are out there and will get it eventually." That's when I told him they didn't do it the day before and at this point we were at the end of our roll of toilet paper. An apology and assurance would have been in order but I got nothing just a glare. I left at that point. When we came back the room had been tidied but the floor was still filthy.

We went out to their beech area and found that the wooden dock was falling apart and was roped off from use. At that point my party and I knew that this Management team didn't have a clue what customer service was or how to ensure maintenance is performed.

We spent the next two days there and they never came back to tidy the room. Needless to say we won't stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kelso, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

If I could give this hotel zero stars I would. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed. The filth exceeded anything I have ever seen in a hotel or even a youth hostel. The room had clearly not been cleaned in months, from going to the shower to her bed my mothers socks were so blackened it would not wash out. The bathroom was filthy and the I am not so sure the bedding was clean. The maid did not make the beds or clean while we were there and actually on one day poured her coffee in the sink and left it dirtier than when we had left the room that morning. Additionally, there is not beach, there is a jetty with a dangerous pier at the end of it. The ice machine did not work, the rooms are dark and have little lighting (to cover up the dirt perhaps). The curtains were not hooked to the wall and fell down as I was walking past them. I have traveled throughout third world countries and would stay a month at the second worst hotel I have ever been in rather than stay one night here.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

wee looked on the internet for weeks, called places and decided on Bayside Inn. When we arrived the place and the room was very clean. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The Inn is located in a good spot, all of the restaurants we ate at were great! The weather was better than we could have asked for! The fishing was awsome! The new owners and staff were all helpful. I feel that the Bayside Inn was definitely the right choice I will stay there next time! My stay was ( 12/23 to 12/30 ) Thank you, Dale !!

• Stayed December 2012
Ft. myers
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

if you are prepared for a 2 star hotel you will be fine. here is whats good. nice little beach to view sunsets . nice restaurant right next door on the beach. nice bar to have a drink and watch the sunsets. very short walk to Starbucks .

here the bad. 1 of our 3 rooms had a moldy smell. one room had a very loud air conditioner. room service was very poor. rooms were not terribly clean and service was slow so we did not get into two of the rooms till 5PM.

TV channel selection was poor and no HD, bad if your a sports junkie

our family took one look at the breakfast and headed to Burger King right across the street.

If price is your main issue and you wont be in your room much you might consider Bayside

Room Tip: ps 98 % of rooms look at a parking lot, but there are two suites that look at the Bay for more $
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Bayside Inn Key Largo? Share your experiences!